9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2012 10:51 AM by Szalam

Correct codec for web?

areynoldsdh1 Level 1

Hi,  My knowledge of After Effects is pretty limited, but I am using AE 5.5 for Mac.  I have a 30sec animation which I am attempting to render and place on my website.  Previously a friend recommended that I export as a Quicktime file with the Animation codec applied and it should work.  I am attempting to play the file on my site using: http://www.no-margin-for-errors.com/projects/prettyphoto-jquery-lightbox-clone/  This doesn't seem to support QT H.246, and when I am exporting using the animation codec, it is coming out at 25mb (even when I reduce the quality down to 25%)  Can anyone help??  Thanks in advance,  Andy

• 1. Re: Correct codec for web?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Animation QuickTime is a production codec not a delivery codec. It is a codec not suited to anything but the production pipeline. You need a delivery codec and a video server for best results. H.264 is a great codec for this if it is properly set up.

The best, easiest, option is to host the video on a vider server like YouTube or Vimeo and embed the link. You'll get all the advantage of the latest video server technology. The best way to encode H.264 without third party software is to open Adobe Media Encoder and either load your AE project directly and pick the composition or render a Production Codec (lossless or nearly lossless codec) version of your movie from After Effects using the Render Cue and load that up. You then pick the proper pre-set for your video delivery system and render away.

I hope this helps. Video production with professional tools requires at least a basic knowledge of professional workflow. I'd suggest that you start here and look through the basics.

One last thing. The link you're posing points to a java script slide show player not a movie player. You're mixing apples and oranges. Make that mixing apples and bricks. The two are not even closely related. It's not going to work. You need to embed a video player not a jquery slideshow player to playback video.

• 2. Re: Correct codec for web?
            areynoldsdh1 Level 1

Hi Rick,  Thanks for your help.  The file I am attempting to play isn't 16:9 or 4:3, it's an unusual format 975x20 pixels and so youtube and vimeo aren't really options as it needs to sit in it's own player ideally.  What would suggest is the easiest option is to get around this? I don't really want the video on show until you click a link to view it.  Thanks,  Andy

• 3. Re: Correct codec for web?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're going to use any MPEG encoding then you must follow standard pixel dimensions. That's the way the compression codec works. Only specific frame sizes are supported. 975 X 20 would be supported with Jpeg compression and with quality set to somewhere around 60 you'll probably be OK.

You'll need to use some Java or open a pop-up window to have the video hidden before it plays. BTW 975 X 20 doesn't conform to any standard web banner size I know of. I'd suggest you look at some web standard sizes for your design.

• 4. Re: Correct codec for web?
                areynoldsdh1 Level 1

Hi Rick,  Apologies for the (very) delayed response, I've been away.  Just to give you the background on the files, they are ads which run on LED panels on outdoor media (football stadium advertising around the pitch) hence the strange dimensions.  These have been designed specifically for this media, but I would like to show them on my website portfolio  I've tried exporting the file as a QT .mov with a Jpeg 2000 codec on it at 60% but the file is still 13mb?  Do you have any other potential solutions when using AE5.5  Many thanks for your continued help,

• 5. Re: Correct codec for web?
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One solution would be to nest your comp graphics in a more standard sized comp. Then render your lossless file out of AE and use the Adobe Media Encoder to do your final compression. (AE is not a good compression tool since it can't do multipass encoding.)

• 6. Re: Correct codec for web?
                    areynoldsdh1 Level 1

Thanks Szalam,  I guess this is an option as the worst case scenario.  Ideally I'd rather the composition to be shown on it's own though rather than sitting in a 4:3 or 16:9 frame.  It won't quite have the same impact.  Any other ideas?  Thanks in advance

• 7. Re: Correct codec for web?

The Animation codec is a pretty hefty one as far as size goes. Try a Quicktime with Sorensen Video 3 codec and see how that works.

You also might consider making an FLV (and perhaps grabbing a SWF player setup for it) since your template thing does do Flash.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Correct codec for web?
                        areynoldsdh1 Level 1

Hi Szalam,  The Sorensen Video 3 codec is working as I have managed to get the file down to 3-4mb.  I'm thinking this will probably still be a little large to play from my site?  What do you think?  If so, do you have any other codecs you could recommend?  Thanks in advance,

• 9. Re: Correct codec for web?

I don't really have any better recommendations. The only reason I thought of that was because I was trying to remember some of the old codecs we used before we started doing HD and H.264 became the standard.

You might try some form of DivX, but I have no idea how that would work with your web thing. (I'm still really surprised that Quicktime H.264 won't work.)