2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2012 6:40 AM by RobertoBlake

Font printing issue with InDesign CS4

JustinAlmeida

Hello all,

I am at my wits end with a small but particular problem. I have an InDesign publication that is using a "Hands" font. For some reason, InDesign will not print a particular text box with just one "hand" character. However, it will print the same hand character in another text box. He're the other weird part. When I export the document to a PDF, the missing hand prints just fine! InDesign just doesn't want to print this particular box and font. Has anybody ran into this problem before?

Thanks a bunch!

• 1. Re: Font printing issue with InDesign CS4
          Alec Molloy Employee Moderator

I'm not sure what the problem is, but if you want, you could solve the problem by converting the character to an outline.

Select the text box, and go to Type > Create Outlines.

Could you provide screenshots of your InDesign document, and perhaps elabourate on what (if anything) the hand looks like when it is printed out.

• 2. Re: Font printing issue with InDesign CS4
            RobertoBlake Level 2

Alec is right the easies way to handle this is to create Outlines which effectively converts the type to a vector shape.
            To be on the safe side I always drag a duplicate of my type outside the print area directly to the left using alt + shift key, that way i still have live type that I can edit if I have to go back. It also keeps the font embeded in the document when I package it so it can be identified by the pritner if needed for some reason.Then I export the PDF and run a Acrobat PRO preflight just to be safe and correct anything in the profile.