22 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2012 8:18 AM by ECBowen

UPS Power Backup

Baz R Level 3

Hi,

I am looking for a UPS for my Editing Suite, As a backup for Power cuts.

are there any recomendations or type of ups I should look out for, APC Seem to be popluar here in the UK.

Thanks

Baz

• 1. Re: UPS Power Backup
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Baz,

APC is very popular here as well. Just be careful you get a UPS with sufficient VA ratings. For my system I would need 2200 VA. The nice thing about eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Pro v2.5 is that it also shows the recommended VA rating for a UPS.

Also look at this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1045527?tstart=0

• 2. Re: UPS Power Backup
            VHC-CO-IT Level 1

APC typically comes with software and USB connection which will operate your PC until the battery is depleted then shut it down safely via a normal Windows shutdown command before the battery runs completely out.  That alone is worth it right there.  The really low end APC products come with sort of sketchy batteries.  For lead acid ones, you'd think they'd run for like 10 years instead of 2 but it's sometimes closer to 2

Cyberpower is the only other competitor  that makes reasonably priced UPSes (but also crappy internal batteries lol) that are actually good too so they're worth a shot if you don't need that amazing level of functionality and intelligence.

• 3. Re: UPS Power Backup
              Scott Chichelli Level 3

i like tripp lite better than APC

Ultra is another..

make sure its

1) more wattage than your power supply/lcds and any other items in the studio. (may want to buy 2 and devide) note wattage is NOT VA.. a 1500VA is NOT 1500W....

2) inline interactive is a must..

3) dont worry about run time the biggest reason to buy one is to protect from brownouts (low voltage)

• 4. Re: UPS Power Backup
                VHC-CO-IT Level 1

Don't use Ultra.  That's the generic brand owned by Systemax (Systemax owns Tiger Direct, Infotel, Circuit City, CompUSA, and 1 other I forgot).  They just take other people's OEM stuff and slap their name on it and it's always the cheapest equipment they can find.

I've never used TrippLite before but these people in these reviews have and they sound pretty mad lol

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842111032

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842111337

That seems in line with what I've heard about TrippLite's lower end products but their corporate level stuff is pretty nice.

For everyone's reference, the VA will always be higher than the watts because of how a UPS delivers power.  It's sort of a way of faking their ratings because the total power level it's capable of outputting is still 1 number and it's still what the devices attached are measured in.  No amount of supplying current at a certain time over an out of sync sine wave will cause a 150 VA socket to supply 150W of power to a device that consumes 150W for example.

What you wrote in 3 is simply incorrect.  All but the most expensive UPSes are very poor at protecting from voltage dips and spikes.  They're specifically for outright power outages.  Our 4 servers at work have gone offline 3 times out of 6 power outages in the last 1.5 years because of a lack of sufficient runtime and it's a 48V 12-battery bank in a VERY high end APC UPS.

• 5. Re: UPS Power Backup
                  Scott Chichelli Level 3

Funny we have a good 75 or so in the field how about you?

I have experience to back it up.. (Pun intended)

Thanks

Scott Chichelli

ADK Media Group LLC

• 6. Re: UPS Power Backup
                    VHC-CO-IT Level 1

I don't see how having a certain amount of something live in the field affects how awful their quality is, lol.  Anyone can use any hardware for anything.  Plenty of companies have 1000 HP desktops.  That doesn't mean they're good, it just means they're cheap and that most IT purchases don't know what they're doing.

I did a 2 week contract at a call center to help them swap out 120 PCs with laptops.  They got Dells and they weren't cheap Dells either.  Out of 120, 19 went back under RMA in the first week for various hardware problems.  Like I said, anyone can buy and put anything out there, it doesn't mean it's good.  Another example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826193058

At least 130 people bought those and found out they suck lol.

• 7. Re: UPS Power Backup
                      Scott Chichelli Level 3

You don’t give up or get it at all..

Experience in the field.. something you don’t seem to have with the product you are trying to dis..

Reading newegg reviews (really? Noob..) gives you little insight in to the truth.

That means I have numerous product out there that HAS NOT FAILED. I support and warranty everything !

I would not sell them if they had issues.

Thanks

Scott Chichelli

ADK Media Group LLC

• 8. Re: UPS Power Backup
                        ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

VHC-CO-IT wrote:

Don't use Ultra.  That's the generic brand owned by Systemax (Systemax owns Tiger Direct, Infotel, Circuit City, CompUSA, and 1 other I forgot).  They just take other people's OEM stuff and slap their name on it and it's always the cheapest equipment they can find.

You realize that the majority of the American manufacturers or even the manufacturers in the West buy their hardware from ODM's in the east that most have never heard of before? Do you really think that business model in the IT industry is specific to a group of specific companies?

What is the scope of information supporting the position Ultra hardware is cheap and inferior? What experience supports that position? How is that possible when they had one of the few 1600W PSU units in the market that had very high ratings by high end server and workstation configurators and users?

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: UPS Power Backup
                          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Remember that people are more likely to submit a review about a problem with a product than they are to say that it works. (Although I've never seen a bad review of ADK)

• 10. Re: UPS Power Backup
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Eric,

It may be that Newegg has no relevant reviews on them, since that is where he usually gets his info from.

• 11. Re: UPS Power Backup
                              VHC-CO-IT Level 1

Like I said.  Ultra doesn't make anything.  They just put their name on other people's products like Rosewill does (owned by newegg).  So you can't say Ultra makes greate products, as they do not make anything.  That 1600W PSUs is made by another company.  If they're good, it's probably Corsair.  A lot of Rosewill PSUs are made by Deer, the worst PSU maker out there.  And yet, they release fantastic wireless adapters...because they're made by TPLink and Realtek.  That's why I said don't buy Ultra.  I don't buy something unless I know what I'm actually getting.

Oh and Scott, Newegg is the #2 largest online retailer in the world next to Amazon. Their reviews are the most accurate and extensive anywhere except a dedicated testing company.  I should post a link to this forum on a professional custom building forum so we can get their opinion on newegg being bad for reviews, lol.

• 12. Re: UPS Power Backup
                                VHC-CO-IT Level 1

Peru Bob wrote:

Remember that people are more likely to submit a review about a problem with a product than they are to say that it works. (Although I've never seen a bad review of ADK)

While that is true and people simply assembling their computer or installing parts incorrectly is a source for even more bad reviews, newegg is large enough that you'll get the real truth.  Then there's people like me who review almost everything I buy there just to help out other people.  For example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

2,717 5 star reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

5,942 total reviews

They carry 554 cases.  That's the best one.  See, you can find out that easily lol.

It works for brands too.  7 out of the top 10 sets of RAM are made by Gskill.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=147&name=Desktop-Memory&Order=RAT ING

Someone on this forum earlier was saying Gskill was awful.  THE WORST!  Well, about 10,000 reviews say something different, lol.

Why use outdated, biased opinions about a brand when you can simply see what thousands of other people thought of it.  If 1000 people say one thing and you think another, chances are the 1000 are more accurate.  That's why I love newegg.

• 13. Re: UPS Power Backup
                                  Scott Chichelli Level 3

thanks Peru..

this guy is soo funny...

ok lets put it this way maybe you can understand it.. VHC.

a particular motherboard manufacturer had good reviews on newegg..

an enduser (who vast experiance is 1 motherboard) rates it as good.. yea he got lucky..

very same board we would get in a few boxes (thats 10 per box) and have 50% of them either doa or die on the bench (fortuantely we have burn in/testing that take days so we catch them dying)

obviously we have to switch to a new manufacturer but cant do this on a whim (unlike some)

as we have to test and validate said mobo with numerous hardware for audio and video and them with software.. (this takes weeks of bench time)

funny thing is this very same manufacturer has always been touted as great and we have been thru this 3 times with them over many yrs, they got so bad i refused to use them and also had an employee who said if we go back to them i quit.. and he was dead serious..

so yeah  newegg is a great source for reviews..

OCZ is a classic example as well they have some of the worst support/warrnty/rma and failure rate.  (they quite selling ram becuase of the loss they took from making bad junk)

problem is these 1 time 1 off guys post the day they get their board.. you cant change it one its posted...

so yeah junior you keep believing newegg.. i will use my 100s of products actually used to base the facts on..

• 14. Re: UPS Power Backup
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Second that, Scott.

• 16. Re: UPS Power Backup
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

The only significant difference with the XT model that was in the link in Steven's thread is the capability to add additional batteries in the XT model. Whether that is worth the extra investment is up to you. Those extra extended batteries are not cheap either, but they do buy you extra time. If your generator is located in a shed with your neighbours around a mile away, the extra time can be welcome, if it is in your basement, probably this model is OK.

• 18. Re: UPS Power Backup

BTW Corsair does not make their own PSU's either. I wont tell you atleast 1 ODM who they buy from since it's Corsair's business and not ours.

Eric

ADK

• 19. Re: UPS Power Backup

VHC-CO-IT wrote:

Like I said.  Ultra doesn't make anything.  They just put their name on other people's products like Rosewill does (owned by newegg).  So you can't say Ultra makes greate products, as they do not make anything.  That 1600W PSUs is made by another company.  If they're good, it's probably Corsair.  A lot of Rosewill PSUs are made by Deer, the worst PSU maker out there.  And yet, they release fantastic wireless adapters...because they're made by TPLink and Realtek.  That's why I said don't buy Ultra.  I don't buy something unless I know what I'm actually getting.

Oh and Scott, Newegg is the #2 largest online retailer in the world next to Amazon. Their reviews are the most accurate and extensive anywhere except a dedicated testing company.  I should post a link to this forum on a professional custom building forum so we can get their opinion on newegg being bad for reviews, lol.

There is nothing in this post that supports the position that Ultra uses inferior components or sells inferior products. Instead there is yet another manufacturer listed that supposedly uses inferior components or sells inferior products. Do you have any data supporting the position on either? Were you at the manufacturing facilities inspecting the production noticing the components used in the products?

Eric

ADK

• 20. Re: UPS Power Backup

That UPS would be ideal since it does output a sinewave from the specs and it's based on EU power. Just make sure the circuit you plug it into has greater Load capability than that unit.

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
                                            • 21. Re: UPS Power Backup
                                              Scott Chichelli Level 3

Actually Eric is public knowledge whilst obscure its out there..

And to think we buy DIRECT from that company J

But what do we know..

• 22. Re: UPS Power Backup

Then that information should be linked with the position so people can see the information for themselves. Just stating such and such is horrible, inferior, bad, or so on means nothing without the data/information to backup the position.

Eric
                                                ADK