6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2012 3:22 PM by David W. Goodrich

kerning pair in a character style?

strudelmedia

Greetings,

I'm using CS6 in OS10.7....

I've been trying to figure out how to making a kerning pair a character style, but it's not working at all. I've seen things that say that if you set the kerning between two characters, then highlight the first one and create a new character style that that is supposed to work. But nothing happens for me when I try that.

Is there any way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: kerning pair in a character style?
          Scott Falkner Level 5

Nope. Kerning is an attribute of the gap between characters. You can chnge the tracking on selected text and make that a character style, but it would only be helpful for the specific pair of characters selected.

• 2. Re: kerning pair in a character style?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

In line with what Scott is saying, you can create a GREP style to match a particular pair you think is not properly kerned and adjust the tracking by applying a character style whose only attribute is the chosen tracking value. This will affect the pair wherever it appears in the document and has the paragraph style applied that contains the GREP style, and it will be applied automatically without further intervention.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: kerning pair in a character style?
              strudelmedia Level 1

Thanks for the info on this!

A couple of notes: for the tracking change to work, it looks like I only apply to the character style to the first character; if I apply to both characters, it also affects the following character.

I actually don't know a thing about GREP styles — barely heard of them. Can you point me towards some basic info about that? What are they?

Again, thanks for the replies!

• 4. Re: kerning pair in a character style?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

GREP is a pattern recognition technique. It stands for General Regualr Expression Parsing, or something of the sort, and it's a very sophisitcated way of finding particular text. A regular text-based search looking for the letter "a" for example cannot discriminate if the match is in cat, bat or armadillo. GREP expressions can be written to match any single one of those, only the first two, or [retty much any other pattern you can define.

A grep style is a method for doing a GERP search in the text and applying a character style wherever a match is found. It operates in a similar way to a nested style, but application of the charcter style is triggered by a pattern match rather than a position or trigger character in the paragraph.

I beleive the Help files should give you some basics, and Peter Kahrel has published an ebook availble from O'Reilly for about $10 that does a very good job of teacing the syntax and basices of contructing GREP expressions.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: kerning pair in a character style?
                  strudelmedia Level 1

Thanks for the tips! I appreciate it!

• 6. Re: kerning pair in a character style?
                    David W. Goodrich Level 3

To get an idea of the things you can do with javascript you might want to look at Peter Kahrel's script to adjust kerning.  Back in the preceding century, when fonts came in Postscript format with separate metrics files, anyone so inclined could customize those files with a simple text editor; of course, this couldn't work between the italic and roman instances of a given typeface, but Peter's script can.