4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2008 4:11 AM by Newsgroup_User

when director file run thentrun Off windows firewalls

farhanakhan Level 1
      Hi,
      How are you all of there after a long time I back again here.
      so guys help me.

I design the application in director.
      I want when my application run then it will turn OFF the windows firewall if firewall ON.

Thanks
      Regards
      Farhana khan
        • 1. Re: when director file run thentrun Off windows firewalls
          Level 7
          farhanakhan wrote:
          > I want when my application run then it will turn OFF the windows
          > firewall if firewall ON.

Why? If I ran a program and it did that then I would never use software from
          that source again.

Andrew

• 2. Re: when director file run thentrun Off windows firewalls
            farhanakhan Level 1
            Hi,

>>Why? If I ran a program and it did that then I would never use software from that source again.Andrew

Thanks for the reply

I want to turn OFF the window Firewalls because when my director application run then it will access the internet for the registration.
            So, when window firewalls ON then my application will not access the internet.

Thanks
            • 3. Re: when director file run thentrun Off windows firewalls
              Level 7
              farhanakhan wrote:
              > I want to turn OFF the window Firewalls because when my director
              > application run then it will access the internet for the registration.
              > So, when window firewalls ON then my application will not access the
              > internet.

Have you actually tried it?

In short, I don't think this is actually an issue.

Windows' firewall only blocks incoming connection attempts, unless they've
              changed it in Vista. It would be a very bad idea to disable the firewall as
              a computer can be compromised within 30 seconds. And if a firewall prompt
              does pop up, then the user will see a clear connection between running your
              program and the firewall prompt.

Of course, the user might have a different firewall installed, or a
              completely separate device acting as a firewall.

Andrew

• 4. Re: when director file run thentrun Off windows   firewalls
                Level 7
                That is an absolutely terrible idea. For the sake of your reputation,
                don't do that. You as developer have NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to mess with
                the security settings on other peoples computers.

You can do a simple test to see if the internet access is blocked, like
                trying to access a website and getting an error returned. If there is
                no internet access, pop up an alert to the user saying that there is a
                problem accessing the internet, and they may need to adjust their
                firewall settings.

Viruses and spyware try to adjust security settings without the user's
                knowledge. If you're program acts like a virus, then you will be
                treated as a virus writer.

Apart from the fact that your quest is bound to fail, since loads of
                people use 3rd party firewalls in addition to or instead of the Windows
                firewall. You would have a very hard time trying to get around all the
                different firewall programs in the world.