8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2012 10:32 AM by halodog@

PE10 cutting out parts of audio after conforming

halodog@

I had an older version of Premiere Elements (3.0.2) running and tried to install it on a 64 bit Vista machine.  It was horrible, so I decided to try out the trial for the new version 10.  It loads and operates pretty smootly but for some reason when it conforms the audio it is cutting out certain sounds.  The example I have in particular deals with an over the air broadcast from my hauppauge TV card.  The card can automatically convert the video to an MPEG and it plays fine in the WM player or VLC, however if I load it up into PE10 to cut out commercials or edit, suddenly the audio sounds like something that would be coming out of a rear surround sound speaker and things like an olympic commentator's voice which usually is a primary part of the audio is completely missing.  If I play the clip in the pop-up it is fine but on the timeline or after rendering the sound is totally fouled.  Can anybody explain this?  I defintely can't purchase if this is an issue.

• 1. Re: PE10 cutting out parts of audio after conforming
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The Hauppage is the problem. The codecs it uses don't work well with Premiere Elements.

You can try doing your editing in Windows MovieMaker. It should do what you need to do.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PE10 cutting out parts of audio after conforming
            halodog@ Level 1

Windows movie maker?  Ugh...That program is junk and it only creates files in wmv.  I'm sad to hear that Premiere Elements doesn't work well with Hauppauge, especially since they are such a huge maker of TV tuner / capture cards.  If I had the card leave it as a .ts file instead of rendering it to an MPEG would that solve the audio problem?  I suppose I could use projectX to demux it and then put it into adobe, but I was just hoping something that costs me $99 would work better than freeware or even worse Microsoft.

• 3. Re: PE10 cutting out parts of audio after conforming
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements is designed for and works great with camcorder video. It's not a particularly good all-purposed editor. Sorry.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: PE10 cutting out parts of audio after conforming
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>hauppauge TV card

What editing software does hauppauge provide to work with their files?

• 5. Re: PE10 cutting out parts of audio after conforming
                  halodog@ Level 1

John,

They don't provide editing software with their cards, but as far as capture software they deal primarily with WinTV.  I am using version 7 right now.  I know that Mpeg capture has tranmission issues with it and audio and video often come across with dropped frames and sync errors.  Thus the whole demux process and repairing the individual streams.  ProjectX does an excellent job with that.  Previously though, when I ran Premiere 3.0.2 it seemed to handle the demux/repair issue itself when it imported the files.  That was in XP on a 32 bit system when it worked great.  However, in Vista-64 bit version 3.0.2 lags horribly and freezes, which is expected since 3.0 was launched before Vista really came into play (the 3.0.2 patch was supposed to add Vista support but not 64-bit).  I suspected and found that the newer versions are fully compatible with Vista/7 and was pleased to see the new 64-bit capability in version 10.  Unfortunately, if it doesn't handle TV tuner files very well... quite unfortunate.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I would imagine most home video editors would fit into one of a couple categories.  Either they are editing home movies from their video cams as Steve mentioned, or I would imagine there is also a large segment of people like me who also want to edit/compress their HDTV captures so we dont have to deal with commercials and to save hard drive space.  Of course thats for folks like me who dont have a HD-DVR on a sat/cable plan.  LOL, maybe we are more rare than I thought.

• 6. Re: PE10 cutting out parts of audio after conforming
                    halodog@ Level 1

Thanks for the info Steve.  I guess it is what it is.  I would hope though that adobe might consider more of us HDTV capture people in the future, like I mentioned in my response to John.  In the past I really liked Premeire so its kind of tough to see it not do quite what I needed this time around.  lol, I was really hoping it was just a quirk with my system or the trial software, but it doesn't appear to be.

• 7. Re: PE10 cutting out parts of audio after conforming
                      nealeh Level 5

halodog@ wrote:

I would imagine there is also a large segment of people like me who also want to edit/compress their HDTV captures so we dont have to deal with commercials and to save hard drive space.

I doubt that you will be able to retain the HD quality. Because of HDCP most devices down sample to analog for export via component or Scart connector. Having said that, Hauppauge sell the HD PVR, a device that claims to capture HD and will Make Blu-ray compatible AVCHD recordings using its supplied software (Arcsoft Total Media). Note though that it does not contain built-in disk storage so you have to provide your own disk drive.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: PE10 cutting out parts of audio after conforming
                        halodog@ Level 1

Neale,

Thanks for the information. I haven't heard about their HD PVR.  Right now I am just using the USB WinTV-HVR-950 adapter and unfortunately it didn't come with editing software, just the capture software.  It streams ATSC signal, so I am just capturing the over the air broadcast which comes across nicely in HD.  Of course with any kind of box from a sat/cable provider I totally understand that their is no HD capture without their propriatary HD-DVR's.  Lol, I used to work for a company that did MDU work for DirecTV and I saw all kind of setups trying to circumnavigate HDCP and having an appropriate HD-DVR.  None of them worked or captured the HD signal.  It usually meant me being called out for a service repair where I had to explain the whole thing to the customer and hook them back up correctly.  Anyhow, with my little TV tuner the .ts file it captures tends to have glitches like dropped frames, so thats why I have been using ProjectX to demux and repair it.  From there I can re-render it with video editing software but this new version of premiere tweaks the audio once you put it in the timeline.  Weird, since I can double-click the file in the program window and the audio is fine in the popup player.