5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2012 3:55 AM by Leftsidedrive

AMD Radeon 6470 graphic card

Leftsidedrive

I´am unsure about the tech specs for graphic cards concerning After Effects. Note - I am but a humble "amateur" and do not not need the latest, most advanced technology - but I would like to be able to work with some animation on my new computer.

Does anyone now, or have an opinion on, if an AMD Radeon 6470 graphic card, 512 mb,

would work with AE?

• 1. Re: AMD Radeon 6470 graphic card
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

They all "work" with AE as far as basic functionality is concerned. Specific hardware acceleration features may not be available, but depending on what you do and what version of AE you use, this may be a case of "I couldn't care less".  Depends. You'd have to provide more info.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: AMD Radeon 6470 graphic card
            Leftsidedrive Level 1

I mainly work with visuals and experimental shorts, that is, not for a living. Not any complicated 3D-stuff. I have read through Adobes tec specs - that only states Nvidia - but do not really understand whether they are recommendations, or the only graphic cards that works with AE?

• 3. Re: AMD Radeon 6470 graphic card
              Leftsidedrive Level 1

Forgot - it´s AE CS4.

• 4. Re: AMD Radeon 6470 graphic card
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

CS4 is now almost 4 years old and you can assume that any current card surpasses its back then requirements by a factor of 5 at least. Even a 30 Euro card from the budget tray will do, even more so as OpenGL back then nor any other hardware accel features have anything in common with what CS6 does (where the NVidia cards are a requirement for the GPU raytracing, but normal OpenGL and such will work with AMD and intel chips just as well). If at all, your buying decision should be driven by whether or not you use hardware dependent plug-ins liek Optical Flares, Element 3D or Magic Bullet Looks. Other than that you can happily live without OpenGL in AE itself - I have done so for years and even in CS6 I've turned it off where I can because it simply doesn't deliver on its promise.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: AMD Radeon 6470 graphic card
                  Leftsidedrive Level 1

Thank you for your answer! As I hoped for, it seems that as long as I do not work with the latest version of AE can do with a simpler graphis card.