3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2012 2:49 AM by ryclark

Questions about Audition features

yoongurimbaud

Hi, I'm new to Audition and have just tried to use it.

1. I tried to record something using soundcard(Audio interface) which support 24 bit A/D.

And I 've had question, how to check the recorded signal is 24 bit or not in Audition.

I found the sample values showed below, but when I opened other signal has different bit, the limit of showing sample values was same.. (2^23)

(If I opened 32 bit signal, then it must be 2^31 but it didn't)

11.jpg

2. I'd like to know there is feature that could adjust input gain level. As I know, I can adjust the output level in Multitrack View.

But I can not find how to adjust input level in Multitrack View.

I can adjust level after recording is finished, but I do not know how to adjust input level while I recording.

Please reply...

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Questions about Audition features
          ryclark Level 6

Audition's internal format is 32 floating point. Any 24 bit recording is contained within that.

Unfortunately you cannot control input levels within Audition. It is down to your audio interface to provide any level adjustment or the operating system's audio drivers if using internal soundcard.

• 2. Re: Questions about Audition features
            yoongurimbaud Level 1

Audition's internal format is 32 floating point. Any 24 bit recording is contained within that.

-> Thank you for your reply. I have question. I can not understand how 24 bit is matched to 32 bit.

You mean... If I record something using 24 bit A/D Soundcard then the signal is shifted 8 bit ?

And you said Audition's internal format is 32 floating point.

I'd like to know why the limit of sample values is -2^23 ~ 2^23 even though I use 32 bit signal.

(As I think, it sould be -2^31 ~ 2^31)

Please reply

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Questions about Audition features
              ryclark Level 6

Basically when you put a 24 bit signal into a 32 bit format the 24 bits fill the first 24 of the 32, the lowest 8 bits are 0's.

Here is a simplified version of why you only see sample values +/- 2^23.

" Audition works internally in what is actually 24-bit floating point. It's only called 32-bit because it is a 23-bit mantissa + sign bit + 8-bit exponent, which is effectively 24-bit. The reason for working like this is to retain the resolution when audio has any sort of amplitude-related operation carried out on it - which it can do over about a 1500dB range. If Audition worked in 24-bit integer mode, this range would be restricted to about 144dB."