6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2012 6:42 AM by rob day

Different colour prints in indesign

naptype37

Basically, when ever i print from indesign since i updated to cs6, the cmyk colour values have gone off, if i export the pages as jpegs and print from preview i get a much richer cyan, then i would if i printed from indesign, illustrator, photoshop etc. the cyan tends to look more of a dark turquoise, this only happends in the adobe suite. im working from the standard document cmyk setting.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

• 1. Re: Different colour prints in indesign
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Adobe programs are color managed. Is your monitor calibrated and profiled so you know that what you see is being properly displayed, and is your printer likewise calibrated and profiled so you know the output matches the color numbers being fed into it?

Without those first steps there is no way to reliably match color between the screen and print, or even know if either one is accurately representing your art.

• 2. Re: Different colour prints in indesign
            naptype37 Level 1

i am only printing out a 100% cyan square in my indesign page and the and i know that its not 100% but its not even close, ive printed from the printed on other programs and it turns out fine, im not entirely sure if indesign is calibrated for my for printer how would i go about making sure that the output matches the colour numbers being fed into it?

• 3. Re: Different colour prints in indesign

Is this a postscript printer?

Have you used a magnifier to look at the print to see if other inks are bing used besides Cyan?

Since I can't see your screen or your prints and have no calibrated output to compare I have no idea what is really accurate. It's entirely possible that your other programs are sending RGB data to an RGB printer and it's printing the numbers as-is and the results are acceptable.

As I mentioned, Indesign is color managed, and it uses working color spaces and destination color spaces (and hopefully a profiled monitor) to assure that the colors are accurately displayed on your screen and accurately translated to preserve their appearance on your printer to the extent possible. In order to work with color management you need to make the investment in time to try to learn how it works (Real World Color Management is a excellent book) and you also need to do the calibration and profiling of your equipment, which means paying someone to come in and do it for you, or purchase and learn to use your own equipment. Colorimeters for calibrating and profiling monitors are realively inexpensive, but they don't do printers. The ColorMunki is a spectrophotometer, which can do both transmissive (monitor) and reflective (print) measurements and packages for that start between $400 and $500 I think.

Without profiling, the best you can do is trial and error.

• 4. Re: Different colour prints in indesign
                naptype37 Level 1

Its a HP laserjet CP5225 cmyk lazerjet printer and is a postscript printer, and ive checked the seperations on indesign and it is 100% cyan on a cmyk document but is still printing strange, i am aware that there will be some printing discrepancies, but for a cmyk printer not to print cyan correctly or anywhere close is strange, specially when using other softwear programs when using photoshop it prints out fine, its only when i use indesign or illustrator that it doesnt print how it should

• 5. Re: Different colour prints in indesign

A couple of things. First, it uses HP emulation for postscript, rather than true postscript, so that may have an effect on color. Second, are you using the postscript driver?

Also, is color management enabled in the printer? Is ID also managing the colors during print? One or the other, but not both.

Did you check with a magnifier?

• 6. Re: Different colour prints in indesign
                    rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

but for a cmyk printer not to print cyan correctly or anywhere close is strange

Even color printers with postscript drivers rarely print a document's CMYK output numbers unchanged. I use a postscript RIP that can, but doesn't by default.

Are the print driver features matched up between PS and ID—the  settings you can choose via Print>Printer... in ID and Print>Print Settings... in PS? They are specific to the printer and are usually complex:

InDesignScreenSnapz001.png