6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2012 4:52 AM by rex4me RSS

fonts missing in package folder

rex4me

When I open an InDesign document in Bridge, I see the list of fonts used. When I package the file in InDesign, and look in the fonts folder, some of the fonts are missing (although there were no problems with the fonts in the package report). Why are they missing in the fonts folder created by packaging?

• 1. Re: fonts missing in package folder
          Steve Werner CommunityMVP

Which InDesign version? Are you updated to the latest version? What platform? Does this happen only with certain fonts? On every packaging project?

• 2. Re: fonts missing in package folder
            rex4me Community Member

I'm using InDesign CS6, windows. I've just upgraded from PageMaker 6.5 which used to do the same thing. This is my first InDesign project, so I don't know if it will happen with all projects. This project uses 19 different fonts (lots of advertisements with different fonts used). About 4 or 5 fonts did not appear in the fonts folder when packaged. Yet, when I opened the packaged file on another computer, there were no missing fonts and all appeared well. Is there a place where I can click on a font and see where in the document it is used?

• 3. Re: fonts missing in package folder
              [Jongware] CommunityMVP

Use Find Font in the Type menu to find which fonts are used where.

• 4. Re: fonts missing in package folder
                rex4me Community Member

Okay, now we are getting somewhere! When I view "find font" from the TYPE menu, then only the fonts that were packaged into my font folder are listed. That would explain why I could open the file on the other computer and not have any missing fonts. The only remaining question is: Why are those extra 5 fonts listed in BRIDGE when I click on the InDesign file?

• 5. Re: fonts missing in package folder
                  Dov Isaacs Employee Hosts

One very likely possibility is that the missing fonts are fonts that are already embedded in EPS or PDF files that you have placed in your InDesign document. Such fonts are typically listed in the instructions.txt file produced during the packaging operation but don't appear in the fonts subdirectory. Such fonts appear in the font list as having status: embedded.

- Dov

• 6. Re: fonts missing in package folder
                    rex4me Community Member

No, sorry, I have no imbedded fonts according to the instructions.txt file. I also have no PDF or EPS files in the document. I have TIFF files with text, but since they are bitmap, I dont' think their fonts could be detected. Could they? The fonts listed in instructions.txt are the same ones that are packaged in the fonts folder. The only discrepancy is when I open the InDesign file in Bridge. There I see 4 fonts that are not packaged. I guess I'll just ignore them. I'm not familiar with Bridge, since I just upgraded from PageMaker 6.5.