sent you a pm
Actually I just tried created a project from scratch and I've found out what the issue is. The EDL's 'FROM CLIP NAME' us using is referring to my clip reference (WS etc), when it should refer to its filename (A029etc.R3D). Does anyone know how I can get premiere to use this instead of the custom clip name?
I could really do with some help here.
I've narrowed the issue down to the fact that I've renamed each of my clips in the bin as I logged them in, and the EDL is referring to this. If I had left these clips have the original source file name then the EDL export would have worked. This is really frustrating since its normal practice to do this when Logging in clips. The issue is complicated further with the fact that I am handling merged clips.
Could someone please tell me if its possible to pull and EDL into Speedgrade from Premiere when the clip names have been changed in the Bin?
when I rename the clip to the file name the non merged clips work the case is NOT the same with merged clips. Changing the merged clips (and its source clips) name to the file name has no effect and the EDL still referes to the name I gave it when logging in. I have also tried renaming the clip from the the timeline with no result.
I could really do with some input and having recently moved over from Final Cut I'm very surprised that you don't get the option to choose the metadata the EDL is referring to and why they would choose clip name as opposed to file name.
Exporting DPX takes way too, the performance isnt great when grading and I lose all my RED R3D Metadata.
Thanks in advance,
Adobe seems to no longer answer to bugs/errors in their software. The export to .dpx process literally boggles my mind. Nine minutes of 720p P2 footage takes nearly 15min when "Send to Speedgrade" in PP CS6.
The EDL's are broken; they don't link up to all your clips and they report incorrect FPS. It's been almost a week and I've yet to get a response from Adobe.
Next time, I won't be buying their products for at least 1+ yr after release with a MAJOR discount to put up with this garbage. I'll be going back to Final Cut 7 and Color for now..
I'm having the same problem. Speedgrade fails to recognize any clips, either when exported from Premiere CS6 to Speedgrade or when exported as an EDL. My timeline simply says "Reel Not Loaded" for every clip. "Load from Desktop" does nothing, even after navigating to the folder where I know my source files live. I have changed all my clip names in my Premiere bins to organize them, so I suspect that Speedgrade is using the re-named monikers rather than the original file names; hence why it can't link things together.
Is there any way around this or any bug fix? If I have to go back and manually rename clips in my bins to their original file names, I'm just going to use Magic Bullet Looks and bypass Speedgrade altogether...which would be really sad. This looks like a neat program. Help please!
Its a really frustration issue but I've managed to get one of my colleague to write up a script that does the conversion.
You can find it here:
The first box need to be populated by all the file names of your RAW files. (on a mac you can select all the files and copy then paste to a spreadsheet, not sure how you can do this on windows)
second box is a copy of your EDL (transitions can break it)
Third box will have the fixed EDL (all the lines that couldn't be processed will have a string attached which indicate its not been processed. Normally the offending items are transitions. I just manually updated these edit points)
I haven'y written up an extensive instructions for it yet, but if you follow the above it should work.
I have changed all my clip names in my Premiere bins to organize them, so I suspect that Speedgrade is using the re-named monikers rather than the original file names; hence why it can't link things together.
PR writes the EDL based on the re-named clip names. Since the original file names are different now SG can't reconnect.
If you rename clips in PR you have to manually re-link in SpeedGrade afterwards. This can be done with drag&drop (browse to clip in browser and drag&drop on clip or reel thumbnail)
Thanks Dennis, I managed to figure this out which is why I've had to create that script.
The clip names are superfluous and its a bit surprising that PR doesn't give you the option to choose 'file name' as the output when generating the EDL. Manually re-linking a 30 minutes fiction can take a very long time.
Of course manually re-linking isn't an optimal solution. I'd recommend not to rename clips in PR if an EDL workflow is required.
Thanks you very much for posting that script. That was very kind of you to post a resource like that!
I will certainly give it a try.
You're right, renaming clips in PR isn't the way to go if using an EDL workflow. Using the 'Description' panel in the 'Project' section is the way to go when naming or describing clips. It just really sucks to have to find that out the hard way after it's already too late. I went back and renamed my clips to their original file names manually, and things are working well now. It'd just be great if the option to output the original file names was available from the get go. Oh well, live and learn!