17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2012 10:43 AM by Luis Cepeda

The best HDD setup for my configuration

Jcsakh

Hello! My desktop configuration:

Intel core I7-2600K

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P

16 Gb RAM 1600 mHz (4*4Gb)

Inno 3D Nvidia GTX 580

I have 5 HDD in my system. What is the best way for Premier pro CS5.5 for this HDD's?

HDD 1 Kingston V200 256Gb SSD

HDD 2 Hitachi 1Tb 7K1000 7200 rpm SATA 3*2 (RAID 0)

HDD 3 Hitachi 1Tb 7K1000 7200 rpm SATA 3

HDD 4 Hitachi 1Tb 7K1000 7200 rpm SATA 3

HDD 5 Western digital 2Tb 7200 rpm USB 3.0 (External)

• 1. Re: The best HDD setup for my configuration
          Harm Millaard Level 7

HDD 1 Kingston V200 256Gb SSD, OS & programs

HDD 2 Hitachi 1Tb 7K1000 7200 rpm SATA 3*2 (RAID 0), pagefile, media cache, previews because of speed

HDD 3 Hitachi 1Tb 7K1000 7200 rpm SATA 3, media

HDD 4 Hitachi 1Tb 7K1000 7200 rpm SATA 3, projects

HDD 5 Western digital 2Tb 7200 rpm USB 3.0 (External), backup and exports because of size

would be my suggestion.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: The best HDD setup for my configuration
            Jcsakh Level 1

Many many many thanks. Your answer will help me for best and comfort videoedit!!!

• 3. Re: The best HDD setup for my configuration
              Jcsakh Level 1

My last question: is "project" means only .prproj files or somethihg else?

• 5. Re: The best HDD setup for my configuration
                VHC-CO-IT Level 1

I hate to break it to you but the Kingston V200 SSDNow products are the absolute worst SSD ever made.  They have failure rates through the roof and Kingston hasn't fixed the problem where write speeds slow down to around 18-35MB/sec after a week or so of usage.  They've been known to get a WEI rating of 5.9 too.  The 64GB and 128GB editions have much more severe problems but even the 256's are screwey.  Go search "Kingston V200" on newegg and read the 50 or so total reviews.  They're scary!

The Kingston HyperX's on the other hand are amazing, award winning drives that at one point were the fastest available 2.5" SATA III drives.

• 6. Re: The best HDD setup for my configuration
                  Jcsakh Level 1

Thank you for advice. As soon as will appear possibility I change this disk on another, but presently use this and constantly make backup.

• 7. Re: The best HDD setup for my configuration
                    Luis Cepeda

Harm Millaard,

I am also interested in this answer you've given, I am almost ready to put a similar system together my mist is the the following:

a) Can RAID 0 be accomplished with a single HDD?

b) Would 3 identical drive in RAID 0 and then partitioned into 3 drives performed better than living the RAID 0 as it? e. g., 3x 1TB in raid 0 = 3TB or 3x 1TB in raid 0 = D: 800GB, E: 800GB and F: 1300GB or the remainding of the raid in F. what is best?

c) multiple Raid 0 for ( Intel, JMicrom or other chips ) is it a good idea/Posible?

I am planning in performance not interested in back up or others just the best friendly set up for premiere. My OS will be running alone on an intel 180GB SSD.

Thanks

Luis

• 8. Re: The best HDD setup for my configuration
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

a) Can RAID 0 be accomplished with a single HDD?

No.

b) Would 3 identical drive in RAID 0 and then partitioned into 3 drives performed better than living the RAID 0 as it? e. g., 3x 1TB in raid 0 = 3TB or 3x 1TB in raid 0 = D: 800GB, E: 800GB and F: 1300GB or the remainding of the raid in F. what is best?

Partitioning only increases wear-and-tear, reducing life-span and reducing performance.

c) multiple Raid 0 for ( Intel, JMicrom or other chips ) is it a good idea/Posible?

Not possible.

• 9. Re: The best HDD setup for my configuration
                        Luis Cepeda Level 1

Thanks

I was hopping at least b to be an option for me, the reason is I have bought 2x 1TB WD Velocity raptor, 3 1TB WD Caviar Black for my system, I wanted to set up a RAID for the 2x 1TB Velcity Raptors and anpther for the 3 1TB Caviar Black, both Raid 0 and have them partitioned to have about 5 different drives show in my system. I guess this is not going to work for me then.

If I do not use RAID set up for my drives, ( WIN 7 send the HDD to sleep mode when not in use for certain time, at least mine are behaving like so, this causes Premiere to wait a long time for the HDD to wake up on call to write or read data from it. Is this something I can change in Bios so the HDD are always ON, this way I could posibly have my HDD in non-raid set up then.

Or is there any recommendation for best set up?

EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58

and my HDD

1x Intel 180GB 520 Series Internal Solid-State Drive ( for OS and Programs )

2x Western Digital 1 TB VelociRaptor 3.5" Internal HDD

3x Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black SATA Internal Hard Drive

thanks

• 10. Re: The best HDD setup for my configuration
                          DeePeeBee Level 1

Luis, you have a very interesting motherboard. According to the EVGA manual you have six internal SATA3 connections controlled by the South Bridge Chipset and capable of operating at up to 300MB/s.  You ALSO have two SATA6 ports (the red ones) that operate from a Marvell chipset at a transfer rate up to 600MB/s.  And to top it off you have an IDE connector that can support two devices (its the long connector to the right of the red SATA port).

Others will know far better than I, but it seems to me that you could try a RAID0 on the SATAII Intel ports and another RAID0 on the SATAIII Marvell ports. And if you fill up all the SATA ports you still have the IDE port for an optical device. I would appreciate input from others who are more knowledgable.

I wouldn't recommend partitioning either RAID.

Your manual has very little advice on how to set up the RAIDs, but it does say the CD contains the drivers for both the Intel RAID and the Marvell SATAIII drivers.

You will have to install the Intel RAID drivers when you install Windows - I don't think there's any way to add them later other than going into the Registry.  I'm not sure when you would install the Marvell drivers.  If your installation CD doesn't help and you have too little info in your manual, you could look at almost any other vendors manual - I think the RAID driver installation is pretty common on all MBs, Windows actually flashes a request early in the install asking  "Do you have third-party drivers to install?". You just need to have the correct drivers which you should have on your CD.

I was planning to try out something similar on my ASUS P9X79WS board, so I'd like to hear how you make out with yours.

Good luck,

Dorothy

• 11. Re: The best HDD setup for my configuration
                            Luis Cepeda Level 1

DeePeeeBee,

Very well explained, exactly the type answer I was looking for, so thank you for that.

On the IDE por of my MB, how do I get a SATA disk connected? a IDE to SATA converter cable? Sorry but IDE has not been in my way for a very long time.

I will defenetly post my results here and how I did it when done, hopefully other can benefit from my results.

So this is my current hardware set up and expecting to have time to put together by the weekend, ( actually the system has been running for more than a year now but I needed an upgrade specially for my HDD and monitors )

Graphic Card:
                            Nvidia Quadro FX 4800 VCQFX4800 ( I do not see many people saying good thing about this card except for expensive but I am very happy with the real time playback and the rendering time of this card)

CASE:
                            COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Steel ATX Full Tower ( Best case I have ever could buy 5 stars for me )

Board:
                            EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

(Board is almost 2 years old but it is excellent board )

RAM:
                            G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

(Could have been better but I guess my budget was limited top that, also being used right now and performance is pretty good for me)

CPU:
                            Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core

(At the time was my best choice since I could not aford a extreme edition cpu, I ma very happy with it so far.)

Cooler:
                            COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle (I hope I can find this cooler around when I buy for my next system, I may not need air conditioning in my studio, this cooler and the tower in conbination can only run at the lowest temp you can imagine, I have not noticed any warm air blowing out of my case, this is not real...I just have to say WOW!!! Love it)

HDD: 2 x Velocity Raptors 600GB 10K ( will use the Marvell chip for RAID 0 and will use this drive for media ... Capture, re-usable clips, sound, music and other pre-done effects and template for After effects, Encore audition and PS)

HDD: 3 x 1TB WD Caviar Black 7200 RPM ( Will use as RAID 0 on Intel chip, will be used

for output files, media cache for all adobe aplications and previous files )

HDD: Intel 120GB SSD drive version 520 ( will only have OS win7 and Adobe CS5.5 or maybe CS6 if I can soon budget an upgrade, MS Office and Roxio for ISO files and virtual drive)

Display:
                            2 x 22" Gateway Wide screen max resolution at 1650

(Getting these brand new and hopping they are a good choise)

Will post back.

Thanks

Luis

• 12. Re: The best HDD setup for my configuration
                              Alan Craven Level 4

Luis,

I have a motherboard with a similar arrangement of SATA ports - both Intel and Marvell.

I have one RAID 0 on the Intel ports for Media, and a second RAID 0 on two of the Marvell Ports for Cache and Previews, just as Dorothy suggests.  There is no magic needed for this - just follow the motherboard instructions.

You can use all the other ports for single non-RAID drives too - I have an SSD on the 6 Gb/s Intel port 0, and a 250 GB velociraptor on the other 6 Gb/s for page file.  My Blu-ray drive is on a fifth Intel port and a connection to a front panel eSATA port on the other.  I also use one of the remaining Marvell ports.

You MUST enable the Intel RAID mode in the BIOS before you start to install Windows and then install the Intel RAID driver before you install Windows - there is a special Intel pre-install driver for this - using a USB stick and the "F6" method.  If you try to install in AHCI mode and then convert to RAID mode, then Windows will become un-bootable, and it is almost impossible to go back - even restoring an image will not work for sure.

