4 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2014 1:11 PM by Chris Cox

Pencil tool - how to turn off anti-aliasing

TracyJoReith Level 1

How do I turn off anti-aliasing for the pencil tool in Photoshop CS6.

I want to draw a single pixel. I do not want to draw a shape or a line. I do not want additional low-opacity pixels on either side.

I set the pixel size to 1 and hardness to 100%. The pencil tool producess an anti-aliased line. I do not want this.

• 1. Re: Pencil tool - how to turn off anti-aliasing
          Haturnmay Level 1

Are you sure you're using the pencil tool? The pencil tool in my Photoshop is not anti-aliased, but it could be confused with the brush tool, which is anti-aliased.

• 2. Re: Pencil tool - how to turn off anti-aliasing
            Level 7

The pencil tool is never anti-aliased, that's the whole point of having that tool.

• 3. Re: Pencil tool - how to turn off anti-aliasing
              loonyhed Level 1

No, he's totally right, I've been having this problem too. Also, there appears to be a feature, probably created to prevent stray marks, which prevents the user from drawing an individual pixel, and another that will "correct" the shape of your lines after you finish them. These and other settings, like the scaling feature, make Flash very anti-pixel art. Flash is considered to be the elite program in making games using this sort of artwork, yet any user who wishes to use it for such must either run around the internet looking for a variety of often obscure solutions or be an actionscript expert. I, for one, feel that there should either be a much easier way to disable the many features that prevent you from creating graphics pixel by pixel or a pre-made set of settings that can be enabled that specifically accomodate pixel artists.

P.S. Is there any way to just turn off anti-aliasing entirely? Certain websites have suggested that there is, but I haven't been able to find any specifics on how to do this.

• 4. Re: Pencil tool - how to turn off anti-aliasing
                Level 7

Yes, we were correct that the pencil tool never has antialiasing - again, that's the whole point of the pencil tool and how it differs from the other paint tools in Photoshop.

No, nothing prevents you from drawing an individual pixel in Photoshop.

No, nothing "corrects" the shape of lines after you finish them. What you draw is what you get in Photoshop.

And then you mention Flash -- which has nothing to do with Photoshop (the subject of this forum and topic).