19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2012 7:26 PM by Jeff Schewe

Camera Calibration

laurenaimee

I have a Panasonic DMC GH2.  My camera raw version is: 6.7.  In camera calibration I only get two boxes, one says: PROCESS and the other: CAMERA PROFILE

I understand that you will only get a camera profile for your camera model.

I only have in process: 2012, 2010 (current) and 2003

In the Profile box: Adobe Standard and nothing else

Why do I not have any options?

Will there be some for my camera?

And why can I not update to the latest version of raw?

• 1. Re: Camera Calibration
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

laurenaimee wrote:

I only have in process: 2012, 2010 (current) and 2003

Correct, there are only 3 Process Versions that have been created over the years.

laurenaimee wrote:

In the Profile box: Adobe Standard and nothing else

Why do I not have any options?

Will there be some for my camera?

Some cameras have vender matching profiles, many do not. There are no additional profiles for your camera unless you decide to make some. I doubt Adobe will produce any additional profiles for your camera.

laurenaimee wrote:

And why can I not update to the latest version of raw?

ACR 6.7 is the final and last version of Camera Raw for Photoshop CS5. To get the most recent version of Camera Raw (now at 7.1) you'll need to upgrade to Photoshop CS6.

• 2. Re: Camera Calibration
            Noel Carboni Level 7

Camera Raw 6.7 is the latest version you will likely ever get for Photoshop CS5.  Adobe stops updating Camera Raw for a given version of Photoshop when they release a new one.  To get more recent updates you have to buy Photoshop CS6.

And you will only really be able to to use Process 2010, as with 2012 almost the whole first page of controls will be disabled.  Again, to get Process 2012 in its entirety you need to buy Photoshop CS6.

However, oftentimes with the DNG Converter Adobe releases new camera profiles.  So if your version of Camera Raw handles your raw files (which apparently it does), you may be able to get additional profiles Adobe subsequently develops for your camera by installing the latest DNG Converter release (which at this moment is 7.1).

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5389  (PC)

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5388  (Mac)

-Noel

• 3. Re: Camera Calibration
              Vit Novak Level 3

As Jeff said, it's unlikely that Adobe will make other profiles for Panasonic cameras

I suppose the reason is similar as for Panasonic LX5 I bought several months ago - raw development program provided by Panasonic doesn't have profiles emulating in-camera jpeg rendering either. It seems it has only a matrix type profile, similar to Adobe standard for ACR, which is reasonably good, but of course, is lacking some 'refinement' possible with lookup table based profiles

Also, there is no 'develop raw' option in LX5 camera menus (don't know about GH series), so it's not possible to use the camera for making camera profiles, like I did for my Canon compacts (which is quite tricky btw because of limited precision due to 8 bit compressed jpeg output)

So it seems there is no easy way to get camera profiles for Panasonic cameras. I made it by recalibrating camera profile for Canon G12, but it turned out that the sensor, although similar size and megapixel count, is quite different, so it took several days to get a good result by hand-tuning it

• 4. Re: Camera Calibration
                deejjjaaaa Level 2

> , so it's not possible to use the camera for making camera profiles

http://sail2ithaki.livejournal.com/142328.html

• 5. Re: Camera Calibration
                  deejjjaaaa Level 2

why do you need more ? and you can for example fine tune the existing standard profile to your liking using either tools like DNG profile editor or create presets (not profiles) directly in ACR ...

• 6. Re: Camera Calibration
                    Noel Carboni Level 7

deejjjaaaa wrote:

why do you need more ?

It's a fair question, though it's entirely reasonable that an advanced user might find that there is not a set of suitable parameters that will deliver the image quality desired.  Back when I was seeking a specific Canon 40D profile there was no way, for example, to set the controls with the Adobe Standard profile to get decently saturated (blue) skies.  Also, the way extreme colors are fit into a limited gamut document color profile (vs. causing channel clipping) can be guided by the camera profile as well.

-Noel

• 7. Re: Camera Calibration
                      b2martin_a Level 2

You can use the DNG Profile Editor to Edit the existing Camera profile avaialble in Camera RAW, shoot a picture of theColorChecker Chart and use the chart tab in DNG Profile Editor to generate a profile that will give colors calibrated to the ColorChecker Chart, or use X-Rites ColorChecker Passport software and a photograph of the ColorChecker chart to generate a profile for your camera.  You can also edit specific colors of the profiles you generate if some are not what you want.  All of the Profile Editors/Generators require that you convert the image you plan to use with the Editor to a DNG file using Adobe's DNG converter, but the profile works with your generic RAW file. 

