11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2008 9:46 PM by GerKae

Director 12

Urban1977 Level 1
      Seems like we have missed that December launch of Director 11....

Can we just go straight to 12 or are we calling Director 12 Adobe Air?
        • 1. Re: Director 12
          Doc Raman Level 1
          The FAQ got updated a few times during 2007 and currently states it will be announced this month. Online sources now indicate that it will be announced at the GDC next week. So Director 11 will be here soon :)

As for 12, what additional features will you want?
          • 2. Re: Director 12
            Level 7
            We might as well start asking for Flash CS5 compatibility now.

"Doc Raman" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:fp4bkg$35d$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > The FAQ got updated a few times during 2007 and currently states it will
            > be
            > announced this month. Online sources now indicate that it will be
            > announced at
            > the GDC next week. So Director 11 will be here soon :)
            >
            > As for 12, what additional features will you want?
            >

• 3. Re: Director 12
              tunghoy Level 1
              quote:

As for 12, what additional features will you want?

Maybe this has been mentioned before, but how about the ability to use ActionScript (and the Flash DOM) instead of Lingo? It's hard enough keeping AS 2 and AS 3 in my head, so adding Lingo is a bit much. I know it's possible to use JavaScript with Director, but you don't get as much control.
              • 4. Re: Director 12
                LP-CEMEQ
                From the info I could get, the product already exist and is pre-orderable (in distributors databases) and supposed to start shipping Feb. 28th from Adobe.
                • 6. Re: Director 12
                  Level 7
                  LP-CEMEQ wrote:
                  > From the info I could get, the product already exist and is pre-orderable (in distributors databases) and supposed to start shipping Feb. 28th from Adobe.

Yep - check this out:

http://www.adobe.com/products/director/
                  • 7. Re: Director 12
                    GerKae
                    re Actionscript in Director

“If Lingo is striped down or downsized. It might mean I don't buy”

Been out of it for a few years now, just got burned out being the only D developer doing some hugh jobs, making millions for Chicago’s top marketing companies while I sweated 12 hour days. (never again for someone else!!!) I wanted to get back into it and I was ready to buy the master collection for $2500.00, tonight!!! 19, Feb 2008, if they would swap out After effects for D11, but no one at adobe (online chat) could make that happen for me, I told them I would buy it right now over the phone, still they couldn’t help.

Called their support line, got transferred to India or somewhere out of U.S. Nice to know they support American jobs, right?… Asked them about when D11 would be available and they read from the same old script… No further information is available on any new releases of Director MX 2004. Wait I said… They are taking pre-orders right now at adobe.com. Reply “Oh I see that now”

Nice release party for Director guys and girls.

Come on already, put it in a master collection and dump aftereffects it’s the same price, right? I might still buy on impulse.(Tip: That’s what marketers count on)

In the mean time I'll sweat out my impule to make an emotional "buy right now", "got to have it now!"and let everyone else test it first. If Lingo is striped down or downsized. It might mean I don't buy until I learn javascript… that seems to be the way Adobe is taking everything now-a-days. If you watch their whiteboard video for FLEX/FLASH shame... Mastered Lingo, and I'm not to excited about having to master javascript. but hea I'm still kinda young. =) Good luck and warm regards peeps. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.
                    • 8. Re: Director 12
                      tunghoy Level 1
                      Mold: I know what you mean about learning new programming languages. I learned JavaScript a long time ago, so ActionScript 2 was easy to pick up. But ActionScript 3 is a lot less like JavaScript and a lot more like Java, so I have to learn it all over again.

But at least ActionScript is similar to languages people already know. I used some Lingo when D5 and D6 came out and Lingo didn't resemble anything else (on this planet, anyway). So if Adobe can give us a choice of using Lingo or JS, why not give us the option to use AS, also? I'm not saying they should dump or downsize Lingo, just let us use knowledge we already have and give the hamster wheel a rest for a while.

quote:

Urban-Soc: Can we just go straight to 12 or are we calling Director 12 Adobe Air?

Would you call that vaporware???
                      • 9. Re: Director 12
                        GerKae Level 1
                        Tung, that doesn’t help! <quote>But ActionScript 3 is a lot less like JavaScript and a lot more like Java”</quote> So on top it… the JS I know might not even help me in the future? I want to be at the party speaking the right language to get into the VIP section also and I’d be happy to stand along side you Tung. Right now that hamster wheel seems more like the satellite phone system that connected me to India. You get a different country speaking a different language depending on where the satellite is... =) me.(copyright, 2008) Satellite control for software language selection and runtime environments.

