10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2012 12:31 PM by ivlenka

In Design CS5 crashes when wrapping text around

bideru

I haven't been using ID for some time but I've just written my master thesis and need to edit a few things before printing, so I need it fixed like.. ASAP. Please help!

I've had this problem for a couple of days and it started like that: I placed a photo and wrapped text around, then I needed to move the photo a bit and then... ID freezes. After a couple of ctrl+alt+del action I figured out it starts to work when I first turn wrapping off, then move the photo and then turn wrapping on. Funny thing it didn't happen to every photo, just some of them. But then I managed, and now I have a problem. I need to resize the text frame on every page, and despite turning off text wrapping ID crashes when I resize the text frame that has a photo above, but! they're not even the same photos as before! :/ Any ideas?

I'm using InDesign CS5, Windows 7 (64 bit), Intel Core i7-2630qm @ 2.00Ghz, 6 GB RAM

• 1. Re: In Design CS5 crashes when wrapping text around
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The first thing to try is trashing the prefs: Replace Your Preferences

The next is exporting the file to .idml: Remove minor corruption by exporting

• 2. Re: In Design CS5 crashes when wrapping text around
            bideru Level 1

Sadly, none of this solutions work, and I've tried them several times just to be sure :/ ID still freezes when moving photo with wrapped text or wrapping an unmoved photo :/

• 3. Re: In Design CS5 crashes when wrapping text around

OK.

Next thing is to create a new file the same page size as the original. Rename Master A to something you didn't use in the other file to avoid applying it during the next step, and go to the Paragraph Styles panel menu and choose Load Styles. In the load styles dialog choose the file that's giving you trouble, import all the styles, and be sure to use the incoming defintition for [Basic Paragraph].

In the problem doc, go to the pages panel, clcik the first page, hold Shift and click the last page to select them all, then fromthe panel mene choose Move Pages... and select the new file you just made, and insert them before page 1. In the new file delete the blank last page that was the old page one and save with a new name. Don't overwrite the old file.

If that doesn't work, we can try some more drastic stuff, but it would be good to know how many pages, individual stories, and images there are.

• 4. Re: In Design CS5 crashes when wrapping text around
                bideru Level 1

STILL no luck :/ There seem to be no pattern about which photos 'cause' the problem. However I discovered that when I encounter such a problem (freezing when moving a photo/text and even deleting photo/text) when I scroll down to lower pages (like next five or something) and move photos from those pages to the workspace I can move the photo from the problematic page. The same freezing thing was happening when I pushed "Enter" button several times to get text on next page like.. I don't know, too fast? (I now remember about hard page breaking, it just slipped my mind back then ). I somehow managed to finish the 57 pages version (47 images), now I need to make a version with smaller font - so I guess it'll be like 50 pages. And the whole process is just irritating. Hah, and now it's happening when I sipmly resize the text frame! (Plus with the last solution when I resized font size to smaller the whole text didn't 'jump up' to upper pages when I moved photos out, it just leaves a blank space under txt, is it supposed to happen...?)

Um.. what do You mean by 'individual stories'?

• 5. Re: In Design CS5 crashes when wrapping text around

Sounds like you might have some damaged text.

One thing that I've found effective is to export the stories to ID tagged text, then either place that in a new file or back into the same file. To export tagged text put the cursor in a story, but don't select anything, the go to File > Export... and choose InDesign Tagged Text from the dropdown. Doesn't matter if you pick verbose or abbreviated in the next dialog. The tagged text format preserves all of your styles and formatting, saving a lot of time. You need to do this for each threaded story you want to reproduce.

I've seen cases where the export fails due to the damage in the text. In those cases I've been successful in creating a new file, loading the styles from the old dicoument, then selecting the entire story inthe old file, copy, and paste into the new file. I export from there to tagged text.

• 6. Re: In Design CS5 crashes when wrapping text around
                    bideru Level 1

Soooo... You say that I can have a corrupted text despite the fact I've written everything using my hands and there was no 'copy/paste text' involved? That's like... odd O_o

I'm trying to use this method but I've stuck on the last step.

What shall I use to place/paste/import the exported text? Using a standard Notebook to open the *.txt file then coping and pasting it leaves me with sume ugly wierd coding instead of nicely formated text. //I'm sorry for just not understanding and thank you for patience

• 7. Re: In Design CS5 crashes when wrapping text around

No problem. You use File > Place... just like any other text file you would import.

• 8. Re: In Design CS5 crashes when wrapping text around
                        ivlenka

Oh!!!! the same problem!!!! we've tried all these methods - but no one works. I'm art-director of teen magazine in Moscow - it is very big problem for us  to deal with such troubles  - expecially during deadlines. Please - try to solve it  - we are so unhappy.....((( we can do nothing. the only thing - that sometimes works  - is to create a new text box & copy paste in it text from the damaged box. In that way it works some times......

• 9. Re: In Design CS5 crashes when wrapping text around

We're all just users here, and I've told you all the tricks I know...

• 10. Re: In Design CS5 crashes when wrapping text around
                            ivlenka Level 1

Oh - sorry for my fault!! if we find the solution - i'll post it immediatly. maybe we have to connect with adobe for help.....