6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2012 10:53 AM by anjemalo

Draw over a digital video

anjemalo Level 1

Hello:

Do you know how to draw simple lines or circles... over a video (quicktime, mpg, avi...)?

When pause the video, draw over the selected image on the video. And when play the video again draws dissapear.

Many thanks for you support.

• 1. Re: Draw over a digital video
          James Newton, ACP Level 3

You can create a black-and-white mask member for your QuickTime sprite. You can place a bitmap sprite behind the QuickTime Sprite, and the colours in that sprite will appear through the QuickTime video. You can use Imaging Lingo to change the image of the mask member and of the bitmap sprite on the fly. This will give you the effect of an opaque drawing on the QuickTime sprite although in fact you are simply punching holes in the video to show a drawing behind it.

The Help article says:

For best results, set a QuickTime cast member’s mask property before any of its sprites appear on the Stage in the on beginSprite event handler. Setting or changing the mask property while the cast member is on the Stage can have unpredictable results (for example, the mask may appear as a freeze frame of the digital video at the moment the mask property took effect).

We created a project in Director MX 2004 (D10) back in 2005, that made extensive use of this technique, with no sign of any unpredictable results. It can be done.

• 2. Re: Draw over a digital video
            anjemalo Level 1

I'll try it and tell you.

Thank you very much .

• 3. Re: Draw over a digital video
              anjemalo Level 1

Hello:

I have made one pixel bitmap with Ink mask  in Director and I have put behind the quicktime video but I have not seen the graphic over quicktime.

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

thank you

• 4. Re: Draw over a digital video
                Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

Did you follow the mask member link in James' reply? It explains how you set the mask property of a #quickTimeMedia member.

• 5. Re: Draw over a digital video
                  James Newton, ACP Level 3

It's a 1-bit mask (black and white) which should be the same pixel dimensions as the video sprite. Changing which pixels in the mask are black and which are white will change which pixels in the video sprite are rendered to the screen and which are left transparent.

• 6. Re: Draw over a digital video
                    anjemalo Level 1

Thank you:

I have got to make a mask over the quicktime but I cannot to draw nothing over the video.

Have you any demo or tell me how to get it?

I try to draw something in the 1 bit image like:

member("micuadro").image.draw(100, 100, 125, 125, \

[#shapeType:#oval, #lineSize:2, #color: rgb(255, 255, 255)])

The circle has drawn but not over the video.