• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem setting Home URL

Participant ,
Aug 14, 2012 Aug 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I inherited a project whose output is WebHelp Pro.

When the user clicks Home, the 404 error message appears -- File or directory not found.

I opened the Window Properties (WebHelp Pro) dialog box to check the URL, but could not find any field to check the Home URL.

8-14-2012 10-38-46 AM_NGPHelpWindow.png

I looked in the Help, which says that "In WebHelp Pro, you can view settings after the project is published to the server." Does this mean that there is no way for me to specify the desired URL in the project?

If that is the case, do I need to generate straight WebHelp instead of WebHelp Pro? I think the previous writer generated WebHelp Pro output because the company was thinking about providing server-based Help.

I was hoping that the "Advanced window Destinations properties" applied to WebHelp Pro because it enables you to define the URL to display when clicking Home. Bit I think it only applies to HTML Help .

Thanks for any help.

Carol

How do I set advanced properties for a WebHelp pro window? The Home button displays an error and I can't see any place to fix it. This is RoboHelp 9.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WebHelp Pro output is only required if you have the Adobe RoboHelp Server application. Note that this is not part of Adobe RoboHelp. It is a common misconception that to host output on a server that you need Adobe RoboHelp Server. You don't. You just need to generate plain WebHelp output and publish to the server. I have covered all this in detail on my blog:

http://www.cmcandrew.com/robocolumn/archives/275

With WebHelp Pro output, the URL you use is located on a server but is defined by the setup of the Adobe RoboHelp Server application and the project published to it. Hopefully this information will help you decide what output you need to generate. When you know, come back and we can help further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for your reply. After I looked at your blog, I realized that I'd been to your site before, when I was trying to figure out how to clean out unwanted RoboHelp files .

The previous writer thought that he was going to implement Adobe RoboHelp Server (an initiative that did not move ahead) and so created WebHelp Pro outputs. I've never changed to WebHelp output because it did not appear that it was necessary. We are not publishing to a server. I just wanted to know how to get the Home icon to open to a valid location when the user clicks it.

After a bit of rooting around, I discovered that the previous writer specified the action to take in WebHelp Skin Editor > Custom Toolbar Item > Action > Link. (The old entry pointed to a non-existent file.)

Now I can get the Home icon to open the Introduction.htm topic by browsing to my local path or by entering a network address.

But we'll be deploying the Help to customer sites, where the path will not match what is currently specfied in the skin.

Do you know how I should specify the path in the skin editor so that it opens Introduction.htm in one of the deployed release folders? I could not find any kind of configuration file in RoboHelp.

Thanks again.

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you add the button you will see an Action tab with a Link field. Browse to the required topic.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works beautifully. Thanks so much.

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the reason the answer to this was delayed to such a great degree was because it wasn't clear what the output type was that you are creating. There is no Home button in any of the skins I'm aware of, but there is for Microsoft HTML Help layout. Because of this, we assumed you were creating CHM output.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Rick.

As you probably now realize, I'm creating WebHelp Pro output. I'm familiar with specifying Window properties, including Home information, for CHM files and so was surprised not to find the Advanced Properties option in the project's window. It was only by accident that I found the way to specify a link for a WebHelp output Home icon in the project skin.

The Project Set-up pane includes a Skins folder, where the original writer on this project created a skin. The WebHelp Skin Editor enables you to customize the link for the Home icon on the toolbar by specifiying the link or JavaScript on the Action tab.

8-15-2012 11-29-59 AM_home.png

8-15-2012 11-31-00 AM_action.png

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry sorry sorry... My bad!

I was confusing this post with another from yesterday with an eerily similar issue! Home button not working. And in that case there has been lots of back and forth and asking for screen shots to help diagnose and whatnot.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp