5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2008 5:13 AM by Newsgroup_User

Pencil sketch stroke style

dhogue94
      Y'all, are there are styles (downloadable .STL files or tutorials to create the effect) that can be applied to vector paths that will alter the stroke so that it looks like a pencil sketch? I want to draw quick wireframes with the line and pen tools, apply a style, and have it look like a pencil sketch (to clearly communicate to the client that they are looking at concept diagrams not actual wireframes.)

I've been playing around with applying multiple effects to add noise and texture, but nothing really looks like a pencil sketch - I just get lines that don't look crisp and clean but still look perfectly straight and have even stroke width for the length. I know I probably can't add random curvature and overlapping strokes to truly mimic pencil sketches - all I really want to do is make the vector paths look "less than perfect" and ideally like they were hand-drawn.

Thanks!

Dave
        • 1. Re: Pencil sketch stroke style
          Level 7
          http://www.fireworkszone.com/?root=28&extension=1&idChapitre=29

At the top, great style by Linda Rathgeber

Peter
          create the
          | effect) that can be applied to vector paths that will alter the stroke so
          that
          | it looks like a pencil sketch? I want to draw quick wireframes with the
          line
          | and pen tools, apply a style, and have it look like a pencil sketch (to
          clearly
          | communicate to the client that they are looking at concept diagrams not
          actual
          | wireframes.)
          |
          | I've been playing around with applying multiple effects to add noise and
          | texture, but nothing really looks like a pencil sketch - I just get lines
          that
          | don't look crisp and clean but still look perfectly straight and have even
          | stroke width for the length. I know I probably can't add random curvature
          and
          | overlapping strokes to truly mimic pencil sketches - all I really want to
          do is
          | make the vector paths look "less than perfect" and ideally like they were
          | hand-drawn.
          |
          | Thanks!
          |
          | Dave
          |
          |

• 2. Re: Pencil sketch stroke style
            Level 7
            dhogue94 wrote:
            > Y'all, are there are styles (downloadable .STL files or tutorials to create the
            > effect) that can be applied to vector paths that will alter the stroke so that
            > it looks like a pencil sketch? I want to draw quick wireframes with the line
            > and pen tools, apply a style, and have it look like a pencil sketch (to clearly
            > communicate to the client that they are looking at concept diagrams not actual
            > wireframes.)

I hate to point out the obvious, but how about scanning an actual pencil
            sketch? It's not cheating.

--
            Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            http://www.projectseven.com
            Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
            CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
            http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
            • 3. Re: Pencil sketch stroke style
              dhogue94 Level 1
              Linda,

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, the "Drawings" style link doesn't work - it seems to point to a missing file. Also, the description for the style mentions how to make a bitmap image look like a pencil sketch - will this work for a page filled with vector paths? I'm using the line and pen tools to draw wireframes - I'm not working with bitmaps, and I don't want to lose the editability of vectors.

I thought about scanning in a Sharpie line or pencil sketch line, but I don't know how to turn that into a texture that could be applied to a vector path to make the vector path look like it had been drawn. If I just scan a hand-drawn line and use it directly as a bitmap, I'll have an image of a line that will have to be scaled/stretched and manipulated to create the wireframes, and that would be more work than using the vector tools.

Thanks,

Dave
              • 4. Re: Pencil sketch stroke style
                Level 7
                dhogue94 wrote:

> Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, the "Drawings" style link doesn't work -
                > it seems to point to a missing file. Also, the description for the style
                > mentions how to make a bitmap image look like a pencil sketch - will this work
                > for a page filled with vector paths?

No, it won't.

I'm using the line and pen tools to draw
                > wireframes - I'm not working with bitmaps, and I don't want to lose the
                > editability of vectors.

Try using the Quill stroke and play around with the Advanced settings.
                That particular stroke is speed sensitive, even with a mouse. You can
                create natural looking variations in the path with the path scrubber tool.

--
                Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                http://www.projectseven.com
                Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                • 5. Re: Pencil sketch stroke style
                  Level 7
                  Ooops, sorry Dave, I should have read your post more carefully.

Peter
                  |
                  | Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, the "Drawings" style link doesn't
                  work -
                  | it seems to point to a missing file. Also, the description for the style
                  | mentions how to make a bitmap image look like a pencil sketch - will this
                  work
                  | for a page filled with vector paths? I'm using the line and pen tools to
                  draw
                  | wireframes - I'm not working with bitmaps, and I don't want to lose the
                  | editability of vectors.
                  |
                  | I thought about scanning in a Sharpie line or pencil sketch line, but I
                  don't
                  | know how to turn that into a texture that could be applied to a vector
                  path to
                  | make the vector path look like it had been drawn. If I just scan a
                  hand-drawn
                  | line and use it directly as a bitmap, I'll have an image of a line that
                  will
                  | have to be scaled/stretched and manipulated to create the wireframes, and
                  that
                  | would be more work than using the vector tools.
                  |
                  | Thanks,
                  |
                  | Dave
                  |