6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2012 4:17 PM by erselking RSS

How can I unlock image dimensions

erselking Community Member

Somehow my pixel dimensions and document dimensions have become locked and when I try to crop an image the cropped dimensions remain in the same proportions of width to height as the original. There are little symbols and brackets to the right of both pixels and inches.  I don't know how to remove these.  I am using an antiquated version of Photoshop Elements  -  version 2.0 on a Mac running 10.4.11. 

2012-08-17 05.30.13 pm.jpg

• 1. Re: How can I unlock image dimensions
          conroy Community Member

"Image Size" never crops an image. It can be used to either scale uniformly, stretch, or simply change the Resolution (ppi) tag of the document without changing any pixels.

When Constrain Proportions is enabled, as it is in your image, the chain link icons appear, and the image will be scaled uniformly (i.e. it will keep the same proportions).

Clear the Constrain Proportions box to be able to stretch the image.

To actually crop, i.e. remove top/bottom/left/right part of the image use the Crop Tool.

• 2. Re: How can I unlock image dimensions
            John Waller MVP

erselking wrote:

There are little symbols and brackets to the right of both pixels and inches.  I don't know how to remove these.

Uncheck the box marked "Constrain Proportions"

But you're in the wrong dialogue box for cropping.

Use the Crop tool instead.

• 3. Re: How can I unlock image dimensions

Oh, I understand that image size doesn't crop.  I know to use the crop tool.  My point is that these chain symbols have not always been there even with Constrain Proportions checked. And even though I uncheck Constrain Proportions when I use the crop tool the original proportions of width to height still remain.  In the past when cropping I could drag, say, the left side of an image and make the cropped image wider towards the left.  With these chain symbols in place I can no logner do that. Yes, unchecking Constrain Proportions makes the symbols disappear but my cropping problem remains.

• 4. Re: How can I unlock image dimensions
                Noel Carboni Community Member

As best I recall, your Crop Tool has its own little boxes for sizes at the top in the options area when you're using it.  Clear THOSE (there's even a [Clear] button) to get rid of the aspect ratio lock there.

-Noel

• 5. Re: How can I unlock image dimensions
                  conroy Community Member

erselking wrote:

... Yes, unchecking Constrain Proportions makes the symbols disappear but my cropping problem remains....

That Image Size dialogue you showed has nothing to do with cropping.

You must be using a fixed proportion in the Crop Tool instead of unconstrained. I think Noel's advice will be the solution.

• 6. Re: How can I unlock image dimensions

Yes, Noel, that seemed to do the trick.  Perhaps that "clear" button had been clicked on by mistake.  I guess I was wrong about the problem being centered around the chain symbols.  Sorry, John and conroy2009.  It appears I mislead you.