9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2012 5:52 PM by Ed Edited It Productions

CS5.0.3 Temp files on C during export even with scratch as E

Ed Edited It Productions Level 1

I have a small project that uses alot of Photoshop files as graphics templates. I thought that because I set my scratch disks to "E" that whenever I would export, it would use "E" as my temp location for any temp files generated/needed during exporting. But for some reason, my exports have been crashing because I'm running out of room on my C drive during the export. I discovered that during exports, there are several Photoshop TEMP files being created on my C drive - each like 3 GB, eventually filling up my C drive. (I confirmed that I set the export render location to E) After the render/export, these Photoshop TEMP files disappear on C. Is this expected behavior? Is there something obvious I can do to make sure all files go to a separate drive? Thanks!

2.jpg

1.jpg

• 1. Re: CS5.0.3 Temp files on C during export even with scratch as E
          Stephen_Spider Level 3

edit >prefs >media.

Change locations to a temp folder on your media drive.

• 2. Re: CS5.0.3 Temp files on C during export even with scratch as E

Thanks, Stephen. I double checked there, too. I restarted, went in and re-assigned everything to E, and exported. I thought that fixed it, as the first export didn't generate the files. But when I tried it again (didn't change anything) the export failed and again I got temp files on C. I don't have the most powerful machine (6 GB RAM), but since this is pretty much Photoshop files only, I didn't think it would be a big deal. And why do you think the Photoshop temp files would be so big? The originals are less than 10MB each. Also, I noticed that after the Premiere crash, the temp files were deleted on C. But when I re-launched the project, they appeared again. Weird. (The source PSDs are on E as well... I tried unticking the "save next to originals" and that made no difference)

3.jpg

• 3. Re: CS5.0.3 Temp files on C during export even with scratch as E
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Are the Photoshop files on C?  If so, uncheck Save Media Cache Files Next to Originals.

Jeff

• 4. Re: CS5.0.3 Temp files on C during export even with scratch as E

Thanks, Jeff. The original PSDs are on E. Unchecking didn't seem to matter. Also, I do *not* have Photoshop open when I do the export. (I forgot to mention that) I *think* this export function invokes Media Encoder, right? I have two versions installed - 5.0 and 5.5. Both media cache files point to the E drive in that application's preferences as well. Lastly, I did go into Photoshop, and make sure my scratch disk was set to E. Thanks for the suggestions...

• 5. Re: CS5.0.3 Temp files on C during export even with scratch as E
                  Stephen_Spider Level 3

Move all source material to media drive?

How much C drive do you have available before exporting?

Is any of your material dependent on dynamic link?

What are the extension on the culprit temp files and how much space do they take in sum?

• 6. Re: CS5.0.3 Temp files on C during export even with scratch as E

Hi Stephen, thanks again for working with me. Everything is on my media drive. (E)  On my C drive, I have about 7.5 GB free. Sometimes when I open the project, or when I export, it goes down to less than 10MB! The whole project folder w/ assets is only about 15GB total. (It's a 1 min video I'm working with) I'm not sure how to answer your question about dynamic link. I have imported Photoshop files (in PSD format). So, yes, I sometimes go in an update a layer in Photoshop, and it propogates into my project. (I usually don't have the two applications open at the same time). Although, this happens whether or not I do any edits in Photoshop. The temp files don't have an extentsion. (See capture above) It's like "Photoshop Temp 59823874698" or something. I don't know how much space they ultimately take up, I can tell you my system runs out of space after sucking up about 7 GBs. Each temp file averages about 3.2GBs.

• 7. Re: CS5.0.3 Temp files on C during export even with scratch as E
                      wfmc staffer Level 2

You really need more space free on your system drive. In Premiere system requirements they recommend at least 10gb, however that is a minimum requirement, so you might look to free up 15-20gb.

Your system can not operate efficiently with your C drive that full.

Good Luck

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: CS5.0.3 Temp files on C during export even with scratch as E
                        ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Adobe like many other applications use the Windows Variable Temp directory for cache files. As an example, if you export out of Premiere and select the queue to media encoder, it will show the C drive instead of the drive where the media is actually located with the Project file. That is because the source that media encoder is seeing is that Windows Variable Temp directory. You can change that by creating a Folder on the E drive called Temp. Then right click on Computer and go to properties. Select Advanced Settings on the Left and then Environment Variables on the bottom of that panel. You will see 2 Temp files and locations listed at the top of the Environment Variables Panel. Select edit and then type or copy/paste in the location of the temp directory created on another drive. Example - E:\Temp

Restart Windows and then the Variable cache should be moving to that directory. Keep in mind that Windows uses those for allot of things. So if that drive is removed or fails you will take a very long time to boot and it will boot with errors.

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: CS5.0.3 Temp files on C during export even with scratch as E

Thank you mfmc and Eric! I *had* 15-20GB free before I installed Premiere on C on my SSD. (So I had MORE than the minimum installation requirements) If I understand wfmc's answer, what Adobe really should say is "15-20GB free on your primary drive after installation." Thanks also to Eric, for explaining how to move the Windows Variable Temp directory to E. I *falsely* assumed that because I set all of my Premiere  "scratch disks" , "media cache" and "preview" files  to the "E" drive, Premiere was only using the "C" drive for the application itself. That's actually a big deal for some folks (and a potential bottleneck), because obviously Premiere is using C for some effort/exports, and if that primary drive is either a slow drive (or if it's um, close to full like my small SSD drive is on my laptop), then Premiere crashes. (Another reason to get my next machine from ADK! )