• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Passing variables via URL to modify WebHelp content

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2012 Aug 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I generate WebHelp for a product that is released under two different names. That is same product & functionality but different branding.

Instead of generating two separate versions of the help for each product, my boss would like to release one version of the help and have the applications update the product name.

The idea is to insert variable code for the product name and then change it on the fly by "passing a variable" via URL when a topic is called by the application - which is web-based.

Is this possible with WebHelp?

I'm not sure this is doable, but wanted to see if anyone here has seen something like this done.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm afraid I don't see how you could do that. Even when you are able to make it work on a single page, I don't see how you would make it work when you switch pages or use CSH. And we're not talking about the TOC, Index etcetra yet.

I think that two outputs is the way to go. And it shouldn't be hard for the developer to use a different URL for calling the help depending on the branding of your application.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was thinking the same thing regarding the TOC and the Index, in addition to some other things.

Thanks for the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not use RoboHelp's variables and create two outputs and let the developer's call the required version?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp