3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2012 1:41 AM by [Jongware]

Repeated words in a paragraph or a column

Dandalo Level 2

In Indesign preferences if I check the repeated words option, indesign will underscore words that are repeated.

Our house house in the middle of the street.

But I need more, I need that indesign or maybe a plugging will help me to find repeat words in a paragraph.

Or better at the beginning or at the end of a column.

Like this words in magenta...

http://www.vdois.com/erro.png

• 1. Re: Repeated words in a paragraph or a column
          Michael Gianino Level 4

Maybe with a script or a GREP search, but what you have in your example is not unusual, and it's much easier to search for something unusual than it is to search for something that is common. If your text is average, you will find repeated words within paragraphs all the time. Unless they are two in a row, like in your Our house house in the middle of the street example, you would probably need to sort through all of the naturally-occurring instances, (I have made the word you in my response bold to illustrate repeated words within normal text) to find the ones you are targeting.

• 2. Re: Repeated words in a paragraph or a column
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

GREP can only do so much. This will match a word that gets repeated somewhere along in the same paragraph -- you can use it in a GREP style.

(\b\w+\b)(?=.+\1)

-- but there is no easy way to mark the second (.. third, fourth, etc.) last occurrence as well.

Message was edited by: [Jongware] *Last* occurrence. All other repeats will be matched, just not the last.

• 3. Re: Repeated words in a paragraph or a column
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

(Yuck, here is a creepy thing. The GREP style does not work if the paragraph does not end with a hard return! Sloppy coding, Adobe.)

Example. Each of the highlighted words occurs at least once after the highlighted one. (And the second paragraph does not end with a hard return, just to show the above.)

repeat.PNG