5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2012 5:28 PM by netsys Guru

Dreamweaver reports file "not found" when attempting to open files from SMB server...

Andrew__M

User's work-files are hosted on a Windows Server 2003 SP2 volume accessed via SMB. She's been opening and saving the files from the server successfully in Dreamweaver for years from other Macs running Dreamweaver CS4.

Now she has an iMac running 10.7.4 and Dreamweaver CS6... and it's not the SMB problem you'd expect.

She mounts the server volume. She opens and saves files normally with full r/w permissions from any app... except Dreamweaver. For any file that she attempts to open in Dreamweaver -- whether from the Finder or from within Dreamweaver -- Dreamweaver pops up an alert reporting that the file at the file-path was not found. The same file is easily accessible from other apps and from the Finder. She continues to have full read/write access to the shared volume.

Local copies of the files do not have the problem. It only affects files hosted on the server and it only happens in Dreamweaver.

So, I create a new user account and everything works fine... The user mounts the sharepoint, opens a file with Dreamweaver... perfectly normal. Then she quits Dreamweaver and relaunches it... everything's fine. Repeatedly. It all works normally. She quits Dreamweaver and unmounts the share, then she mounts the share again and tries to open a file in Dreamweaver again... and it reports that the file was not found.

This is reproducible: If the server volume has been mounted and unmounted repeatedly under any user account, that triggers the error which continues occurring under that user account from that point on. A restart will not fix it. A safe-boot will not fix it. (In fact, restarting seems to trigger the problem by unmounting the volume.)

I tried trashing the entire contents of the ~/Library folder in one of the test-user accounts. It doesn't fix the problem. Once it strikes a user account, the only temporary fix seems to be using a new user account. And that's like a ticking time bomb just waiting for the problem to pop up again.

Any ideas?

TIA!!

• 2. Re: Dreamweaver reports file "not found" when attempting to open files from SMB server...
          Andrew__M Level 1

That link doesn't work. Do you have another?

I was hoping that someone would have a solution.

Any idea how to isolate the cause?

It seems to be linked to a user account, but it has nothing to do with the contents of the ~/Library folder. Where else might Dreamweaver be writing files in a user's Home folder?

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver reports file "not found" when attempting to open files from SMB server...
            David_Powers Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

The closing slash was the problem. This should work: http://adobe.ly/DWBug.

I was hoping that someone would have a solution.

Any idea how to isolate the cause?

This is a user-to-user forum. You might be lucky finding someone who has encountered the same problem, but the scenario you're describing is a little out of the ordinary run of the mill. Filing a report through the official form sends the details directly to the Dreamweaver engineering team. They don't respond to all reports, but if it's a known issue, they often get in touch and help directly.

• 4. Re: Dreamweaver reports file "not found" when attempting to open files from SMB server...
              Andrew__M Level 1

Thank you. I have submitted a bug report.

In the meantime, if anyone can think of any troubleshooting steps to try, please tell me. It's costing a great deal of time to work around the problem by making local copies of every work folder and then copying files back to the server periodically and all of the designers in the department are understandably frustrated.

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver reports file "not found" when attempting to open files from SMB server...
                netsys Guru

I've seen on two computers so far. Looking at the mount point under unix, the share is being mounted at two different locations. This is normal behaviour for Macs when you mount two different shares with the same name.

From terminal I run:

df

Which returns something like

/dev/disk0s2                           1951845952 224463456 1726870496    12%    /

devfs                                         360       360          0   100%    /dev

map -hosts                                      0         0          0   100%    /net

map auto_home                                   0         0          0   100%    /home

//user@192.168.80.64/website  204360384  38067872  166292512    19%    /Volumes/website

//user@192.168.80.64/website  204360384  38067872  166292512    19%    /Volumes/website-1

map -fstab                                      0         0          0   100%    /Network/Servers

Notice that the share "website" has been mounted once as website, and again as website-1. This is the underlying unix name for the share, which is how most programs (99% sure including Adobe suite products) will reference files. So, if it thinks that the file is at /Volumes/website/site/index.html but can only see /Volumes/website-1/ then it doesn't know what to do.

The confusion arises because both will show in Finder as "website". Even more annoying is that Finder does not always unmount shares correctly, so that /Volumes/website might not be accessible but /Volumes/website-1 will be. As far as the user is concerned, the share "website" is still mounted, but as far as Dreamweaver is concerned, it isn't, although website-1 is.

It's the same share, same data, but is being referenced by different names, so does not seem accessible.

BUT

I don't have a solution yet, apart from force unmounting both (or rebooting), remounting, and checking that Dreamweaver is using the right share (perhaps by removing and readding from within Dreamweaver).

Tedious.