10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2016 3:03 PM by RFSLeander

Error 8800

AHoppes

When I am trying to straighten an image with the ruler tool, I keep receiving the following error:

Error 8800: General Photoshop error occurred. This functionality may not be available in this version of Photoshop.

- The command "Set" is not currently available.Line: 254->          app.activeDocument.activeLayer.isBackgroundLayer = false;

I don't understand why this isn't working because I have used this feature before. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Amanda

• 1. Re: Error 8800
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

What version of photoshop and operating system?

• 2. Re: Error 8800
            AHoppes Level 1

CS6 and Windows 7 Professional

• 3. Re: Error 8800
              conroy Level 5

Is the problem with one particular document or is it a general problem?

• 4. Re: Error 8800
                AHoppes Level 1

I just used the same tool with another photo and I didn't receive the error message. Does it have to do with the background being locked or the file type? If it's the background, I do not get the option to unlock it. I'm newer to Photoshop, so I'm not the best at this figuring this stuff out yet.

Thanks,

Amanda

• 5. Re: Error 8800
                  conroy Level 5

Here with CS6 on a Mac, the Background is automatically converted to an unlocked layer when straightening with the Ruler Tool or the Crop Tool. There could be a glitch in your document. Try saving as a new document then opening that and see if it cooperates with straightening.

• 6. Re: Error 8800
                    JJMack Most Valuable Participant

typical error message you will receive when running Actions and Scripts in the PC version of CS6 if you have un-checked Adobe default Preference interface setting "Open Documnts in Tabs". It is a known bug.....

However I do not think that is your problem.  The statement in the Straighten.jsx script is: line 253 & 254

if (app.activeDocument.activeLayer.isBackgroundLayer == true)

app.activeDocument.activeLayer.isBackgroundLayer = false;  

Which is just trying the set the active background layer to be a normal layer is this layer lock for some other reason then it being the background layer for it does not support tranaparency.  All Backgrounds layer are partially locked because transparency is not supported in the background layer. However you can normally convert them to a normal layer that is what the script is trying to do. The "if"   if (app.activeDocument.activeLayer.isBackgroundLayer == true) it testing if the current active layer is the background layer.  If it is then the statement:        "app.activeDocument.activeLayer.isBackgroundLayer = false;"   converts it to a normal layer.

Message was edited by: JJMack

• 7. Re: Error 8800
                      JJMack Most Valuable Participant

AHoppes wrote:

I just used the same tool with another photo and I didn't receive the error message. Does it have to do with the background being locked or the file type? If it's the background, I do not get the option to unlock it. I'm newer to Photoshop, so I'm not the best at this figuring this stuff out yet.

The "Background Layer" is always locked and no layer can be moved below it. It is always the bottom layer. The one and only one background layer is locked because transparency is not supported in background layers so a Background layer is alway canvas size and can not be moved.  However the background layer can be converted to a normal layer which would unlock the layer for normal layers can be moved and support transparency.

I do not know why the straighten script failed when it tried to convert the background layer to a normal layer. For it looks like the script tested the active layer and found it was the background layer and needed to convert it to a normal layer so it could mask and move it about.  Set to normal layer should be available....

• 8. Re: Error 8800
                        abierwerts

To whom it concerns.

I ran into the same problem with Photoshop CC2014.

It concerned a scanned picture (flatbed scanner). After some research I found out that the scanner software's new version had re-set some of of the default output parameters and that the image - although having a .tif extension -  was read by Photoshop as having a 'bitmap' modus. I changed the scanner software's parameters to RGB 24 bit and it worked !

• 9. Re: Error 8800
                          raulpinadesign

I got the same message with CC2015 when trying to export dartboards to files...

• 10. Re: Error 8800
                            RFSLeander Level 1

I had this problem when trying to work with bitmap pictures. Changing the filetype to grayscale solved the problem for me.