8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2012 9:43 PM by Steven L. Gotz

Rotate video on export

Paul van Dinther Level 1

I am working on a huge sequence frame that is 9720 pixels wide (9 x 1080) and 1920 pixel high. When exporting the video I export it in 9 pieces to 9 separate video files that are 1080 px wide and 1920 px high (portrait). These video files will be played back in sync on 1080p screens that are in portrait orientation. However to the media players the screens are still in landscape mode. Therefore I have to rotate each video 90 degrees but I want to do that without having to re-encode them

Initially I thought I could solve my problem by seting up my sequence rotated by 90 degrees (1920 px wide and 9720 px high). Harder to do work on the project this way but I could live with that. Unfortunately Adobe Premiere sequences can't be higher then 8192 px

Can anyone suggest how I should organise my project so that I can get the right output without having to do a separate rotation to my exported video files?

• 1. Re: Rotate video on export
          Jim_Simon Level 8

to the media players the screens are still in landscape mode.

This is something you change in the video drivers settings.  The OS has to understand the proper orientation first, and then the software will follow.

• 2. Re: Rotate video on export
            Paul van Dinther Level 1

I wish I could. The video is not played by a PC but a Brightsign HD1020 media player. Video rotation is not supported.

• 3. Re: Rotate video on export
              Paul van Dinther Level 1

I am still looking for a solution. It is great that you can specify which rectangle to render to output of the project frame but for art installations various angles of rotation are required. It can be done in two steps which is cumbersome and time consuming but the worst is that it means encoding the video twice. I don't want to lose quality.

• 4. Re: Rotate video on export
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I can only think that you will have to use something other than Brighton for playback.

• 5. Re: Rotate video on export
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

What hardware are you going to use to keep the 9 screens in sync, and why not use a graphics card with 9 outputs like the ones sold by Matrox?

It seems to me that taking your very large frame sequence into After Effects, you could put the sequence into a comp of the correct dimensions and rotate it so that you saw 1/9 of the video. You export, then in the next comp get the next 1/9 and continue until you had 9 videos. Titles will be a problem as might be some effects.

On the other hand, perhaps you could export your sequence as one video, (I think) then do the work in After Effects to export it nine times.

Although with the right graphics card, my guess would be that you would just play the one video and the card would split it up.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Rotate video on export
                    Paul van Dinther Level 1

Steven, you got me thinking straight. I have to try it but indeed, I can try to take the big sequence and place it rotated in another sequence.  Otherwise I will try aftereffects.

What 9 output card are you talking about?  Not an option for this project but maybe the next one.

• 7. Re: Rotate video on export
                      Paul van Dinther Level 1

Steven you put me on the right track. The answer is very simple. . I added a sequence to my project that has a standard 1080p size. Then I drop my super large 9720 x 1920 sequence into it, rotate it and adjust the y position to cut the piece that I want. Export is a breeze and the result is one less encoding step. I just ran it and it looks good.

Thanks a lot!  Still curious about the 9 port Matrox graphics card.

• 8. Re: Rotate video on export
                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Glad it worked out for you. I just checked and I don't think that Premiere Pro can export a dimension in excess of 4096 for some codecs, less for others. Some will go that big though. The only one I saw was Quicktime Animation, but then again, I stopped looking when I found one.

Edit:  As for the cards, I think 8 might be the top, but you could have more than one card. Maybe an 8 and a 2? I don't know anything more that what I saw in the PDF. But it might be worth your time to do some research. Google Video Wall Graphics and see what pops up.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/media/pdf/products/en_product_lineup_us_can_21B156D89593.pd f