7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2012 2:49 PM by Bill Gehrke

Mac hard drive storage advice

media kat Level 1

I am thinking of upgrading from a Macpro to a iMac, though I currently have 4 storage drives in the Macpro, whereas I can only have 1 in the iMac, with the option for connecting external drives. Someone is offering to sell me an older raid enclosure http://www.planetdv.net/Content/By_Manufacturer/G-Tech/Storage/G-Tech_G-RAID_Pro_FireWire_ RAID_Storage_Solutions_big.asp

I would like to use it not in a raid configuration, but instead just as a way to put 4 drives in it at a time to always have 4 extra drives connected and availalbe on my desktop. Does anyone know if this could be done? Would it work with Premiere?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Mac hard drive storage advice
          Jeff Bellune Level 5

[Moved to Hardware Forum]

• 2. Re: Mac hard drive storage advice
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

After reading the description you provided I do not see an option for JBOD (just a bunch of disks) which would be required for your intended usage.  They seem to only support RAID 0 or RAID 3.  You should check into that before you proceed

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

Also I just saw the major problem with Firewire 800 in this statement.

"That said, G-RAID Pro saturates the FireWire bus bandwidth and provides a minimum sustained data transfer rate of 75 MB/second".

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Mac hard drive storage advice
              media kat Level 1

Hi Bill,

What did you mean by:

"That said, G-RAID Pro saturates the FireWire bus bandwidth and provides a minimum sustained data transfer rate of 75 MB/second".

What does that mean?

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Mac hard drive storage advice
                RjL190365 Level 4

media kat wrote:

Hi Bill,

What did you mean by:

What does that mean?

Thanks.

I'm not Bill, but Firewire 800 cannot sustain anywhere close to 800 MB/s. You see, 800 Mbps is not the same as 800 MB/s. Not even close. 800 Mbps means "800 Megabits per second" whereas 800 MB/s means "800 Megabytes per second". Using the formula that one byte equals eight bits, the maximum theoretical bandwidth of Firewire 800 is only 100 MB/s. And since there is a little bit of overhead caused by the FW800 controller itself and its drivers, the maximum sustainable bandwidth of FW800 is only about 85 MB/s. Add to that additional bottlenecks caused by the FW800 controller in the drive enclosure, and that makes the maximum sustained data transfer rate only 75 MB/s (which is the rate quoted from where Bill got this info from).

• 5. Re: Mac hard drive storage advice

Thanks, what it means is that even Firewire 800 is a lousy disk drive interface and it is no wonder someone is willing to sell it cheap.  What you will need to do is use the Thunderbolt interface and get an external Thunderbolt drive enclosure (G-Raid and others have some) if you want to have some decent drive performance

• 6. Re: Mac hard drive storage advice
                    media kat Level 1

Any idea if a an external Thunderbolt drive enclosure designed for use as a RAID could instead be used as just enclosure for multiple drives that I could access at the same time?

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Mac hard drive storage advice

Well I do not think we could generalize that broadly.  Many RAID enclosures have the capability of being used as JBOD devices, but unless the device specifies JBOD it would not work that way.