• 13. Re: The best HDD setup for my configuration
                                Luis Cepeda Level 1

Thanks to all,

I have set up my Array but have some doubt.

1) Install my 6 HDD to the system as follow:

a) 120GB SSD on Intel controller #0 (SATA 0 ) according to my Mother Board (OS & APP)

b) 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black on Portson SATA 1,2 Intel controller (RAID 0 for these two drives)

c) 1x 1TB WD Caviar Black in Port 3 Intel Controller

d) Blue Ray DVD Room port 4

e) Front e-SATA port 5

f) 2x 600GB Velocity Raptor ports 6,7  (RAID 0) these are the 6Gb/s ports.

Everything seems to be okay, except for two things:

1) When I first boot into windows I had to go into Computer>>Manage to create new volumes for my disk, they show as single disks which tells that they are actually correctly set up in raid but I not sure if this is normal or I did something wrong.

2) When I go into device manager I have missing drivers warning for Marvell controller, even they seem to be working just fine. The problem is I do not see any drivers under my mother Board (EVGA) website for this chips, they only show intel drivers, so are these drivers the same as Intel?

Thanks

Luis

• 14. Re: The best HDD setup for my configuration
                                  DeePeeBee Level 1

Luis, I have a two disk (1TB each) Intel RAID 0 on one of my machines and Computer>Manage>Storage>disk Management  shows that RAID as a single volume of 1836 GB. It also shows my OS drive as another single volume.

On my P9X79 machine, I have a four disk (1TB each) RAID0, and the same Manage tabs show that RAID as a single volume of 3539 GB.  If that's like what you are seeing, then you should have a RAID system installed. To check, you should boot into the BIOS setup screen which should clearly show the two raid disks as being in RAID mode, your SSD as a single volume, your lone Caviar Black as another single volume, and the DVD ROM. I'm not sure how the e-SATA connection will appear. In neither case do the individual discs in the RAID appear in the listing of devices.

You can also look under "Program files" for an entry under "Intel".  You may have installed their Intel Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise program which does show ALL of your devices listed with the discs in the RAID system showing as an array.

If that's not what you're seeing and the BIOS does not show a RAID, then - SORRY - you will have to reinstall Windows. Right at the very beginning, you will be asked if you have third-party drivers to install. You could copy your drivers from the CD to a USB thumb drive, but you should just be able to put the motherboard CD into the CD ROM and directly load the  "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Drivers".  With those drivers installed, go back to finish the Windows installation and when you boot up, go into the BIOS setup screens to create your Intel RAID.

In reading the Marvel manual for my machine, it looks like you can install those drivers (different from the Intel drivers) and set up that RAID AFTER the windows installation using the motherboard CD ROM.

I would suggest you look at the ASUS manual for their equivalent motherboard and read thru their instructions for setting up both of the RAIDs. If you have any questions I'd be happy to try to answer them,

Dorothy

• 15. Re: The best HDD setup for my configuration
                                    Luis Cepeda Level 1

Thanks Dorothy,

That is what I see, BIOS show my RAID on both INtel and Marvell during boot up and my drives show as single disk, so as far as that is I think I am alright, my question was more directed to why I am missing driver in my divece manager if this is a new installation and the MArvell driver are supposed to be Onboard already from factory as per EVGA, also the fact that I had to go into computer management to actually format the drives so they would show, that was my mist.

I will install the driver from EVGA and see what happens, any ways I am just building right now and it is not going to hurt to have me start over, except for the time I would loose.

But thanks for the quick reply.

Luis

• 16. Re: The best HDD setup for my configuration
                                      DeePeeBee Level 1

Luis, I think it is normal to have to format the drives, I did on my installation, so I don't think you did anything wrong. In fact it sounds like you have both RAIDs set up and working. I looked at the EVGA website for downloads, and if you search for your motherboard, and then click on show ALL drivers, you will see a long list which includes an item in 2011 called SATA 6 floppy. If you click on VIEW for that you will see that it lists new firmware for the chipset and new drivers for the Marvell ports.  That's probably what your "device manager' needs to clear its alarm flags.

You shouldn't have to start over as long as you don't have a lot of data on your Marvell RAID, in which case you'd have to back that up before you update the Firmware.

When you finish your build, you should try the PPBM5 benchmark - if you have any problems in your install, they will show up in one or more of the data points being way out of whack with similar installations.

• 17. Re: The best HDD setup for my configuration
                                        Luis Cepeda Level 1

Dorothy you are amazing.

I did saw that at the EGVA website under my mother board but never thought about clicking in the view link...I guess I was in a rush trying to get everything done.

Thanks for the helpful reply and for taking the time to help me here. I will make sure everything is backed up and will do the updated, hopefully there would be no need to start over again, but if indeed it will, I be okay with it.

Thanks again.

Luis