3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2012 12:02 PM by Rick Gerard

after effect cs5-cs6 fast ram preview and ssd...

impeto

Hi, I would like know which ram is the best for a fast (not long) ram preview.

First question: I can buy ddr3 1600 mhz cl9 8gb or 16gb....the quantity of ram improve only the  length of ram preview or I can see a improvement of speed in ram preview?

Second question: If I want a fast ram preview is better buy 1600 mhz cl9 or 2133 mhz cl11?

Other kind of question.....I see that in AE CS6 there is the possiblity to use an SSD for cache.

First question: it's better if I use the ssd wherein is instal the SO for cache or is better if I buy a ssd 32-64 gb only for AE (dedicated to AE)?

Second question: I will see a great difference of performance if I use something like ssd samsung 830 or ssd ocz series 1-2 for the cache?

• 1. Re: after effect cs5-cs6 fast ram preview and ssd...
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

By the fastest memory for your machine you can afford. You can use separate disc in any version of AE for cash. The faster the drive, the faster the playback. The sowdown comes in processing the effects. More you have the longer it takes to render. Writing to the drive and reading from the drive is usually the smallest component of the time required to set up a preview or do a render. If your project involves a lot of footage then you are going to see improvements if the footage is stored on a very fast drive, or better yet, an array.

• 2. Re: after effect cs5-cs6 fast ram preview and ssd...
            impeto Level 1

I understand what you say about ssd and chace but I don't understand about ram.

There are a lot of ram...... and more is the speed of ram and more is the latency.......if you buy 2133 mhz with latency cl9 you will pay a lot of money........ my question is about 1600 cl9 and 2133 cl11 which is better for a fast ram preview.

• 3. Re: after effect cs5-cs6 fast ram preview and ssd...
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know. I've never tested ram. I just always buy the recommended. I cannot imagine that it would make very much difference. You're never going to get a 50% improvement in preview speed by just changing the RAM specifications.