11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2012 7:45 AM by Ralph Eisenberg

Image Color, Print Settings Dialogue Box CS6

Ralph Eisenberg Level 1

The soft-proof of an image in CS6 gives a very good rendering based on a given paper profile for my printer. However subsequently, with proper settings in the Print Settings dialogue box, the image represented often has colors that are far from the earlier soft-proof rendering and are thoroughly inaccurate. The image prints correctly, having no resemblance to the image appearing in the dialogue box, but coming quite close to the soft-proof simulation. Is something amiss? On a system running Mac OS 10.8.

• 1. Re: Image Color, Print Settings Dialogue Box CS6
          Brett N Adobe Employee

Do you have the Match Print Colors and Show Paper White options on?

• 2. Re: Image Color, Print Settings Dialogue Box CS6
            Ralph Eisenberg Level 1

Those options are selected and are on. Thank you for reseponding.

• 3. Re: Image Color, Print Settings Dialogue Box CS6
              Brett N Adobe Employee

It's strange that you are getting a different result on screen but your prints come out fine. Could you post a screenshot of your Print dialog? Make sure the Color Managment settings are displayed.

• 4. Re: Image Color, Print Settings Dialogue Box CS6
                Ralph Eisenberg Level 1

What is odd is that the soft-proof simulation In CS6 looks fine and corresponds to the print output, it is only in the print dialogue with the same settings as in the soft-proof simulation, that the image often looks terrible.

• 5. Re: Image Color, Print Settings Dialogue Box CS6
                  Brett N Adobe Employee

Yes, that's what I meant by "on screen", I wasn't refering to the soft proofing, just the Print dialog. Which is why I'd like to see your Print dialog, to check it's settings.

• 6. Re: Image Color, Print Settings Dialogue Box CS6
                    Ralph Eisenberg Level 1

Thanks for your continuing attention to this question. Here is a screen capture of an image I am working on. Note that this image isn't that bad in the dialogue box (at least it is in the ballpark) but I'm submitting it for the settings. However, it is quite far from the soft-proof which closely resembles the final print. On other images, there is little resemblance.

Capture d’écran 2012-08-17 à 19.54.37.jpg

• 7. Re: Image Color, Print Settings Dialogue Box CS6
                      Brett N Adobe Employee

I tried to duplicate all of your settings (but I do not have your printer, nor a printer that allows for sending 16-bit data) and I'm not seeing what I'd call a drastic color shift (very slight desat of the reds it seems).

I assume you've calibrated your monitor with a device, so you are using a custom display profile.

In the very least, this is a minor issue as the print comes out correct (most important) and soft-proofing is working in the application. It's just an issue of the soft-proofing in the print dialog that's giving you an issue, which could be ignored.

Perhaps we need some input from someone with the same printer?

• 8. Re: Image Color, Print Settings Dialogue Box CS6
                        Noel Carboni Level 8

Can you please take screenshots of an image where there is little resemblance as you put it, showing the differences?

It would be helpful to know the color space of the image as well (e.g., do you see more of a disparity with ProPhoto RGB images?).

-Noel

• 9. Re: Image Color, Print Settings Dialogue Box CS6
                          Ralph Eisenberg Level 1

Thanks Brett N and Noel Carboni for your help.

Brett: yes, the monitor is calibrated and my general color settings are standard, taking into account my custom, device-generated display profile.

Noel: Following what I assume is a widespead practice, my images when converted from raw into 16 bit PSD or Tiff files are in the ProPhoto RGB color space, which also defines my working color space. Here is an image which soft-proofs accurately (i.e., it bears a close resemblance to the print output), but suffers great discrepancy in the Print Settings dialogue box.

Capture d’écran 2012-08-18 à 14.23.48.jpg

• 10. Re: Image Color, Print Settings Dialogue Box CS6
                            Noel Carboni Level 8

Is there any way you could screen grab the display showing the soft proof and post that image as well so the colors could be compared directly?

I'm working on a theory...  In the past I've seen the color-management, when done in the GPU (modes Normal and Advanced), do an inaccurate job of transforming colors to the monitor display specifically when the ProPhoto RGB profile is in use.  This apparently does not happen when the color-management is done in the CPU.  Adobe has known about this since quite a long while back and hasn't fixed it.

Would you be willing to try an experiment?  Go into Preferences - Performance, click the [Advanced Settings] button, and choose Basic mode.  Then Quit Photoshop and restart.  Do you see the same differences?

-Noel

• 11. Re: Image Color, Print Settings Dialogue Box CS6
                              Ralph Eisenberg Level 1

Hi Noel,

I tried what you indicated, but it is difficult for me to come to a reliable conclusion due to a dose of user suggestibility. My opinion is that your recommendation did provide better results, but they still differed from the soft-proof: colors are still bludgeoningly over-saturated in the dialogue box depiction of the image. As an earlier poster observed, the soft-proof works as intended, coming acceptably close to the print output, so it may be best to let sleeping dogs lie. If, as you suggest, this issue is more widespread and not merely an anomaly of my setup, I'm willing to accept that. I certainly appreciate your efforts.