2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2012 7:16 AM by smittywriter412

Custom colors in FrameMaker 10 not being maintained when printing PDF using Distiller/Professional X

smittywriter412 Level 1

Hello all,

I am working my first tech writing job that requires printed material instead of just PDFs, and I am having problems with the logo colors when it comes to printing them.

I created the two color definitions in FrameMaker 10 (using colors Pantone 485 CVC and Pantone 281 CVC). These colors are used for diagram callouts and doc titles.

I recently upgraded to Distiller X and Acrobat Professional X, thinking that maybe the older versions just didn't support those colors, and I am still getting the same result. Instead of printing the colors I added, the PDF is printed with the default red and blue. FrameMaker is using the CMYK model.

I have a feeling that I just need to adjust some settings, but I don't know whether to adjust Distiller, Acrobat, or FrameMaker. Anyone else have issues when trying to use their company's colors? Any ideas on what might work?

Thanks in advance,

Smitty

• 1. Re: Custom colors in FrameMaker 10 not being maintained when printing PDF using Distiller/Professional X
          John Danek Level 4

Er, would be nice to know what you are using to print the file.  Those colors are Pantone Spot Colors and will be interpreted by whatever print driver you happen to be using.  Or, yes they will default to a Red and a Blue.  FilemakerPro is not exactly the defacto standard for print publishing.  Distiller converts your file to PDF using default settings or custom settings you create.  Acrobat has some control, but all this really depends on your output device and, to go a bit further, your paper.  What did they say in the Filemaker forum?

• 2. Re: Custom colors in FrameMaker 10 not being maintained when printing PDF using Distiller/Professional X
            smittywriter412 Level 1

John,

I'm not even sure what printer we use since we send the PDFs out to be printed on a glossy paper (I'm new to the position so I don't have all the details yet). All I use is my Adobe PDF printer. I'm also not using FileMaker, I'm using FrameMaker since I am producing manuals that will be printed, not marketing material or anything with a lot of images. I am just trying to get the logo colors to appear correctly in the PDF so that when it does get printed off-site, the Pantone colors are seen and not the default in the final product. I will post this in the FrameMaker forum as well.

Thanks for your response.

Smitty