4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2012 7:32 PM by josephs51576386

Field order on Firewire output

alanst2 Level 1

I have been using Premiere Elements for some years and, before that, Premiere 6.5. I have now begun to use Premiere Pro CS6 and am getting on well with it. I have Windows 7 Home Premium with 4Gb of RAM. I realise that 4Gb is borderline for editing HD material but for the time being I shall mainly be cutting SD DV from tape. I have a Pyro Firewire card which is connected to a Sony DSR11 tape deck. I am in the UK and work in PAL 625 720x576, very occasionally 1920x1080i AVCHD, from SD memory cards. The composite video output from the DSR11 is plugged to a CRT monitor.

Capture works fine from the DSR11. But, when using the same unit in E-E mode for monitoring or when Exporting to tape from Premiere, the field order as displayed on the monitor and recorded on tape is wrong. The only way to correct the problem is to reverse the field order of every clip on the Timeline, resulting in everything needing rendering and it all taking a long time.

All indications are that the captured material is correct (lower field first) and that ingested by Elements and previously cut on PrEl is known to be OK. All output from Pro as fed down the Firewire is reversed. I can see no Set Up that selects the Field order.

So, my question: Have I missed something? Is there a hidden menu somewhere?

I'm looking forward to many years working with Pro, just so long as I can get over this little hurdle. Thank you for your time and for any advice you can offer.

Alan S.

• 1. Re: Field order on Firewire output
          Jim_Simon Level 8

You didn't miss anything.  This is the second time I've heard of this issue of FireWire output reversing the field dominance.

Unfortunately, I don't recall a definite cause ever being isolated, or a solution found.

• 2. Re: Field order on Firewire output
            alanst2 Level 1

Thanks very much Jim. It's not the answer I wanted but at least I'm not going barmy! Just for the record, exporting to a file, via Media Encoder, is good. It's just the Firewire output.

• 3. Re: Field order on Firewire output
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Hmmm.

I have a few questions.

1. If you capture some footage, and then export it directly out again, is there still a problem?

2. If you don't have AVCHD on the sequence does it still do it? (Because AVCHD uses upper first, I believe.)

3. If you export from After Effects, does it stil lhave the problem?

• 4. Re: Field order on Firewire output
                josephs51576386 Level 3

If you want to avoid having to reverse every clip in the timeline individually then you can right click each source clip in the bin  and select the "modify>interpet" option and make the field order correct. This way anytime you drag anything from that clip to the timeline it will already be corrected. Doing this with the 1 source clip in the bin will also correct any trimmed clips created from the source clip as well. Basically it will save you from having to click the same clip several times in the timeline to reverse the field order individually.

However it still clearly stinks it's reversing your field order, sorry I don't have any ideas on how to fix your actual problem.