11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2012 12:54 PM by frameexpert

Query name property of checkboxes

frameexpert Level 4

I have a series of checkboxes on a dialog box. I want to loop through the controls and for each checkbox, get the name of the checkbox. I can do the loop portion, but can I query the name property of a control? It seems that the name property returns undefined, even if I had set it when I created the control. Thanks in advance.

Rick Quatro

• 1. Re: Query name property of checkboxes
          Muppet Mark Level 5

You may need to post your code…? I see no name properties for any scriptUI controls…

• 2. Re: Query name property of checkboxes
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Rick, you probably had set a .name property and didn't get an error -- a Javascript oddity. It's usually perfectly valid to do so but because checkboxes are stored internally, custom properties do not get saved.

Perhaps you want to explain why you need a "name". Are your checkboxes not saved in common variables on creation?

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Query name property of checkboxes
              frameexpert Level 4

My dialog box has 28 checkboxes on it, so I was going to loop through them to pick up the value of each one when the dialog box is dismissed. I was going to use an array of objects, where the checkbox name would be the object's property and its value would be the object's value. I thought that since buttons could have a name property that checkboxes could as well. I am open for suggestions on a good algorithm to pick up and store each checkbox's value. Thank you very much.

Rick

• 4. Re: Query name property of checkboxes
                frameexpert Level 4

var myDialog = new Window("dialog","Form");
                var cbx = myDialog.add("checkbox",undefined,"Select Me",{name:"cbx"});
                myDialog.show();

alert(myDialog.findElement("cbx"));

alert(cbx.name);

Here is a small sample. When I add a checkbox, I can set the name (line 2). Line 4 shows that I can retrieve the control using the name property. However, given the checkbox object, I can't get its name (line 5); it returns "undefined". It seems strange that I can't get a control's name after I set it.

Rick

• 5. Re: Query name property of checkboxes
                  Peter Kahrel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Rick,

This:

defines a creation property, which is a special kind of property for ScriptUI internal business. You can't tinker with it. To create a custom property, set it separately:

cbx.label = 'cbx';

Like Jongware, I'm wondering why why you want to loop through labels to find checkboxes which are defined as variables. If you don't want to use variables and want to use labels to find checkboxes, you could do something like this:

var cbx = myDialog.add("checkbox {text: 'Select Me', label: 'cbx'}");

the do

for (var i = 0; myDialog.children.length; i++)

{

if (myDialog.children[i].label == 'cbx')

// . . .

}

Or maybe you could use the checkbox's text:

for (var i = 0; myDialog.children.length; i++)

{

if (myDialog.children[i].text == 'Select Me')

// . . .

}

and forget about custom properties altogether.

Peter

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Query name property of checkboxes
                    frameexpert Level 4

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the clarification on creation properties and for showing me how to use a custom property. My script is going to read an XML file to get information for the dialog's controls, so that they can be easily localized. I am also going to write the last state of the checkboxes to the XML file so they can be defaults the next time the script is run. I suppose I could just loop through the checkbox variables, but with so many checkboxes, I want to use a loop to create them as well. Adding a convenient name or label property and retrieving each control's values seems easier than looping through the variables and using a bunch of if statements. Once I get it sorted out, I will post my solution. Thanks again for the generous help.

Rick

• 7. Re: Query name property of checkboxes

I wrote

If you don't want to use variables and want to use labels to find checkboxes, you could do something like this:

var cbx = myDialog.add("checkbox {text: 'Select Me', label: 'cbx'}");

But that should have been

myDialog.add("checkbox {text: 'Select Me', label: 'cbx'}");

The whole point being, of course, that if you cycle through controls there's no need to declare them as variables.

Peter

• 8. Re: Query name property of checkboxes
                        CarlosCanto Adobe Community Professional & MVP

frameexpert wrote:

var myDialog = new Window("dialog","Form");
                        myDialog.show();

alert(myDialog.findElement("cbx"));

alert(cbx.name);

...I can't get its name (line 5); it returns "undefined". It seems strange that I can't get a control's name after I set it.

Rick

all ScriptUI objects have a "properties" Property, there's no usage sample in the Guide...to get the check's name use:

alert(cbx.properties.name);

• 9. Re: Query name property of checkboxes

That works only for creation properties. After all, you use "properties" to set creation properties in this (alternative) format:

var cbx = myDialog.add("checkbox {text: 'Select Me', label: 'xyz', properties: {name: 'cbx'}}");

This works: alert(cbx.properties.name);

This throws an error: alert(cbx.properties.text);

Peter

• 10. Re: Query name property of checkboxes
                            CarlosCanto Adobe Community Professional & MVP

correct, that's used to get creation properties only.

• 11. Re: Query name property of checkboxes
                              frameexpert Level 4

I wanted to follow up with some code so you can see why I wanted to use a "name" property for my checkboxes instead of storing a bunch of checkbox variables. I have a script and cfg (XML) file that should go in the same folder. When you run the script, it reads the XML file and populates the dialog box based on the content of the XML file. When you dismiss the dialog box, it updates the checkbox values in the XML file so that they can be used as defaults the next time the script is run. This will also facilitate localization, since the checkbox labels are also read from the XML file.

Note that I need to clean things up with functions and error checking, etc., but you should get the general idea. I am definitely interested in any feedback or suggestions. You can get the code here:

http://www.rickquatro.com/resources/DialogCode.zip

Thank you very much.

Rick