7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2012 6:26 PM by josephs51576386

PP 5.5 - DNxHD Matched Sequence Settings exports washed out video

Nathan Chojnacki

Just want to make sure I'm not missing something. We shot on Scarlet, and after color we got back 1920x1080 DNxHD files.

Im concerned because after conforming, I'm using Match Sequence Settings to export from Premiere and my export video is washed out and different than the original.

Here's the original DNxHD video that I got from our colorist. (all i did was change the filename)

https://www.yousendit.com/download/TEhXNU1KTlF6RS9xYk1UQw

This is the file Premiere spit out after using Match Sequence Settings (a little shorter because original clip had handles)

https://www.yousendit.com/download/TEhXNU1KTlE0b0R2WnRVag

Sequence Settings below. It's also worth it to note that even though I'm choosing 1080p 23.976 DNxHD 175 10-bit and clicking okay, whenever I click configure again under "Video Previews", the dropdown list has defaulted back to 1080i 59.94 DNxHD 220 10-bit. weird. 709 vs. RGB is not making a difference for me.

http://i.imgur.com/Vl7F5.png

My Export settings, just for good measure. "Use Maximum Render Quality" isn't making a difference for me

http://i.imgur.com/KI15b.png

Side by Side comparison. You can really see the difference in the hair above her left eye. Original has a bit more contrast.

http://i.imgur.com/hZejP.jpg

I can get good looking exports using other codecs and settings, PhotoJPEG works pretty well, but I know in a lot of cases DNxHD is kind of a standard for finishing work, and up until now I've done mostly broadcast and I've never worked with this Avid codec before. This is our first project with this camera so I want to make sure I'm doing the post-color work correctly. Our colorist already kinda boned us by not haing a red rocket and basically forcing me to take this codec. I'm just wondering if there is some color management step or setting that I'm missing. I really need this export to match the original.

Thanks for all your help, hopefull i can learn something here

• 1. Re: PP 5.5 - DNxHD Matched Sequence Settings exports washed out video
          lasvideo Level 4

When exporting to your timeline to the DNxHD codec, you have a choice of 709 and RGB. Switch to RGB and see if your problem goes away.

Screen Shot 2012-08-20 at 1.56.27 PM.png

• 2. Re: PP 5.5 - DNxHD Matched Sequence Settings exports washed out video
            Nathan Chojnacki Level 1

At first I thought that option wasn't doing anything for me. I did another export and I am seeing that it brought back a little bit of that contrast, but still not quite the original. Again, I'm making this switch in the sequence settings and using the "Match Sequence Settings" checkbox when I export. I also did an export without checking this "Match Sequence Settings" box, I just plugged in all the option verbatium and it still gave me this same, washed out export.

Here' a screen grab of the 709 vs. RGB vs. Original footage. You can really see the differences in the shadow/hair to the lower left of her eye.

http://i.imgur.com/bMdUT.jpg

I know I'm being super nit-picky here. I appreciate all the help though.

Anyone have any thoughts on the DNxHD codec? Aside form this export issue it seems okay. The filesizes are big but they play back nicely.

• 3. Re: PP 5.5 - DNxHD Matched Sequence Settings exports washed out video
              Jim_Simon Level 8

You can't use a software player or a computer monitor to judge this kind of thing, especially QuickTime.  There are too many variables that can and do interfere with the display of the video signal.

You can only judge this type of thing on a properly calibrated external TV.  So give that a try and report back.

• 4. Re: PP 5.5 - DNxHD Matched Sequence Settings exports washed out video
                josephs51576386 Level 3

Have you tried comparing the footage from inside of Premiere? Put each of the before and afters over top of each other in Premiere itself and see if they look different.  Honestly I downloaded your test file and played them from inside premiere right side by side and didn't notice the problem that I see occuring in your pictures. However I did notice a bit of aspect change or something. But nothing related to color.Anyways just try placing them in premiere and comparing them both from inside Premiere.

If just simply placing the files inside Premiere doesn't fix the issue to begin with. Then attempt to change your preview file format in premiere to something besides Quicktime.

But honestly in the pics you posted I can see a clear difference however when I pull both of your files from rapidshare into Premiere Pro on my windows machine using the standard mpeg preview codec I see no color differences.

Like Jim said though Quicktime can't be trusted for color accuracy it has several known gamma issues.

• 5. Re: PP 5.5 - DNxHD Matched Sequence Settings exports washed out video
                  Nathan Chojnacki Level 1

that's a good thought, I'll give it a look inside premiere. I'll also pull my resources and see if I can get to a good i/o box and monitor. Thanks again everyone

• 6. Re: PP 5.5 - DNxHD Matched Sequence Settings exports washed out video
                    Nathan Chojnacki Level 1

Okay, as ComputerNovice suggested, I imported one of my many many DNxHD exports back into Premiere and I dont see any color difference either. I grabbed a still of the same file opened up in quicktime player right underneith and the difference is pretty noticable. So the verdict, as Jim mentioned, is that Quicktime is no good.

http://i.imgur.com/Fz4J5.jpg

Still haven't gotten to a good monitor yet but this answers a lot of my questions. I'm guessing this better playback within Premiere has somthing to do with the Mecury playback engine? From now on I'm just keeping our final steps "same a source" until it comes time to pick a good looking codec for specific situations. And I won't trust Quicktime Player...

thanks again anyone.

• 7. Re: PP 5.5 - DNxHD Matched Sequence Settings exports washed out video
                      josephs51576386 Level 3

I've always just assumed Premiere obviously displays it correctly even though Quicktime itself doesn't. Basically ever since I can remember when I have worked with anything Quicktime based if I watch things inside Quicktime it appears washed out, then if I view it inside Premiere it appears correctly, But then if I check it on a calibrated professional monitor it appears correctly. I have even had times when FCP users have given me quicktime files they created using Compressor and when I import them into Premiere Pro they appear correctly but yet if I open up that same exact file inside Quicktime it looks washed out.

I've always assumed apple just did a crappy job making Quicktime.

Glad to hear you got to the bottom of the issue though.