• 8. Re: Camera Calibration
                        Vit Novak Level 3

deejjjaaaa wrote:

> , so it's not possible to use the camera for making camera profiles

http://sail2ithaki.livejournal.com/142328.html

I said it's not possible to use the camera (LX5) or raw development program provided by Panasonic for making CAMERA profiles. Camera profile is a profile that closely emulates rendering of the camera for all colors (not only for 18 colors), and it's several times bigger than Adobe standard profile for the same camera. Code needed for that task is way more complex than in that  link

To be clear, Adobe standard is perfectly usable. Just some of us prefer colors from the camera for various reasons I already mentioned in some older posts

• 9. Re: Camera Calibration
                          deejjjaaaa Level 2

you said "so it's not possible to use the camera for making camera profiles"... reread yourself

• 10. Re: Camera Calibration
                            deejjjaaaa Level 2

> Code needed for that task is way more complex than in that  link

it is doable solution to get profiles closer to expectations, not an ultimate wunderwaffe... it is better than nothing :-)

• 11. Re: Camera Calibration
                              b2martin_a Level 2

Maybe I don't understand the question, but I read that they are looking for a profile for use in Adobe Camera RAW - not in the camera. 

• 12. Re: Camera Calibration
                                deejjjaaaa Level 2

yes, dcp profile... nobody is talking about camera's firmware (or storing profiles to be used by it) modifications here

• 13. Re: Camera Calibration
                                  Noel Carboni Level 7

deejjjaaaa wrote:

it is better than nothing :-)

I think we're having a conversation on two different levels here.

Those who might want a custom profile may not consider "better than nothing" good enough.

It's also possible that not everyone wants perfect, accurate pictures of color charts, but rather color with a certain personality.  Setting up a camera/converter to reproduce color charts accurately can lead to real world images that are, frankly, lifeless.  Just as there were specialty films there could be a desire for specialty profiles.

I fooled with the beta camera profile creation software Adobe put out for quite a while.  Frankly it's not good enough.  Vit's on the right track.  Really right.

-Noel

• 14. Re: Camera Calibration
                                    deejjjaaaa Level 2

> I fooled with the beta camera profile creation software Adobe put out for quite a while.  Frankly it's not good enough.

sure, that is why it ("camera profile creation software" from Adobe) was not suggested at all...

• 15. Re: Camera Calibration
                                      deejjjaaaa Level 2

> Setting up a camera/converter to reproduce color charts accurately

the posting was about how to create a profile for photoshop to get colors closer to the rendering that you want if your raw converter (ACR) can't (or "you" can't with it)

• 16. Re: Camera Calibration
                                        Vit Novak Level 3

The question was why there are no other profiles except Adobe standard. It was answered by Jeff - it's unlikely that Adobe will make additional profiles, but OP can make his own profiles. I just made a comment why it's (in my opinion) unlikely that other (Camera) profiles appear for Panasonic cameras

• 17. Re: Camera Calibration
                                          laurenaimee Level 1

Thanks such a shame..I love my camera but when I see others working in raw applying stuff like vibrant to a pic in raw and it really pops I feel a bit let down.

Lauren Aimee Melling

LLB[hons] PGCE

• 18. Re: Camera Calibration
                                            laurenaimee Level 1

thank you so much

Lauren Aimee Melling

LLB[hons] PGCE

• 19. Re: Camera Calibration
                                              Jeff Schewe Level 5

laurenaimee wrote:

Thanks such a shame..I love my camera but when I see others working in raw applying stuff like vibrant to a pic in raw and it really pops I feel a bit let down.

You are misunderstanding of the purpose of vender matching DNG profiles. They were designed to allow photographers who may fall in love with a particualr rendering to essentially match the on-camera settings. I have a GH2 and as far as I can tell there are not any really rendering option in-camera (at least none I've found).

I think your expectations aren't really realistic...DNG profiles are not designed to make color corrections, they are designed to control the camera color rendering. You would do better learning about how to maximize the tone and color corrections offered in ACR/LR and not try to rely on some sort of canned results. If you develop a "look" you want to use on a regular basis, learn how to use ACR/LR Presets to make your life easier.