Hopefully there is an engineer in the house that can tell us which language will be most valuable to learn for the future of Flash/Flex and Director, so we all can ponder or ruminate our futures. Maybe I just missed it being MIA for so long. Msg's welcome.

Enjoy yourselves... it's all about you! =)

• 10. Director 12
                          Brian Stew Level 2
                          Mold of Man:
                          1. I've never heard about any company offering 'make your pick' software bundles like you suggest. FYI the current CS3 bundles comes on 2 - 5 DVDs depending on your choice, so obviously there are several apps put together on each disc. There is no way you can take out just AE and replace it with Di. The packages are also sealed already. Although your 'concept' is perhaps a valid suggestion for the future, please don't make the jobs for the people at the bottom more difficult than needed. I don't consider this poor customer service. Granted, many years ago we had a bundle from Macromedia where indeed Director was the centerpiece, called the 'Shockwave studio'. It inluded a graphics program that was Fireworks' predecessor and a sound editing application. The current Creative suite Premium is an absolute bargain (even if it's a nice heap of cash anyway), and I see no good reason why complain that you can't remove one item. And why trade with After Effects? It's a great companion for Director, if you use any video inside Director at all (and quit a few does...). If the reason is that you don't know how to use it, it's time to take a course - it's an amazing app.

2. As for AS2 versus AS3... The latter is 'Java' while the former is 'Javascript', and despite the naming similarities, they are two TOTALLY different languages - because it's a totally different CONCEPT. Adobe suggest in the Flash documentation that you use AS3 for "application development", but stick with AS2 for traditional "multimedia development". It makes sense then that Di supports AS2, since you write the application in Director, don't you? It will be exciting to see which way this goes however. One could imagine a future where all of Adobe's 'heavy duty' application development environments used the same programming language. Currently my bet would be on something Java-derived like AS3. I'm pretty sure AS3 was introduced to attrackt more 'serious' programmers to the Flash environment to give it more wheight in corporate developemts (i.e. be the 'preferred technology' when competing aginst Microsoft especially, even in large corporate projects). At MAX there were several Java developers, and they were nodding their heads in the AS3 classes, which is kind of promising for Adobe I guess ... But on the other side AS3 is a long step away from the user friendliness of AS2 (relatively) and Lingo (definetly!). Personally I find AS3 sooo heavy... In the books it seems easy enough, but it's never so in practice. With Lingo it's the opposite. It's the most 'human' programming language ever, and as we know it's got very good performance still.

I am more curious as to what will happen to AIR versus Director. At the MAX conference I mentioned, I just had to grab one of the AIR evangalists and ask him "but Director has been able to do practically all of this - and so much more! - for many YEARS already. What's really "new" with AIR!?!???". Actually the guy was aware of this, but "Director was too fragmented" and blah - blah. But of course he's right too. Anyway, having multiple opportunities to do the same things is not bad in itself, as long as each development environment is treated fair.
                          But I don't see it as impossible that we will se "AIR v2 - now with real time 3D!" instead of Director 12. There are internal group fights going on in a large company like Adobe, resulting in "new strategies" that defys logic as seen from the outside, so one never knows.

I placed my order for the Di11 upgrade immediately yesterday. Thanks guys!
                          • 11. Re: Director 12
                            GerKae Level 1
                            My Bad… I was just being lazy to look into it.

But after looking at online AS3 samples, it looks very intuitive and easy coming from Lingo and seems very good for Di, I might even start using Flash now.

I like how you can set individual events for the stage instances. That must speed things up a bit rather then having each sprite automatically handles all the events by default like Di.does.It also seems like a lot of Di terminology is now in Flash. But the concept is great all I would need to learn is the functions, everything else seems right in line to how I coded with Lingo.

CS3 looks very promising… But now so does AIR… just checking that out now.

Thanks for the tips, the future looks very GOOD, I’ll still need Di now for what’s cooking in my head. Just hope Lingo is fully intact so I can blow though this thing. I’m so glad it supports the disability user standards and the native TTS, that exactly what I need.