8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2006 1:58 PM by Newsgroup_User

Music in Pop-up

hope1 Level 1
      Dear All,

I have seen it done on another site, but can't remember where: User selects 'sound' and a pop-up appears. One can then turn on the music in the pop up and it plays while the user browses the entire site, unless they turn it off.

I tried this, and as soon as one clicks to go to another page, the pop up refreshes, shutting off the music. This only happens when leaving the page that the pop up was opened from. Otherwise, when going from page to page, the pop up does stay steady, not refreshing, and the music continues to play.

Any tips?

The music plays from a .swf embedded in the pop up which is an html file. The swf acces an mp3 file on the sever.

Thanks so much for any ideas.

Sincerely,
      Hope
        • 1. Re: Music in Pop-up
          Level 7
          > I tried this, and as soon as one clicks to go to another page, the pop up
          > refreshes, shutting off the music.

Hmmmmm...can't imagine why this would be the case. Changing pages in one
          browser window shouldn't effect the window you .swf music player is in.

Got URL?

• 2. Re: Music in Pop-up
            hope1 Level 1
            Dear Alan,

Thank you so much....Yes, here is the URL:

I really appreciate this.
            Sincerely,
            Hope

http://www.maharishihoney.com/home/index.html
            • 3. Re: Music in Pop-up
              hope1 Level 1
              Dear Alan,

Well thanks to your attention, I remade the page. As you were surprised this was happening, I knew it shouldn't do it.

The page remake, fixed the problem. There was something buggy in the page I guess.

Thanks again so much,
              Hope
              • 4. Re: Music in Pop-up
                bregent Most Valuable Participant
                >There was something buggy in the page I guess.

Glad to got the audio problem worked out. By the way I really like sites that give visitors the option to start the music and play in a seperate window rather than relying on frames.

But did you see what occurs when you resize the text? That's what happens when you use nbsp's as a layout method.
                • 5. Re: Music in Pop-up
                  Level 7
                  > Well thanks to your attention, I remade the page.

Good for you. I got sidetracked and didn't get back to you in a timely
                  manner. Sorry.
                  But good on you for figuring out the problem yourself.

> The page remake, fixed the problem. There was something buggy in the page
                  > I
                  > guess.

And as Bregent points out, your still have problems trying to push "sound"
                  over the the left of the page using nbsp's.
                  Notice how in IE browers "sound" is in the left column between "Our
                  Specialty" and "Vedic & Modern Science"
                  You could simply put all of the first column of a table cell and the sound
                  item in the second column. (link to example below).

You can also see how your "Maharishi Honey" image (mhtitle.png) doesn't have
                  a transparent backgroung in IE whereas is does rendered correctly in
                  Firefox. It takes a little extra effort to get this kind of transparency to
                  function in IE browser. (link to example below) I think this isn't a problem
                  in IE 7 but I'm not entirely sure.

http://www.buddhapada.com/tests/maharishi/

Information about IE alpha transparency:
                  http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/

• 6. Re: Music in Pop-up
                    hope1 Level 1
                    Dear Alan,

This is so very, very kind of you. I appreciate greatly the time you took to look into this all and also, on top of that give me a fix for the png situation. I have gone to your site,...lovely front page, the green budha...., and taken all the code from the page you made. I am completely amazed at all you have given. I will try to figure out the tutorial on the subject. I do not have a pc to check these things in. Is there anyway, one can install ie 6 on a mac in some way, to check these things.

Thank you again so much for all the time and effort you have extended. I am immensely grateful for your kindness.

Sincerely,
                    Hope
                    • 7. Re: Music in Pop-up
                      hope1 Level 1
                      Dear bregent,

Thank you so much for taking the time to help. I'm glad you like the sound delivery idea. It is very kind of you to say so. This is the first time I have worked with sound loading in this way.

Thank you also, for the cell idea. I will do it for the sound link.

Appreciate so much your great input.

All the best,
                      Sincerely,
                      Hope
                      • 8. Re: Music in Pop-up
                        Level 7
                        Dear bregent,

Thank you so much for taking the time to help. I'm glad you like the sound
                        delivery idea. It is very kind of you to say so. This is the first time I have
                        worked with sound loading in this way.

Thank you also, for the cell idea. I will do it for the sound link.

Appreciate so much your great input.

All the best,
                        Sincerely,
                        Hope