22 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2012 5:55 PM by ComputerNovice25 RSS

New Sequence Settings for DNxHD Clips

Amarotti Community Member

Hello All :-)

I have a BMD HyperDeck Shuttle 2 and it records uncompressed and in the DNxHD (220 I believe) codec.

I can import, play and edit the files just fine, but there's no Sequence Preset for this codec.

Q)  Is there a preset somewhere?

Q)  What settings should I use to get the best results with these files?

Thanks!!

• 1. Re: New Sequence Settings for DNxHD Clips
          lasvideo Community Member

Just drop the clip on the timeline and PP will create an appropriate sequence for it (in most cases).

• 2. Re: New Sequence Settings for DNxHD Clips

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback!

I have used that technique before, but I questioned what PP came up with.

Just wondering Why there isn't a preset for DNxHD??

Is there anything about DNxHD that requires any special sequence settings?

Thanks Again!

• 3. Re: New Sequence Settings for DNxHD Clips

You can just drop a clip on the Make Sequence icon or or make your own custom sequence.

For more information, read this...

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS3E67AF4C-B2A2-4f04-90B4-F8CCFB74B144.ht ml

• 4. Re: New Sequence Settings for DNxHD Clips
                Harm Millaard CommunityMVP

I think there are a number of reasons, but to explain them, I must make 2 categories of users:

• FCP converts, and
                • others.

FCP converts are used to converting everything to ProRes or whatever other intermediate format FCP used. They have a difficult time understanding the concept of editing 'native', they fail to understand there is no advantage in converting to any other format, they fail to understand that 420 material can never be 'improved' by converting to 422 format, because it only entails adding zeroes. In addition they are used to using QuiRcktime, which may work fine on a MAC, but is a curse on a PC.

If you don't belong to the group of FCP-converts and are lucky and smart enough not to have a MAC, there is no reason to use any intermediate or converted format, because everything works in native mode, so why make a preset for a lossy codec like DNxHD, when none is needed? Additionally, DNxHD requires QuiRcktime on a PC and that is about the last thing you want to do, apart from taking your PC out for a swim.

• 5. Re: New Sequence Settings for DNxHD Clips

Amorati, Harm makes several good points before he resorts to being a mean amateur.

As an editor with both a Mac and PC system, such fanboy displays I find distasteful. But there is truth in the observation that there is a different philosophy and work flow when using Premiere Pro.

Transcoding is only necessary when thee isnt enought computer power to handle native playback of media.

For professionals, DNxHD is a standard for creating a final master.There are many reasons for this that hobbyists fail to grasp. Suffice it to say that it is the codec of choice for most serious work done in the industry.

Get this book and read it to enhance your skills and understanding of how best to utilize the fine editorial tools in CS6.

http://www.amazon.com/Editors-Guide-Adobe-Premiere-Pro/dp/0321773012

• 6. Re: New Sequence Settings for DNxHD Clips

Hello All,

Thanks for all of the input... I appreciate it!

Let me clarify a couple of things.

*  The only reason that I'm interested in DNxHD is because it is what my Black Magic Design HeperDeck Shuttle records in (other than uncompressed, which is overkill for my needs).

So if it were not for that fact, I wouldn't be having this conversation.  I have no choice, and this is the first time I have had to deal with the AVID codec.

*  I do drag and drop the clip in CS6 to creat a new sequence, but I was wondering why there were no presets for DNxHD. 

I mean my logic tells me that if all we had to do is drop the clip on an icon to creat a sequence with the proper settings, why have presets at all!  Therefore, because there are presets, there must be a reason and using that logic, why not for DNxHD.

Furthermore, is there a better mix of settings than you get by dragging and dropping?

So I apologize if I didn't make myself clear earlier.

BTW  I have been a producer/Director for about 30 years, and in that time I also served as a gaffer, DP as well as supervising the edits, and when I have to I jump in and do the cuts myself.  I am not a full time editor.

What also prompted me to explore this topic further was that I was getting really bad results with the output from my recorder.  It seems as though conforming the footage in CS6 fixed the issue, but I'm still testing.

Thanks again for all of the feedback and links, it is all helpful and I'm getting a better understanding thanks to it.

Anthony

• 7. Re: New Sequence Settings for DNxHD Clips
                      JSS1138 Community Member

I was wondering why there were no presets for DNxHD. 

Most likely because it's not a very common format used "in-camera".  So far, all the presets are based around common formats that a camera itself actually records.

• 8. Re: New Sequence Settings for DNxHD Clips

The Arri Alexia (extremely popular in the industry these days) creates DNxHD files.The Black Magic Cinema camera will do so when released.

• 9. Re: New Sequence Settings for DNxHD Clips
                          JSS1138 Community Member

Well, if enough people using those cameras start using PP to edit with, and start making the appropriate requests, then it's likely Adobe will add the appropriate presets.

