4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2008 6:40 AM by Newsgroup_User

Panning while using the Lasso Tool

basil60
      I've really zoomed in on an image, and am using the lasso tool to "cut it out". I want to pan to go around the whole thing. How do I do that without interrupting the lasso? In photoshop, I can hold down the space bar.

Also, in photoshop I can go backwards and hit delete if I make a mistake. Are there any options like that in Fireworks?

• 1. Re: Panning while using the Lasso Tool
          pixlor Level 4
          You can make a small lasso selection, then add to it by holding down the shift key until you see a small plus sign next to the lasso symbol. I find that making small, incremental selections is usually easier than making one big one.

CTRL-Z is the usual keyboard action for undo (on a PC), but you can also use the menu item:
          dit > Undo (whatever was the last action).

• 2. Panning while using the Lasso Tool
            abeall Level 3
            > In photoshop, I can hold down the space bar.

Nope, you can't pan when making a lasso selection in Fireworks, unfortunately. Put in a request (see my signature.) I generally agree with pixlor's workflow of making small selection and adding to them.

But another workflow available in Fireworks that I personally rather like is to use the Redraw Path tool (found under the Pen tool and Vector Path tool.) This tool lets you draw a lasso path, essentially, just like you use the lasso tool -- the Vector Path tool does this too. But the Redraw Path tool also has a great feature where it lets you click on part of a path or the end of the path and continue drawing the path from that point. So my workflow is:
            1) Draw a section of outline using the Vector Path tool or Redraw Path tool (you can start with either) -- I recommend an Precision of 10
            2) Once I run out of room (because I'm zoomed in) and need to pan, I let go of the path so far
            3) Pan as needed
            4) Using the Redraw Path tool I click on the end point where I stopped and continue on my way
            5) If I ever make a mistake, not only can I undo (ctrl+z) to under the last continuous section I drew without undoing the whole path, but I can also simply redraw starting from right before the mess up point by clicking there and continuing

I find this workflow usually works really great. Once you have a vector shape you can use it as a mask and do all sorts of cool vector stuff, OR you can convert it to a selection (right click, Conver Path to Marquee).

> Also, in photoshop I can go backwards and hit delete if I make a mistake. Are there any options like that in
            > Fireworks?

I'm not sure what you mean here. When I hit delete in Photoshop it deletes the pixels with the selection I have.
            • 3. Re: Panning while using the Lasso Tool
              basil60 Level 1
              Thanks very much
              • 4. Re: Panning while using the Lasso Tool
                Level 7
                basil60 wrote:
                > I've really zoomed in on an image, and am using the lasso tool to
                > "cut it out". I want to pan to go around the whole thing. How do I do
                > that without interrupting the lasso? In photoshop, I can hold down
                > the space bar.
                >
                > Also, in photoshop I can go backwards and hit delete if I make a
                > mistake. Are there any options like that in Fireworks?

Instead of using the Lasso tool, use the pen tool to stitch a path
                around the object you want to select. Use the path to mask the object,
                or convert the path to a marquee to make your selection with.

Here's a quick tutorial on stitching a masking object with the pen tool.

http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/images/photo_magic/selections_pentool.htm

--
                Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                --------------------------------------------------------------
                http://www.projectseven.com
                Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                --------------------------------------------------------------