3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2012 6:53 PM by conroy

CS6 3D file size enormous bloat - where's the compression?

conroy Level 5

If I load a 600 KB Radiance (.hdr) GI map into a CS6 3D layer and immediately resave the document with no other changes, the layered PSD (or layered TIFF with ZIP compression enabled) size is bloated by about 100 MB.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the uncompressed size of the Radiance image is about 100 MB. Photoshop can actually open the Radiance image and save it in Radiance format at about 600 KB again.

Clearly, the GI map is being stored uncompressed in layered PSD and layered TIFF. The consequence is an enormous waste of storage space and greatly slowed file reading and writing time.

Unless I've overlooked a compression switch, please fix this Adobe.

• 1. Re: CS6 3D file size enormous bloat - where's the compression?
          SG... Adobe Employee

Hi,

Are you loading the IBL sets from here?

http://www.photoshop.com/products/photoshop/3d

If so these are very large sized IBLs and you can reduce them from 4096 x 2048 down to 1024 x 512 (keep them at 32 bit). I'm asking developers now, but I don't think we can store the loaded IBL texture as a compressed Radiance file.

regards,

steve

• 2. Re: CS6 3D file size enormous bloat - where's the compression?
            conroy Level 5

Hi Steve,

SG... wrote:

Hi,

Are you loading the IBL sets from here?

http://www.photoshop.com/products/photoshop/3d

If so these are very large sized IBLs and you can reduce them from 4096 x 2048 down to 1024 x 512 (keep them at 32 bit). I'm asking developers now, but I don't think we can store the loaded IBL texture as a compressed Radiance file.

regards,

steve

Yes.

IBLsBasic/BasicIBL-01-Default.hdr    571 KB

It decodes to 96 MB.

It bloats the PSD by about 96 MB.

Even if PSD cannot contain an embedded Radiance formatted image, surely Adobe can come up with a way to losslessly compress 32-bit float data in a PSD.

For example, Ps can export that particular HDR image's 96 MB to a 176 KB ZIP-compressed f32 TIFF, so I imagine the engineers can come up with something better than no compression in a 3D document.

--------

Edit:

It seems that the IBL image is embedded in the 3D document as a PSB, just like a PSB in a Smart Object Layer.

And, as far as I can tell, neither PSD nor PSB support lossless compression of 32-bit float images. Please let that not be true for much longer. It would solve not only this 3D document bloat, but it would also reduce bloat of  2D Photoshop PSD and PSB containing 32-bit float images.

------

Edit again:

The first edit isn't entirely correct. I'll post a follow up.

• 3. Re: CS6 3D file size enormous bloat - where's the compression?
              conroy Level 5

This is the correction to my last post.

See:

Ps CS6 Problem: unable to prevent uncompressed compatibility image being saved in 32-bpc docs

It seems that saving a 32-bit per channel PSD and PSB results in a file with embedded uncompressed compatibility image even when Maximise Compatibility is disabled, in which case an all-white compatibility image seems to be embedded as expected except that the file size suggests that it is an uncompressed white image! That's a lot of excess storage when an image is 32 bits per channel.

That could be why a 32-bit IBL, which is embedded as a PSB, is bloating the 3D file by its enormous uncompressed size despite it being compressible to a few hundred KB.

I hope this post is brought to the attention of someone who can do something about the problem.