(Though personally, I suspect you'll see more of those camera ops recording RAW files instead.)

• 10. Re: New Sequence Settings for DNxHD Clips
                            ComputerNovice25 Community Member

Actually the studio I work at uses the BMD hyperdeck studio so I often edit with DNxHD 220 and ProRes HQ because that is the format that the deck records stuff in.  Anyways though

if you just let Premiere pick the sequence settings you for you I assure you it picks correctly. So don't sweat it.

• 11. Re: New Sequence Settings for DNxHD Clips

Thanks Again Guys...  Very enlightnening!

• 12. Re: New Sequence Settings for DNxHD Clips

An Upodate

Conforming my footage Did NOT solve my problem.

I don't want to hyjack this thread so I'm going to create a new one called  "GH2 and the BMD HyperDeck Shuttle Record Problems".

If you're interested, please find it and participate...  Thank You in Advance!!

AM

• 13. Re: New Sequence Settings for DNxHD Clips

I believe I found a solution, and it doesn't require any additional software or complicated workflow!!

I'll post my results soon...  AM

• 14. Re: New Sequence Settings for DNxHD Clips
                                    RuschCMG Community Member

I too have a BM Hyperdeck Shuttle and am having an issue using the DnxHD file. I have dowloaded the AVID Codec LE but that didnt seem to do anything. I am on a windows based machine and can not get PP to read the files. When I try and import them i get "Unsupported format or damaged file" The file plays fine in quicktime so i know it's not damaged. What are my options? i reallt need to get this done as i have a pfoject that a client is waiting for. Any help?

• 15. Re: New Sequence Settings for DNxHD Clips

Hi

I wish I could help you but when I import my files into PP CS6, they play and edit fine in the timeline, so I can't reproduce your problem.

I can play the DNxHD files using my video players, but they won't play the uncompressed files, although again, they will import, play and edit in PP CS6.

What are you recording from (camera)?

Can any other program or player play the files?

Please give a little more detail about your workflow so the users here can chime in and help.

Good Luck!

• 16. Re: New Sequence Settings for DNxHD Clips

I am on CS5.5 (which may be the issue)

I am recording with the BM Shuttle also in the AVID DHxHD format. I have it recording out of the BM ATEM TV Studio.

The file plays on my quicktime player on my machine.

• 17. Re: New Sequence Settings for DNxHD Clips

CS5.5 is able to open files from the BMD hyperdeck studio for me just fine. CS5 however cannot cs5 can't properly handle the 16 channel audio that all the hyperdeck's create. 

The other issue could be if you're using the MXF flavor of DNxHD option then it won't import into Premiere period. Premiere only works with the .MOV flavor of DNxHD from the hyperdecks. In my personal experince anyways.

• 18. Re: New Sequence Settings for DNxHD Clips

It is a movie file. PP can read it when i use the uncompressed 10bit mode but ont when i compress it. Here is the error message:

8-28-2012 8-55-54 AM.jpg

• 19. Re: New Sequence Settings for DNxHD Clips

Are you using the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2? If so then please attempt to use the ProRes  record option and tell me if that works.

I have the Hyperdeck studio here where I work and I haven't ever had issues with CS5.5 or cs6. All I can recommend is selecting ProRes or checking to make sure your Premiere is totally up to date.

The last  thing I can recommend, is to try  using the program FFMBC to re-wrap it although that tool is generally used to make the MXF type of DNxHD into a .MOV  that Premiere can actually import.

CS5 won't open any of them at all though.

• 20. Re: New Sequence Settings for DNxHD Clips

I do have the shuttle 2. i have done the update on the shuttle and below are the only optuons i have to choose from when I have the shuttle plugged into hte computer via USB. I don't see a "ProRes" setting. When I select hte Uncompressed 10bit Quicktime it works but if i select either of the AVID's it doesnt. The Avid DNxHD plays in quicktime on my computer but does not import into premier.

IMAG0688.jpg

• 21. Re: New Sequence Settings for DNxHD Clips

I got it! i had IT do an update on Premier and that worked! Thanks everyone for all of the help

• 22. Re: New Sequence Settings for DNxHD Clips

Glad to hear you got it working, I figured that was most likely the issue. Wanted to mention though I was indeed a bit confused about the ProRes option apparently they only made that option avaiable for people who use the studio version which is what we use where I work. So I was incorrect to suggest using that with the shuttle for some reason I thought that they added ProRes support for both the shuttle 2 and the Studio versions but not the original shuttle. Anyways though glad to hear a update helped I figured that had to be it since before I downloaded the ProRes update I used to constantly use DNxHD option with both CS5.5 and CS6 and never had any issues.