15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2012 4:26 PM by David C Anderson

How can I place image across outside of booklet?

David C Anderson Level 1

I am currently engaged in my annual task of designing a 24 page A5 booklet using folded A4 paper. All the internal portrait mode A5 pages (pages 2 - 23) are monochrome and have been created in InDesign CS6, while the colour outer cover (pages 1 and 24) has been designed as a single landscape A4 page in Adobe Illustrator CS6. This allows graphic images to flow seamlessly between the front cover and the back cover.

My normal practice has been to print this booklet myself, using an inkjet printer for the colour content and a mono laser printer for everything else. I print directly from Illustrator for the double-spread outer cover and use InDesign's 'Print Booklet' facility for all the internal pages.

This year, I am seriously considering getting the booklet produced by a commercial printer, who would use a colour laser printer for the entire booklet. I therefore want to merge the Illustrator artwork into my Indesign file so that I can generate a single PDF for sending to the print shop.

I'm guessing that there is a simple way to import the cover artwork into InDesign but, so far, I have been unable to find a way to place a file across pages 1 and 24. Any help would be much appreciated.

David

• 1. Re: How can I place image across outside of booklet?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Place and position as you want it on page 1 (leaving the full frame), then copy and paste in place on page 24. Crop to the spine on both pages.

OR

Disable shuffling for the page 1 spread, then drag page 24 up next to in in the Pages panel and place the art once. If you do this, I'd move the last page to the back in the PDF after exporting.

• 2. Re: How can I place image across outside of booklet?
            David C Anderson Level 1

Hi Peter,
            Many thanks for the rapid and useful response.

Your first solution has the advantage of not requiring any page order rearrangement in the final PDF file but introduces a risk of misalignment between the two versions of the placed cover art. Have you any suggestions for ensuring that these two images are correctly placed to avoid such a problem? Note that I have a full bleed cover design, which means that some graphics in the cover are slightly over the page width and/or height.

If there are no easy and accurate methods for aligning duplicated cover art then I will be happy enough to live with the need for the PDF page adjustment.

David  

• 3. Re: How can I place image across outside of booklet?
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Use a reputable printer and everything should be fine.

Bob

• 4. Re: How can I place image across outside of booklet?

I think you maybe didn't catch, or don't understand the signifcance of "paste in place." if you copy and paste in place the x/y coordinates are identical and there will not be a misalignment.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How can I place image across outside of booklet?
                  David C Anderson Level 1

Hi Peter,
                  Both. I neither spotted your reference to 'paste in place' nor would I have understood its significance if I had!

In order for Paste in Place to work you have to get the required image on the Windows clipboard, so I used Photoshop to open and then copy the Tiff file I had previously exported from Illustrator. When I then used Paste in Place in InDesign the image was placed exactly where it was required on both the front and back pages. Magic!

Thanks again for providing an excellent solution to my problem.

David 

• 6. Re: How can I place image across outside of booklet?

David C Anderson wrote:

In order for Paste in Place to work you have to get the required image on the Windows clipboard, so I used Photoshop to open and then copy the Tiff file I had previously exported from Illustrator. When I then used Paste in Place in InDesign the image was placed exactly where it was required on both the front and back pages. Magic!

I don't know where that came from. You should copy the frame  where you placed the image from page 1 in the .indd file and paste in place in page 24.

• 7. Re: How can I place image across outside of booklet?
                      David C Anderson Level 1

Actually, I may have stumbled across a slightly more efficient solution than you are suggesting. My cover artwork was designed to fit in a landscape A4 format. My exported Tiff file appears to have preserved the relevant X/Y co-ordinates so that when I did Paste in Place in Indesign it went exactly where it was required. Page 1 was focused on the left half of the Tiff image and Page 24 was focused on the right half of the image. 

• 8. Re: How can I place image across outside of booklet?

