8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2012 7:13 AM by careington_cbs

Indesign CS6 errors with Windows 7

careington_cbs Level 1

Windows 7 Professional - 32 Bit

Service Pack 1

12 GB RAM, 3.49GB usable.

Is anyone having issues saving as a .pdf file? When we try to do a save or save as, we often get file is already open, when it really isnt open at least on the task manager. We have to simply do a save as new name for it to save at all. Then of course it becomes annoying as now we have 12 versions that have to be saved in a day, delete the 11 once we are done for the day.

We are also getting lots of freezes and delays when in the Indesign files. This could be old files or new files or even files that were saved as IDML and started over in case of bloating.

We went into preferences and tried better performance under Interface and display performances, but still suffer from delays.

We are showing that all our Adobe Products are up to date based on the update manager.

Thanks everyone.

• 1. Re: Indesign CS6 errors with Windows 7
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You can’t save a PDF file you have to export.

And I’d be real interested to know why you’re using a 32 bit operating system with 12 gigs of RAM.

Bob

• 2. Re: Indesign CS6 errors with Windows 7
            careington_cbs Level 1

Sorry, my bad. Export as a PDF, we get this issue. This is an inherited machine in a corporate environment. We don't get leases like other companies. So, most of our computers here vary from cube to cube.

• 3. Re: Indesign CS6 errors with Windows 7
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Whatever it is, is unique to your setup. I haven’t had this issue at all and I have not seen it reported anywhere else.

Bob

• 4. Re: Indesign CS6 errors with Windows 7
                Maria964 Level 1

Hi,

That happens in my PC. I found it's because the pdf is selected in Explorer and the File Preview Pane is activated. It's the same with MS Word files...

Maria

• 5. Re: Indesign CS6 errors with Windows 7
                  Igorpress Level 1

Yes i have this problem, but have found that if i close Acrobat i can then save/export using the same file name. (cs6/w7)

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Indesign CS6 errors with Windows 7
                    careington_cbs Level 1

Thank you Maria964 and Igopress. I believe my issue is the preview pane. I will definitely uncheck that. I just started using the preview pane because of the ease of looking at the file. I will also double check on Acrobat. I normally do not keep it open, but I will check to see if the task manager has it. Thank you again.

• 7. Re: Indesign CS6 errors with Windows 7
                      RobertoBlake Level 2

In most cases what I've seen happen is that view file after export is selected and whether it actually opens the file or not it will assume it has or it may be somehow open the background. Make sure in the export setting this is deselected. Also upgrade to a 64 Bit version of your Windows OS as soon as possible you're wasting 8GB of Ram and limiting your smooth experience and speed.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Indesign CS6 errors with Windows 7
                        careington_cbs Level 1

Thanks Roberto. We are definitely working on getting a new OS version. Budget...

Also, I am sorry to have not included this detail as it just came to me. The issue happens as I perform the following task.

Cntrl + E = Export

I select the location to export and I select the file if I want to overwrite it, otherwise click the Save Button.

Dialog box "Confirm Save As" appears if it is an overwrite.

Here is where I get the problem. Adobe Indesign Dialog Box "Cannot save to the file 'file name.pdf', because the file is already open." So, it actually happens before the Export Adobe PDF dialog appears for me to uncheck the view pdf option after export.

Now, turning off the preview pane seems to have fixed it. I did not have the file selected in windows explorer. I actually opened three older files that had the save as issues and now they seem to overwrite the files just fine.

Thank you again to everyone. I appreciate your help in this. I will check with my other graphic designer to see if they are having issues as well.