8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2012 10:11 AM by MystiMac

InDesign CS5.5 - templates

MystiMac Level 1

For long documents (i.e., books), I've typically used templates -- after setting up the template, I'll use it and do a save as, for each document, or chapter, in the indd book. What I would like to know is, if I've based documents on a template, and then change the template, will that change automatically be reflected in each document that's been based on the template? Boy, that would be a great time-saver.

• 1. Re: InDesign CS5.5 - templates
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

No.

When you work from a themplate waht youare really doing is opeing the template file as a copy so that no changes will accidentally be made to the template file (the only functional differnce between a .indd and a .indt file is the default opeing behavior, and you can convert one to the other by just changing the extension). There is no coneection between the copy and the original.

A lot of things can be synched via the Book feature, however, so it may be enough to make cahnges in one file and synchronize the entire book.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS5.5 - templates
            MystiMac Level 1

Thank you, Peter, for answer and for such a prompt reply. However, I'd be nervous to just use the book  synchronization feature/function without fully understanding what it would do.

• 3. Re: InDesign CS5.5 - templates
              MystiMac Level 1

Ahhh, wait, wait... I'm seeing now in Lynda.com that Mike Rankin has a video on synchronizing book documents, and he talks about how the styles can be synched for all the book, based on the style-source document. Thanks for tipping me off to be alert for that, Peter.

• 4. Re: InDesign CS5.5 - templates

You can pick and choose the things you want to synchronize, including styles (the most common choice), swatch defintitions, and master pages amont a longer list. Take a look at the Synchronize Options dialog from the Book panel menu.

• 5. Re: InDesign CS5.5 - templates
                  MystiMac Level 1

Yes, I got through the video by Rankin... VERY cool function!!

• 6. Re: InDesign CS5.5 - templates
                    MystiMac Level 1

One thing that doesn't appear, or at least isn't obvious, in the book panel menu/synchronize options dialog, is whether or not, when you adjust the layout in the master page (style source), say, from 6x9 to 5.5x8 page size (and it's for a book, with lots of documents within the book), will the synchronization include changing all the documents in that book from 6x9 to 5.5x8?

• 7. Re: InDesign CS5.5 - templates

If you synch the master pages agian after making a change like that the masters for all the docs should update, but I don't know that you'd see a change inthe sizes of the pages in the layouts (and I haven't had occasion to try this recently). With the introduction of the page tool and the ability to have multiple page sizes in a single document in CS5 what changes when has gotten a bit confusing.

• 8. Re: InDesign CS5.5 - templates
                        MystiMac Level 1

Thanks. I'll find out by trial and error, no doubt. Hopefully, the adobe team will see this dialogue between you and me and make it possible to adjust layout on master page and have it synch to other documents in a book.