4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2012 9:39 AM by EditB4301

PSD import losing text

EditB4301

I have a PSD with several text layers that fill the layer vertically and extend beyond the visible edges horizontally. For example, one is the word general. In the PSD it is positioned with the 'ene' in the center of the document, but I can scroll to reveal the remaining letters. When I bring the PSD into PPro it only shows the 'ene' and I can no longer scroll to reveal the remaining letters.

I've tried importing individual layers and as a sequence selecting layer size and document size. The PSD is the same dimensions as the PPro project. I'm not sure what else to try and haven't been able to find any further instructions.

Does anyone know what I need to do so that I can import the layer with the full word? Both the PSD and PPro project are in CS6 on a Mac running OSX 10.6.8.

Thanks

• 1. Re: PSD import losing text
          the_wine_snob Level 9

With an Imported PSD, there is not really a "scroll," per se.

However, to reveal material, that is effectively "cropped" by the Frame Size, you can adjust the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position.

I create a lot of Titles in PS, and use multiple Text Layers, as I often want to animate the Layers separately. I always create those on a New Image, that is the exact pixel x pixel dimensions, as my Project's Frame Size (sounds like about what you are doing), OR will create them, so that I can animate Motion>Position, to create a Roll. I also create the New Image with Guides for Title Safe Area. In the case of a Roll, I only use the width, and not the height, since I will animate to reveal the Text that is initially off-screen.

Check out Motion>Position, to see if you do have all of your Text, but are just not seeing it.

If you do not wish to do a Roll, redo the Titles, and keep all Text within the Title Safe Area.

Good luck, and let us know if that Text IS there, but just effectively cropped by the Frame Size.

Hunt

• 2. Re: PSD import losing text
            EditB4301 Level 1

Thanks Hunt. You stated that a bit better than I did.

I tried adjusting both the position and scale. Neither of those revealed the cropped letters so it seems as though what is being imported is limited to overall dimensions of the PSD and not necessarily the individual layer.

I can certainly redo the PSD. I was just hoping there was some workaround that I was missing since the original file was created by someone else and I don't want to run into the same problem in future. I'm still trying a few things so if I come up with anything that works I will post it here.

• 3. Re: PSD import losing text
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, I think that I see the problem.

If your Canvas, in Photoshop, is smaller than the Text Layer, that "extra" material (extra pixels) will be cropped when you Save the Image.

Go back to PS, and extend your Canvas (I would keep that enlarged Canvas to Transprent for the Background), to include those pixels.

When I am creating a Rolling Title in PS, my Canvas often ends up being, say 1920 x 4000 pixels, for long credit Rolls. Then, I use Motion>Position to animate that Text Layer (Import as a Sequence).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PSD import losing text
                EditB4301 Level 1

That did it. I guess I just wasn't thinking it through well enough.

Problem solved.

Thanks for the help.