10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2012 3:00 PM by the_wine_snob

Seeking broad guidance on home video scheme

Chris Bentley FL

Hello,

I'm interested in resources anyone can point to that provides  guidance  on designing a home-video set up.

For example, after many years and many tweaks, I've found a flow that works very well for my photos; folder structure, naming convention, face tags, content tags, etc.  It has taken a while, but my photos are now stored in a way that I can access them intuitively based on what I'm looking for....

I'm still a bit lost when it comes to the best set-up for videos.  I know there are MANY factors, and no solution works for everyone.  I'd be interested to hear how other folks have arranged their 'archiving scheme' to store and allow intuitive access to their home videos.  I'm sure there are many factors I haven't even considered and tips I would never think of....  looking forward to some wisdom from the community.

Though I'm most interested in just learning how other folks have designed their systems, here's a brief snapshot of where I am, and hope to go:

Context: basic every day family home videos / memories

Source: raw unedited video from past 12 years or so, in several formats (still on 8mm needing to be captured, .mod files, 720 mp4 files,)

Goal is to

Choose output format (I realize there's no single good answer). I am flexible on space/quality tradeoffs.

I'm thinking I want to avoid DVDs: access from PC and from Apple TV device (jailbroken, will accept pretty much any video format).

Considering no DVDs, would love tips on meaningful folder/naming structure, etc. to make accessing videos intuitive based on context of an event (do you put that week vacation in one 40min video file, or is there elegant way to arrange multiple files.. etc)

Again, I know there are no perfect answers - but would love advice and thoughts from the group. 

Thanks All,  Chris.

• 2. Re: Seeking broad guidance on home video scheme
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It also might help if you got more specific on your needs. As you yourself have said, there's no one-size-fits-all solution.

What model of camcorder is your video coming from? When you archive your video, are you archiving it for use in future projects? If so, is it standard DV or hi-def?

720p MP4s are a strange format for old, archived video. Unless you've been shooting video on your iPhone since before iPhones were invented. what is your original source format for your videos?

As for output, how do you plan to display your video? On a TV? Online? On a home computer? On a portable device like a smartphone or iPod?

How do you plan to deliver the video to your Apple TV? Via wireless from your laptop? Over the internet? Over a home network?

• 3. Re: Seeking broad guidance on home video scheme
            Chris Bentley FL Level 1

Hello Steve and all, Thanks very much for your help with my post.

I think the most straightforward way for me to ask would be this:

Similar to retiring the CD player in favor of digital music players, I would like to avoid using DVDs to store/access home video, in favor of hard-disk storage, and accessing the videos directly on the PC and other digital devices on my home network (specifics below)

The immediate drawback I can see to this is losing the 'chapter' or 'scene' functionality of a DVD.  If I have a 60min video of a birthday party, it would be simple to set the DVD up with chapters to easily navigate to the scenes I want.

Any thoughts on ways to mimic this functionality when setting up a HDD based storage/access scheme ?

Below are answers to your specific questions.  Thanks again for your input !!

Camcorder models (I have video from several sources over dozen years.  So, some is old, some is newer)

1. Hi8mm - still on tape (have not captured it yet)

2. JVC Everio .mod files

3. Kodak playsport zx5.

Archiving for future projects? 

My goal is to go through all the video, cut out the 'junk' and produce final cut videos, typically based on the event.

Example: Take all 54 .mod files from a birthday party and make a single video for the event. Or, perhaps down to a couple of files to mimic the functionality of chapters on a DVD ?.....  open to thoughts from those who've been down that road.

The bulk of video from over the years is either still analog, or .mod files standard def..  Moving forwad, all new video is Hi Def. Currently 720 mp4.

So, I will likely have final video in low and hi def ??

720 mp4s are from the Kodak PlaySport I've had for a short time.

How do I plan to display video?

1. Hoping to avoid DVDs altogether in favor of hard drive based system. Storage will be on desktop system in 'office' room of house.

