8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2012 7:38 PM by Rick Gerard

How to properly timewarp 59.94 footage for slow motion effect for 29.97 output

messinaj

I have footage filmed in 59.94 that I want to use for slow motion effects and output to 29.97. Using timewarp I seem to get duplicate frames at times. What would the best workflow to accomplish the cleanest result? I've tried interpreting the footage at 29.97 and keeping it at its native 59.94. At this point I feel like I'm just confusing myself further by just trying random things. Thanks!

• 1. Re: How to properly timewarp 59.94 footage for slow motion effect for 29.97 output
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The first thing to do is find out if your footage has fields. It probably does not. Start by dragging the footage into the NEW Composition icon at the bottom of the Project Panel. Then step through the footage one frame at a time to make sure that your'e not seeing duplicate frames and interlacing artifacts.

If not, then just apply TimeWarp and adjust the settings. Even multiples of the frame rates should give you the best results. If you're still having problems at this point post a screenshot of your project showing the footage info from the Project Panel, the timeline and the ECW for TimeWarp.

• 2. Re: How to properly timewarp 59.94 footage for slow motion effect for 29.97 output
            messinaj Level 1

Should I have AE interpet the footage as 29.97? Or just work with the 59.94 footage in my 29.97 composition with timewarp? What I end up getting confused on is if I have this 59.94 footage in my 29.97 composition and I'm trying to use a timewarp to slow it down to 50% so that I get a slow motion effect with no duplicate frames (in my mind slowing down the 59.94 footage to 50% in a 29.97 composition shouldn't give me any duplicate frames) have I already lost the extra frames by interpreting it as 29.97? If I've already lost all those extra frames and I'm now slowing down 29.97 footage to 50%, then I can see why I'd be getting duplicate frames. Should I be working in a 59.94 composition and just outputting this as 29.97 when I'm done?

Thanks for the help. Short turn around on this, I wish I had the time to explore timewarp properly. 

• 3. Re: How to properly timewarp 59.94 footage for slow motion effect for 29.97 output

Always interpret footage as what it really is. If it is really 59.94 progressive then that's what it should be interpreted as. It will play at the right speed in any comp of any frame rate. IOW, if the footage is 10 seconds and you put it in a 99fps comp and play it back at full frame rate the clip will still be 10 seconds long. If you put it in a comp that's 15 frames per second, the clip will still be 10 seconds long.

Make sure you understand that.

There is a chance, and a good chance, that your footage is actually full frame 59.94 fps video. That's why I suggested putting it in a comp that's also 59.94 fps and checking for duplicate frames.

There is also a chance that your footage is actually 29.97 fps interlaced. If you separate fields and look at the footage in a 59.94 fps comp you won't see any duplicate frames.

To change the speed of the clip you just need to apply Time Remapping, Time Warp, or any of the other Time Time tools in AE. It doesn't make any difference what the frame rate of the composition is, you'll be changing the length of the clip.

To keep from creating duplicate frames you either need software that interprets the new, extra frames or you need to use an exact whole number multiple of the frame rate for rendering.

Where did you get the footage? What Camera? What are you trying to do with it? What is the final destination (delivery) for your project.

• 4. Re: How to properly timewarp 59.94 footage for slow motion effect for 29.97 output
                messinaj Level 1

They're for graphic bumpers at the end of a TV show's act and I'm going to render them at 29.97 and import them into a linear editing software called Avid. The footage is 59.94 but unfortunately I don't know the camera it was filmed with. The bumpers are objects being broken, so I want to slow the 59.94 footage to 50% right before the object shatters so I hold in that destructive moment as long as I can before ramping back to full speed. Think of someone breaking a plate on a table. All you see is the plate coming down into frame and shattering along with the show logo and a graphic overlay.

• 5. Re: How to properly timewarp 59.94 footage for slow motion effect for 29.97 output
                  messinaj Level 1

I just jumped into AE and here's what I see.

My 59.94 clip, just placed in a composition, does not have any duplicate frames. Only when I slow it down do I see these duplicates. In a 29.97 composition, I should be able to use the frames that I'm droping to slow down the footage up to 50% without getting any duplicates. That's really all I'm trying to do and can't seem to find a way. Can I break the .mov into individual frames and work with it a differenet way? I don't need the audio. Thanks Rick.

• 6. Re: How to properly timewarp 59.94 footage for slow motion effect for 29.97 output
                    messinaj Level 1

Also, Pixel Motion seems to produce distortions, the only way I've been able to do this is to set Method to Whole Frames.

• 7. Re: How to properly timewarp 59.94 footage for slow motion effect for 29.97 output
                      messinaj Level 1

Ok, so exporting my footage as a image sequence and then re-importing and interpreting it as 29.97 allows me to play the fluid slow motion effect at 100% and normal real time speed at 200%. No duplicate frames. Thanks for the help Rick!

• 8. Re: How to properly timewarp 59.94 footage for slow motion effect for 29.97 output

No problem. FYI, if you're going to do a bunch of slow mo I'd suggest Twixtor... It works very well.