11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2014 3:11 PM by digabyte

Some Keyframe Q's 6.0

EditorPete Level 1

Hi all,

Been working with 6.0 on a couple of projects now. Yes, even on a Mac with hardly any crashes. I think my luck is not having MPE on. Anyway, thats a different discussion. I've been having issues viewing keyframes at the first frame and last frame of my clips in the keyframe animatior. It's almost like I can't scroll over enough to view either left or right. Anyone else?

Next question is if I have two keyframes on any clip, then slip ( I think the shortcut is Y) my clip on the timeline, the keyframes lock with the slip. Sometimes I  want to keep my keyframes right where I animated them and slip just my clips maybe 5 frames or so. Bums me out I can't figure how to lock those puppies down.

Thanks,

Pete

• 1. Re: Some Keyframe Q's 6.0
          shooternz Level 6

It's almost like I can't scroll over enough to view either left or right. Anyone else?

Has been discussed here (in last 2 months)... and one assumes has also been noted by Adobe. N0 way of knowing but if I recall..we got no Adobe response in the thread.

• 2. Re: Some Keyframe Q's 6.0
            EditorPete Level 1

Thanks Shooternz,

Sorry I missed that discussion. I will put a request in to Adobe to maybe help the cause.

Still miffed about the sliding of the keyframes. Maybe another request?

• 3. Re: Some Keyframe Q's 6.0
              Jim_Simon Level 8

You'll have to zoom in to get a better look at keyframes at the beginning or end of a clip.

Because those keyframes are attached to frames, they will move as the frame moves.  Nothing you can do about that.

• 4. Re: Some Keyframe Q's 6.0
                EditorPete Level 1

But Jim, even with the editor zoomed in all the way, sometimes (key word sometimes) the keyframes are out of sight. My fix for now is to advance to the keyframe out of sight, then copy it, delete it and paste it to where I can see it.

Nothing I can do about it??? Thats a big bummer. Major requests for this one then, at least for me. I can't fathom I'm the only one that uses a workflow where you need to adjust your clips timing after already doing some keyframed efx to it.

Thanks,

Pete

• 5. Re: Some Keyframe Q's 6.0
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I think it happens to all of us at some point.  The solution is to move the keyframes back to where we want them.  This is the nature of keyframes.  You couldn't really make it work any other way.  Keyframes that don't stick to the frame would cause a HUGE uproar from editors.

• 6. Re: Some Keyframe Q's 6.0
                    EditorPete Level 1

The problem with moving the keyframes back to where you want them is, if you have a 1 second clip and have a motion effect on it, then slip the clips video down/up by 20 frames, you loose one of your keyframes. It goes totally out of sight. You have to then advance to it by hitting the keyframe arrow, copy it, then paste it, then move the other keyframe. Kind of a long work around in my eyes.

I'm not saying to remove how PrP keyframing works now, but have an option of locking down your keyframes so you can slip your video/audio around. Avid DS had this from the get go. It made my life very easy in not having to thing about adjusting my efx while adjusting my video. I'm a simple guy!! LoL

Pete

• 7. Re: Some Keyframe Q's 6.0
                      [r]Evolution Level 1

There are times when I need to lock Audio/Volume keyframes to the Event & other times when I'd like to be able to lock those same keyframes to the Timeline. Often times, without proper pre-planning, I initially add the wrong kind of Keyframes.

Clip Keyframes:

I've edited a 2 min sequence with Music Duck-Outs & Ins at the appropriate places. Now I'd like to change the Music keeping the Keyframes where they are relative to the Timeline as the Visuals are locked. I can 'Replace w/ Clip from Bin' to change the Music and it comes in w/ Keyframes in place. As soon as I 'Slide' the music so that its timing is more appropriate, the Keyframes 'Slide' as well. They are locked to the Clip.

Track Keyframes:

Had I used Track Keyframes instead, I could have replaced the Music - Slip & Slide till my hearts content, knowing that my keyframes would stay locked to that specific frame on my timeline. they are locked to the Track.

Takes a bit of pre- planning to know which Keyframe style to use as using the wrong one can come back to bite ya in the butt later if changes are needed.

It would be nice to have a way to toggle or promote the same Keyframes between  Clip & Track as today, on this particular project, I'd like to be able to (right-click) Lock these already added Clip Keyframes to the Track.

• 8. Re: Some Keyframe Q's 6.0
                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Uncheck Pin to Clip in the Effect Controls this will give you more viewing space.

• 9. Re: Some Keyframe Q's 6.0
                          EditorPete Level 1

Ann Bens wrote:

Uncheck Pin to Clip in the Effect Controls this will give you more viewing space.

YESSSSSS!!!!!!!

Thanks Ann. Wow what a great find. This will surely save me some time down the road. Thanks a ton.

Pete

• 10. Re: Some Keyframe Q's 6.0
                            digabyte Level 1

"You couldn't really make it work any other way.  Keyframes that don't stick to the frame would cause a HUGE uproar from editors."

I'm not sure why you couldn't make it work any other way.  If the keyframes could "float" then you could slip the video underneath them with the desired result.

The only uproar this would cause from this editor is a "hurrah!" I understand it would be problematic if keyframes didn't usually stick to the clip, but being able to turn it on and off would be immensely helpful.

As was mentioned by someone else, placing keyframes on the track instead of the clip essentially does just this, but if you haven't planned for this ahead of time the point is moot (not to mention there are a lot of keyframe actions that can't be placed on the track).  Thus, the solution would be the possibility of locking/unlocking keyframes regarding their position relative to the track (not the clip).

For instance, I'm using a shot that has keyframes to move the position of the video (the video is chasing a moving graphic).  I want to change the speed of the video.  Doing so obviously changes my in/out points.  Using "slip" to move the video unfortunately moves the keyframes that define the video clip's position so the video  is no longer properly chasing the graphic.  Being able to slip my video without moving my keyframes would would save me having to rebuild the entire video clip with the keyframes that enable chasing the graphic.

Unticking "pin to clip" doesn't seem to do what it suggests.  If I untick "pin to clip," the keyframes still slide with the video clip.

• 11. Re: Some Keyframe Q's 6.0
                              digabyte Level 1

The workaround I have going is taking note  of a single clip keyframe position on the timeline (the time reading in your program window at that keyframe), using the "unpin from clip" as was suggested, making your moves to the clip video, and then selecting ALL of your clip's keyframes on the "effect controls" timeline.  You can then move the single keyframe who's original time you took not of, and since you've selected all of the keyframes, all the keyframes will move and be placed back where they were originally.

Obviously just slipping video without moving the keyframes would be easier, but this is a useable workaround.