Not sure if we cross-posted, but it sounds like your "more efficient" method is waht I was suggesting: Place > Adjust positioning if required > Copy Frame > Go to new page > Paste in place.

page one ought to be the right side of the tiff unless your book reads right to left...

• 9. Re: How can I place image across outside of booklet?
                          David C Anderson Level 1

Yes, I confused my left with my right. I am indeed sticking with a conventional booklet reading direction!

On reflection, our processes are slightly different but both may have advantages in different situations. Unless there is some clever trick for placing an image in a specific place, your process would always require careful repositioning of the cover artwork on Page 1 before copying and Pasting in Place on Page 24. My method used Paste in Place on both Page 1 and Page 24 and no position adjustment was necessary. The disadvantage of my process (which I forgot when I claimed it was more efficient) is the necessity of the prior step required to copy the cover artwork image into the Windows clipboard.

I suspect you are now going to tell me an easy way to Place the image on Page 1 so that it preserves the same X/Y co-ordinates as it had in Illustrator ...

David

• 10. Re: How can I place image across outside of booklet?

If the artboard, or the art, is the size you want when you place, then all you need do show the import options and pick the appropriate crop option. Click the loaded cursor at the position of the upper left corner and release.

In this case, it would actually be easier to start on the last page, since it's on the left and you can see the corner of the page or the upper left bleed guide, then do your copy/paste in place on page 1. The only reason I suggested starting with page 1 is that if you are using an image of some sort that is not perfectly fitted to the shape of your spread, or that needs to be cropped, I'd rather start onthe front cover as it's much more important to be sure positioning is perfect there than to worry if ther's an extra step.

Copying and pasting from Illustrator is OK, but it increases the file size in ID, and it means you can't edit the art and update it in multiple places where you've used it.

• 11. Re: How can I place image across outside of booklet?
                              David C Anderson Level 1

Hmmm. When I try placing a Tiff with Show Import Options selected, the only so-called 'option' I get is 'Apply Photoshop Clipping Path' - which is shown both selected and greyed out (i.e. unchangeable). If I then proceed to place the Tiff in the upper left corner of Page 24 it's nowhere near where I want it to be.

I didn't quite understand the point you were making in your last paragraph. Do I have an option to link to my cover art Illustrator file instead of copying and pasting?

• 12. Re: How can I place image across outside of booklet?

This is a tiff? You said Illustrator, so I presumed it was vector. Same thing goes, though, as far as if it's the correct size, just place it at 100% by click and release at the upper left corner. Sounds like maybe it needs to be scaled.

What's the image size and resolution in Photoshop?

Linking is standard workflow. Once placed, when you copy and paste within ID you are copying and pasting the link, not the actual art.

• 13. Re: How can I place image across outside of booklet?
                                  David C Anderson Level 1

I did mention earlier that I had exported my cover art from Illustrator as a Tiff. This cover design includes one or two bitmap images as well as some vector elements.

There are no sizing issues when placing this Tiff in my InDesign document. The positioning difficulties appear to be caused by the fact that the export process in Illustrator generates a Tiff with a large white margin on the left, bottom and right of the artwork - but a zero margin on the top edge.

Earlier today, I read some references to a Place and Link option in CS6, though I have not yet had the time to check it out in detail. Does this offer me the option to link to my Illustrator file from InDesign?

• 14. Re: How can I place image across outside of booklet?

Yes. Just place the .ai file, or save it as a PDF and place that. If you export to tiff from Illy you rasterize the vector content.

Is the pasteboard larger than the art that's on it?

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re: How can I place image across outside of booklet?
                                      David C Anderson Level 1

Placing the .ai file worked fine, though I had to position it manually (no big deal, in practice). I then copied the frame within InDesign and did a Paste in Place on the other page, as per your previous advice. The Links panel in InDesign then made it easy for me to apply a test update made in Illustrator to both instances of the .ai file within InDesign.

I'm not quite sure why I never tried placing the .ai file in the first place. With hindsight, it's a pretty obvious thing to do! Anyway, thanks yet again for putting me straight 

David