10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2013 4:33 AM by PixelshotWDC2

How does one mark a clip on the timeline in CS6?

wfmc staffer Level 2

There doesn't seem to be a way. The shortcuts just add mark in points to the timeline.

• 1. Re: How does one mark a clip on the timeline in CS6?
          shooternz Level 6

mark it in the source monitor .

edit the marks in the sm as well

cue...Jim

• 2. Re: How does one mark a clip on the timeline in CS6?
            wfmc staffer Level 2

Thank You. Yes, I know that I can add markers in source window. Prior to CS6, it was easy to add them on the timeline as well. This comes in very handy at times, like quickly adding sync marks throughout a clip.

• 3. Re: How does one mark a clip on the timeline in CS6?
              wfmc staffer Level 2

Okay, this is the best work around that I can come up with.

1) If there are any clips in the source monitor, use the Source pulldown selector in the left top of the source tab and choose "close all".

2) Que on the timeline to the frame that you want to mark, then double click the clip that you want to mark. The clip will open in the source monitor, qued to the proper frame to add the marker. Use the clip marker in the source window.

3) Repeat. The source monitor must be cleared(close all) before it will que to match your timeline.

• 4. Re: How does one mark a clip on the timeline in CS6?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Adobe mucked up clip markers in CS6, removing almost all sequence functionality for them.  The only thing we can still do is set them, but it's a keyboard shortcut now turned off by default.

Search the shortcuts for clip marker and you'll find it.

And please, send a feature request to restore all the missing clip marker functionality we've enjoyed since Premiere went Pro.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 5. Re: How does one mark a clip on the timeline in CS6?
                  shooternz Level 6

@ wfmc staffer

Its a lot easier than this !

Okay, this is the best work around that I can come up with.

1) If there are any clips in the source monitor, use the Source pulldown selector in the left top of the source tab and choose "close all".

2) Que on the timeline to the frame that you want to mark, then double click the clip that you want to mark. The clip will open in the source monitor, qued to the proper frame to add the marker. Use the clip marker in the source window.

3) Repeat. The source monitor must be cleared(close all) before it will que to match your timeline.

Simply... Position Playhead (CTI) in sequence.

F for Match Frame

M for Marker.

(Mark is updated in the sequence immediately.)

Of course it is even simpler again.. if one marks the Source Clip in the Source Monitor before  Inserting it in the Timeline/ Seq. (eg. while setting In and Out Points.)

I , O, M,  

• 6. Re: How does one mark a clip on the timeline in CS6?
                    wfmc staffer Level 2

Thanks, F + M is much better.

Of course it is even simpler again.. if one marks the Source Clip in the Source Monitor before  Inserting it in the Timeline/ Seq. (eg. while setting In and Out Points.)

I , O, M, 

That doesn't help much for adding sync markers to multiple clips on the timeline. Being able to shift clips on the timeline to bring them into sync, comparing audio waveforms, narrowing down to a to a visual que. That works best for me.

Thanks again

• 7. Re: How does one mark a clip on the timeline in CS6?
                      shooternz Level 6

If I was using Markers to Synch video clips with audio clips..I would be marking the video cue  in the source monitor first before it got to the timeline.

You already a have a visual synch clue (hopefully) on the audio waveform and an audio clue (hopefully) .

• 8. Re: How does one mark a clip on the timeline in CS6?
                        Shane P Level 3

Feature request I sent to Adobe...

----------

*******Enhancement / FMR*********

Brief title for your desired feature: Clip Markers

How would you like the feature to work? Please restore ALL clip marker TIMELINE functionality as in 5.5 and previous releases.

Why is this feature important to you? Because in my daily editing I need to place CLIP markers on specific points on a clip in the timeline to note bad audio, corrections, etc.

If using a sequence marker and a ripple edit is performed the sequences markers are pointless as they are now out of sync with the rippled media.

Adobe has done an overall good job with CS6. Like with any software nothing is bug proof and kinks have to be worked out and patches applied. However Adobe has completely made clip markers virtually unusable in CS6.

I am shocked that Adobe would alter such an important feature to many editors. I don't understand why they were changed? It is not as if it has to do with the "editing experience" or removing the excess "chrome" of the interface.

Very bad move butchering clip markers, I am not the only one if you review the forum.

I love Adobe and their products and have been passionate about Premiere before it was even "Pro". In the south pacific roadshow Karl Soule made a statement that Adobe wants PPro to be "the Photoshop of video"...well for one I would love to see that happen and for Media composer to get knocked off of the throne however that isn't going to happen changing features that existing PPro users have come to love and rely on on a daily basis.

• 10. Re: How does one mark a clip on the timeline in CS6?
                          PixelshotWDC2 Level 1

it seems that this functionality exists, it's just hidden (as Jim mentioned above). I added a keyboard shortcut for "clip marker" and I can now mark the clip by selecting the clip in the timeline and using the shortcut key (in my case - Ctrl-M). Doing so marks the clip, not the timeline, without exiting the timeline.  Of course, my preferred behavior would be to simply use the "m" key when the clip is selected.