• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 9 gives an out of memory error and crashes when I try to import or link a Frame 10 file or

Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Tech Suite 3. If I start a new RoboHelp project and try to import or link Frame files, RoboHelp tries for a while, then I get an Out of Memory error and the program crashes.

I opened one of the sample projects and was able to link to one of my frame files without any problem, so it seems to be an issue with creating something new.

Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kay,

Can you please let me few things here.

1. It happened only when you Import or Link Frame doc?

2. Have you tried with any other project which you created in Robohelp itself.

3. Are these Framemaker docs and Robohelp project is in Shared Drive(Network location).

Thanks

Priyank

Thanks,
Priyank Shrivastava

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens when I create a new project and then try to import or link frame docs to make up the content. It starts scanning, then crashes. I did get it to the conversion setting page once, but no further.

It does not happen if I open one of the supplied example projects and link a file. But then it doesn't let me choose, during import, any style mapping. And I can't delete the sample project fold

Twice now it has told me when I tried to import (not link, but import) that my .fm file could not be opened, and told me to verify that Frame is installed (it is) and that the file is a valid frame file (it is).

The docs and project are in separate folders on my C: drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thread moved to FrameMaker Integration forum.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you create a simple FrameMaker file with little or no content and link / import that into a new project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kay,

Does your FM file open with any missing resource dialogs (and are you suppressing alerts via Prefs)?

To me it sounds as if RH is unable to properly access the FM file.

Check out http://framemaker.mattrsullivan.com/2010/01/27/checklist-for-framemaker-to-robohelp-crashes/ for hints to what might cause this

-Matt

@mattrsullivan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Matt. That did the trick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I could help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2016 Apr 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues you were having.  The new link to Matt's checklist appears to be now also be down.  Do you happen to have the document?

Thanks,

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2016 Apr 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is a Contact link on Matt's site. I am sure he will be happy to point you to the correct location.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

I know I'm getting to this topic a few years late, but I'm a new TCS 2015 user and have run into the same problem that KayH describes. I tried to follow the troubleshooting link you mentioned, but the page no longer exists. Do you know of another location where I can find that info?

Thanks,

-Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just shot Matt off an e-mail asking about it – he’s revamped his site since that post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Samantha, sorry for the dead link...I moved servers a year or so, and I imagine that is the reason for the broken link.

The content is also up at Checklist for FrameMaker to RoboHelp Crashes.

The content relates to TCS2, so I hope it still can help you with TCS2015!

I've also got info on using Fm2015 to publish content at http://training.techcommtools.com/

This content relates to FrameMaker 2015 Digital Publishing. Is there a reason (yes, there are reasons...) that you need to use RoboHelp for digital publishing?

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2015 Jul 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use Robohelp to autogenerate our TOCs and indexes across 29 different manuals. As far as I know, FrameMaker does not autogenerate indexes - you have to use a marker to add each subject, which would be too time-consuming for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure FM creates TOCs and IXs – that’s one of its strengths. But if you haven’t been marking with index markers already when creating FM content, it’s a bit of a pain to retro-fit them (there are a bunch of third-party tools that can help with that too)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd wager that with 29 manuals, you can't afford *not* to index from FrameMaker. The Find/Change command makes it easy enough to mark each index term (I mark the first instance, then globally replace "the phrase" with "the phrase and the marker" using Change By Pasting. It should take about 2 minutes for each term in your index. Then you're done.

As Jeff noted, there are tools like IXGen that can help as well.

If you're updating the TOC and IX from RoboHelp, you may be spending more time than necessary to manage the TOC and IX.

Or not. In which case you should continue to do exactly as you've been doing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp