• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Local Drive Crashed

Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2008 Feb 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will make this as concise as possible. Forgive any unintended misuse of terms. Am in panic mode today.
1. Issued new computer 3 weeks ago.
2. Large projects on hard drive.
3. Webhelp output of Robohelp projects go to dedicated server for Intranet.
4. New computer hard drive appears to be dead as of this morning (permanently) according to IT.
5. Old computer not reformatted, so it was re-issued to me.
6. Had not made backup for a week, but files are intact on old computer (I know, bad mistake not to backup)
7. Have published Webhelp projects daily since new computer installed, so topics on server are current. The place where they are not current is on hard drive of old computer.
8. Question: How do I bring the Robohelp projects on my C (hard drive) up to date?
8a. Can I drag the folders that have been updated since last week into my project from the server?
8b. If I can't do that, what can I do (other than quietly slip out into the night never to darken these doors again?)

I promise to back up nightly from now on. I am only posting this in one place.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Holly

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 15, 2008 Feb 15, 2008
Both answers were excellent. I'm marking this as the answer with the message that the solutions offered by Captiv8tr and Imarden taken together (or separately) were each worth marking as the answer to my problem (now resolved).

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Holly

Perhaps this link will help?

Hopefully so... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

don't panic - shouldn't be too big a deal to recover here, as long as you have good records to verify the topics and folders you need to recreate on your project. I've been here myself, and lived to tell the tale!!

If you created new folders in your project after leaving your old computer, create the folders again in your older version, with the same names, in RoboHelp.

Import the html files that have been created since the transition into the appropriate folders (new or pre-existing) using the RH import function --> Right-click on the folder that should contain these new topics, select Import from the right-click menu, and navigate to / select the topics to import. You should be able to navigate to the server where these new topics are happily residing as part of the currently published WebHelp. But if you can't get to them, have your IT folks help you copy them to a location you can reach (you can even put them right into the correct project folders in your RH project) and then import them into the project. This is one of those instances where you may have to do a little work in Windows Explorer rather than completely in RH.

If there are topics that you updated in the new system (that existed on the old computer), you can import them as well, and let them overwrite the older version of them, using the same Import function.

remember to update your TOC, your index and glossaries, etc. You might have some broken links here and there to resolve, but again if you have kept good records and pull back in all the new and changed topics, you should be able to fix them easily.

Before you do ANYTHING, make a backup of the older project environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, What Rick said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2008 Feb 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both. I have saved this for what I hope will not be future reference. It seems that everything is back to normal. Your advice was great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2008 Feb 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both answers were excellent. I'm marking this as the answer with the message that the solutions offered by Captiv8tr and Imarden taken together (or separately) were each worth marking as the answer to my problem (now resolved).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 26, 2008 Feb 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
these are the times when RoboSource Control comes in very handy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp