5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2012 11:22 AM by Dave LaRonde

Anime effect?

D_A_Renoir

The glowing flash at 0:15 and the glowing musical notes background from 0:20 onwards. Is it possible to make this kind of effect in Adobe After Effects? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Anime effect?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Sure it's possible. The "flash" is just some random rays which can be created in am illion ways from animating layers to using lens flare plug-ins to CC Lightburst and the background is just some animated graphics as well...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Anime effect?
            D_A_Renoir Level 1

Do you have any tips about that animated background? I don't know how to make it move like that. Is that particle effect or graphics thrown in there?

• 3. Re: Anime effect?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It looks like there are particles and animated 3D layers (the music notation) and a bunch of layers. This is a complex layered animation that isn't going to be accomplished with a single click plug-in.

When you want to duplicate a technique try and break down the shot into it's elements. At :26 you have stars that could be particles, circles that could be particles, several lines of 3D musical notation, some light streaks, glow effects that are different for the different objects, and a gradient background. Try creating each element on a separate layer. The most difficult is the music staff and notes. They are warped and twisted. FreeForm could do it, but you'll have to place each staff on a separate layer and warp and distort that layer. At minimum you've got 5 or 6 layers just for the music, 3 for the particles, 1 for the girl, and 1 for the background. All of them are animated.

I've been using AE since it was introduced by COSA in 1993 and just this shot would take me the better part of an afternoon to duplicate from scratch. Maybe even longer. The whole video duplicated would be several days.

Screen Shot 2012-08-14 at 11.17.38 AM.png

• 4. Re: Anime effect?
                D_A_Renoir Level 1

I wouldn't mind the trouble. I want to know how it's done Is FreeForm a plugin?

• 5. Re: Anime effect?
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

The basic version of Freeform has been a part of AE since version 10.5, aka CS5.5.  To do more elaborate things with it, you'll pay for a different version.