6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2012 9:19 PM by iammykyl

Advice on planned build

123dntsdad456

Hi guys

I am a weekend warrior CS5 user. I generally go to a site like video copilot, maxafter, etc. follow their tutorials and make them my own for whatever is going on in my life. Not commercial but for my school (sports and academic awards, etc) and family weddings, graduations and such.

I need a new PC anyway because my 5 year old Dell XPS is struggling.

I want to consider Adobe use in the build but not dictate it. My budget is about $1100, USB3 in front is somewhat importatnt, no gaming on this, and multitasking Photoshop, Premiere and After Effects is a consideration although one can be shut down if needed to fit my budget. I'll do 10-15 project a year.

Render time is a factor but not so much as my preview somewhat keeping up with the scrubline!! LOL IN a decent resolution.

Anyway this is what I planned:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fhGY

Ideally I would like to stick with a midtower case that is less than 17.75" to fit in an existing spot for the CPU. If I would realize greater performance, I can move it and rerun some cabling through the walls.

Someone else suggested to scrap the ATX and go Micro and go with this setup.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fhb6

Route two would cheaper, fit my space which are both awesome but I am leary about using the on board video. I am NO expert but I have always heard that on board video = BAD!!

Any advice??

• 1. Re: Advice on planned build
          JEShort01 Level 4

The first system, the one with the Nvidia video card would be much stronger for CS5. You would be best served by changing out to a cpu choice that is both quad-core and hyperthreaded for Premiere, even if the clock speed is slower. More cores = more speed for many aspects of video work.

Jim

• 2. Re: Advice on planned build
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

First of all, the most important thing to worry about with the case is if it is big enough to handle the graphics card. Also, the larger the case, the easier it is to kep it cool.

Second, I like the i7 over the i5 so maybe you can find some parts in other places that would reduce the cost to allow you to pay for it.

For example, the GTX570 with the i7 would really enhance your editing experience, and put it in the larger of the two cases.

I could swear I saw the GTX580 on major clearance at Fry's the other day. If you live near a Fry's you might want to check out what they have on clearance. Also, they have some heavily discounted items that have been returned. Most items have been unpackaged but not actually used. Or they have been repaired, which means they have been tested more thoroughly during the repair process than a brand new one ever was. Unfortunately they are still way too expensive at the online site.

You threw in two different sets of drives. Why not go with the less expensive of the two arrangements, no matter which processor or case? $20 is $20 if the quality is the same. Right?

I do have to warn you that with all of the Adobe software (and I mean almost ALL!) and the Microsoft Office that I have on my boot drive, with very little of anything else, it would come to 127GB if pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys were added back in. Files I keep on a separate cache drive.

• 3. Re: Advice on planned build
              123dntsdad456 Level 1

I dont have any type of decent local access to parts. Fryes is mostly in the Bay Area about 250 miles away. Amazon Prime is where I usually go. No tax till Sept. and no shipping.

I would like the i7 but I think that along with motherboard etc it gets out of my range.

The first link above is what I had picked out. The second one, I didnt do. that was suggested to me on another forum.

I am going to rework it tonight and see if I can get the i7 in my $1100 budget to work. Can you suggest a mobo that will work with the i7 that comes in about $150.....or preferably less. I will change the drives to what the second link suggest and save a few bucks there also.

I have read about the page file and something else although it esacpes my memory right now, that fills up fast. Those can be directed to another drive correct. I was hoping to get Win7, Adobe, Office on the 128ssd drive without issues.

thanks for any help......and the help given already!!

• 4. Re: Advice on planned build
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>hoping to get Win7, Adobe, Office on the 128ssd drive

I do not use SSD, but my boot drive uses under 60Gig for Win7 & CS5 MC & MS Office & several small programs,

with my Windows paging/swap file directed to another drive
                My 3 hard drives for video editing are configured as...
                1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and ALL program installs (2)
                2 - 320Gig data for Win7 paging swap file and video project files
                When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,
                so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folders and files
                3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (1)
                (1) for faster input/output if you have 4 drives
                - use drive 3 for all source files
                - use drive 4 for all output files
                (2) only 60Gig used, for Win7 & CS5 MC & MS Office & other smaller programs
                Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows paging swap file
                http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

• 5. Re: Advice on planned build
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

123dntsdad456 wrote:

Hi guys

1.  Ideally I would like to stick with a midtower case that is less than 17.75" to fit in an existing spot for the CPU. If I would realize greater performance, I can move it and rerun some cabling through the walls.

2.  Route two would cheaper, fit my space which are both awesome but I am leary about using the on board video. I am NO expert but I have always heard that on board video = BAD!!

Any advice??

1.  Is this built-in space open front and back?  If not you are creating a heat problem, I know I tried it.

2.  In the past Adobe minimum specs call for a discrete graphics card they now only specify OpenGL 2.0 compatibility, but if you want to take advantage of the Mercury Playback Engine hardware acceleration you need an nVidia CUDA card.  The older (less expensive cards) almost all are high wattage cards that goes against your packaging requirements and a new GTX 660 Ti card with only 150 watts consumption at $300 is out of your budget.  As an example a lowly refurbished GTX 280 at Newegg is only $100 but it uses 235 watts.  You have a real tradeoff in your design.

• 6. Re: Advice on planned build
                    iammykyl Level 1

A build for you to consider.

CPU.   2600k,  giving you hyper threading,  modest overclock on the stock cooler.

Mobo, GA Z77 D3H,   gives you 6 satat connectionsb, possible drives.

1.    OS, programs.  1 con.

2.   RAID,0                 2 con.

3    ?.                          1 con.

4    ?.                          1 con.

5    Opticall.               1 con.

Full tower case.

850w, Antec CP PSU.

Forgo the SDD, start with 3 HDDs.

Start with 16GB RAM. 

GPU.   570 with 2.5GB memory.  Could cut the cost here with lowere memory.

Perlone the optical drive fro your existing PC, to get you going.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fucv