7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2012 5:19 PM by lasvideo

Long render times in Premiere CS6

MikeWeber1

Hello everyone.

I am exporting my first ever Premiere show. It is a 82 min. long program, HDV 1080i. Everything is rendered - the entire timeline is green. It took well over 2 hours to render, which seems excessive to me, though I did have filters on almost everything.

In the Export Settings window, both "Match Sequence Settings" and "Use Previews" boxes are checked. I expected that since I already rendered everything, this would mean that the export would go very quickly, as the entire show was essentially rendered already. But, it is halfway done, and already taken 20 min., so looks like 40 min. for the whole thing. Am I doing something wrong? Can I do anything to speed things up? When exporting a similar "pre-rendered" show from Final Cut 7 on this computer, it would take just a few minutes.

My specs: I am on a Mac Pro, 2x3 GHz Quad Core, 8G of RAM. I do have a newer Mac with a faster processor & more RAM, which I am going to experiment with the same project later on. But I still think this is awfully slow on the current computer, at least compared to the performance I got with Final Cut 7.

Thanks much

Mike Weber

UCTV

http://www.uctv.tv

• 1. Re: Long render times in Premiere CS6
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How many hard drives, and how are they configured?

My 3 hard drives for video editing are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and ALL program installs (2)

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 paging swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folders and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (1)

(1) for faster input/output if you have 4 drives

- use drive 3 for all source files

- use drive 4 for all output files

(2) only 60Gig used, for Win7 & CS5 MC & MS Office & other smaller programs

• 2. Re: Long render times in Premiere CS6
            Jim_Simon Level 8

looks like 40 min. for the whole thing. Am I doing something wrong?

No, it looks to be working fine.  To speed things up, you just need a faster machine.

• 3. Re: Long render times in Premiere CS6
              MikeWeber1 Level 1

Hello John

The CS6 apps are running on the main Mac SATA drive.  All of my media, renders, etc. are on a 3TB RAID.  I did an AJA system check and the RAID is performing fine, so I don't think that's an issue.

thanks

Mike

• 4. Re: Long render times in Premiere CS6
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

If you had a PC I would suggest that you compare your PC with others using Premiere Pro CS6. Take the test at http://www.ppbm5.com and see how you stack up. You might be able to detect any possible bottlenecks from your CPU, GPU, memory or disks.

When comparing your scores, only compare to other CS6 tests. Apparently 5.5 was a bit faster at some things.

I see that I have been knocked down to #3 for CS6 - by three seconds. I think I could reconfigure my drives a bit to match his by using my extra SSD for projects, but I prefer to keep it the way it is as a true hot spare. For now at least.  I don't really know how he got better scores in some of the other categories. I don't think I actually care that much at this point either.

The point I am trying to make though, is that I can see where someone with almost identical specs has arranged things a tiny bit better than I have, as far as speed is concerned. He beats me by 3 seconds, but he bettered me by only one second in two categories, two seconds in another, and I gained a second on him in another.

These results basically tell me to leave well enough alone.

However, if I had seen a 5 second loss on drives, for example, or on RAM, then I would have something solid to consider upgrading.

Take a look at the difference between my #3 (remember to only look at CS6 by checking CS6 in the Version tab) and PCx79 who is 11 seconds slower on the weighted total (so the actual numbers do not add up). One second in the disk i/o so that isn't really a factor. MPEG one second. Nothing there.

H.264 BR is a factor. He lost seven seconds. That is the CPU and probably just reflects the fact that I allowed Eric to overclock my system to 4.5 since we have the same CPU but his is clocked to 3.9. Which demonstrates a LOT of trust on my part because I don't really "get" overclocking but I have decided to trust Eric.

MPE Off was a big difference too. I don't understand this one because he has a slightly better graphics card. It must be more of the overclocking? I don't know.

So, it is fairly easy to spot the advantages of the overclocking of his 3.9 to my 4.5 I think.

Take a look at your scores. If they fall into line with other people who have similar equipment, be happy that you seem to have configured your system correctly. On the other hand, if you see a problem you can't really explain, look there. That is your starting point. Or, perhaps you just give the slow PC to a needy relative and splurge on something new for yourself.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that PPBM5 works for a Mac. Yet. Volunteer to be a beta tester.

• 5. Re: Long render times in Premiere CS6
                  ExactImage Level 3

I've found that just because the sequence is all rendered and is 'green' doesn't mean any faster export.  Others have been seeing this too.

For me, the 'use previews' rarely improves anything I do.   So I also rarely render the sequence and just let it export.  Some of my exports have been 14-18 hours (when using lots of Neat Video and Colorista II) while others have been fairly quick (30-40 mins).

I also don't see much difference between my 8 Core Mac Pro (3,1) and windows 7 running an i7 with a faster CPU (oc).  Most of the difference is actually whether I have CUDA enabled or not.

• 6. Re: Long render times in Premiere CS6
                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Use Previews really helps with DV when exporting to DV, because the previews are DV.

• 7. Re: Long render times in Premiere CS6
                      lasvideo Level 4

You can change the Previews to match what your desired Export format / codec is and save a little time that way as well.