2. Primary viewing on living room tv via Apple TV2 (specifics below).

3. Secondary viewing directly on storage / multimedia PC in 'office' room of house.

4.Would like to be able to access from iPad / iPhone around the house. Not necessary to be able to view remotely.

Videos would be delivered to Apple TV2 over wireless home network, direclty from a 'multimedia' pc.  The PC is wired into router, Apple TV is wireless.  It seems to perform well at streaming HD video from PC over wireless network.

Thanks again for your kind help !!  

Chris.

• 4. Re: Seeking broad guidance on home video scheme
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Chris,

One way to handle the DVD-like navigation, but not on a physical DVD would be by creating an ISO (DVD Image file), and storing those on an external HDD, or HDD that can be accessed by your media center. However, there are some considerations:

1. PrE cannot directly create an ISO, but can Burn to Folder, and then one can use a utility, such as the great, free ImgBurn, to convert that VIDEO_TS folder, and its files, to an ISO. Think of the ISO as a ZIP archive file.
              2. Not all DVD software players can directly play an ISO, but some popular ones can. I like MediaPlayer Classic HC, which is free.
              3. One would have to test, whether their media center can handle a DVD ISO. I have no experience with this, but others can probably help you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Seeking broad guidance on home video scheme
                Ed.Macke Level 3

I use the "Burn to Folder" functionality all the time, and I am able to just go into the VIDEO_TS folder and double click the main file (which I forget the name of, of course, since I'm not in front of the computer now - but I think it's one of the .IFO or .BUP files???).

I know the VLC media player can do this, and will display and handle the main menu, scenes, chapters, etc. just like a real DVD player. Windows Media Player might, too.

So I don't think you have to convert to an ISO, although doing so may offer other advantages?

• 6. Re: Seeking broad guidance on home video scheme
                  Chris Bentley FL Level 1

Excellent - thanks Bill

• 7. Re: Seeking broad guidance on home video scheme
                    Chris Bentley FL Level 1

Thanks Ed - very helpful !

• 8. Re: Seeking broad guidance on home video scheme
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

Provided that the OP's devices can play the VIDEO_TS folder's files, the only drawback to Burning to Folder and leaving things in the VIDEO_TS folder is that those ALL have the same name, "VIDEO_TS." One workaround to this is to just create a Project root folder, say [Project_Name], under which one would place the VIDEO_TS folder for that Project. Easy to handle, if one knows about the naming convention of a DVD burned to folder.

The ISO can be named, pretty much as desired, but that really only saves one folder level to do the same thing.

Now, I do not know how much navigation the OP can do with their media center. It might be easy, or they might have to address other considerations. It will depend on the exact media center software.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Seeking broad guidance on home video scheme
                        Ed.Macke Level 3

That's a good point. Whatever would work better for the OP

My folder structure, with just using the PRE "Burn To Folder", ends up being something like:

\Videos\DVD Image\Home Movies\DVD 1\VIDEO_TS

\Videos\DVD Image\Home Movies\DVD 2\VIDEO_TS

\Videos\DVD Image\Special Projects\Book Report\VIDEO_TS

And what you're saying is that the ISO approach would have an extra step to convert VIDEO_TS to ISO but would result in a simpler structure like this:

\Videos\DVD Image\Home Movies 1 DVD.iso

\Videos\DVD Image\Home Movies 2 DVD.iso

\Videos\DVD Image\Book Report.iso

One other thing to mention is that either the VIDEO_TS or ISO approach has the added benefit that if you ever DID want to burn a physical DVD (say, for a friend or something) you could just fire up ImgBurn and point it to the folder/file and voila!

Now, I don't know what impact any of this would have on wireless video streaming to an Apple TV. I have no experience in that, either.

• 10. Re: Seeking broad guidance on home video scheme
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

That is correct.

I just wanted to point out the folder naming convention for the OP, so that they did not overwrite anything. Your folder hierarchy is exactly how I would do it.

Hunt